No more bubble talk please | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

No more bubble talk please

Georgia Tech has beaten UNC and Dook this season with a first year coach and worse on paper roster
They’re also 10-11. But I do think one thing about the system red has installed is that it is only going to work against good teams if we are loaded in terms of talent. We play a pretty basic straight-up man that struggles with simple actions like high ball screens. Offensively we spend long periods standing around watching someone dribble. If freeman and choppa are in fact elite talents that helps but we will need to be a bit more complex in what we throw at teams, almost regardless of our roster.

As UConn sits at #1 coming off a National Championship, it’s all about Red’s ability to recruit. We got two nice players for next year but I’m a little concerned.
All about impact transfers. You’ve seen the splash SU football has made. Basketball needs to follow suit and get P5 contributors. Feel like we’ve been relying on potential for too long. When potential doesn’t pan out this happens.

Excited to see what Red can do with Bell’s and Taylor’s free up scholarships next year
I'm really tired of how they get associated together.

If people want to think Bell's a problem, he certainly has lousy enough games sometimes that justify that thinking.

But Taylor hasn't had a good game in conference this season yet. At all.

When Bell plays well we're a lot more competitive, and he's been a big part of some good wins.

They aren't the same.

If people want to think Bell's a problem, he certainly has lousy enough games sometimes that justify that thinking.

When Bell plays well we're a lot more competitive, and he's been a big part of some good wins.

They aren't the same.
100 percent. Start Benny like they planned. If he has earned his way back on the team there is no reason he can't start at this point.

Maybe I’m just a minority opinion here, but do people really think we have been any good in last 10 years? Why is everyone like shocked still that this is kinda what this team is and has been? Have not amassed 23 wins since 2013. And have not won more than 20 games in 7 of those years. What is everyone honestly expecting?

And as far as Red is concerned, they haven’t gotten worse. They might not be a good team this year, but they certainly aren’t any worse than last 5 years

i hoped maybe red sitting on the bench and watching his mentor play dudes marathon minutes thought "hey perhaps if i sub dudes out each half and rotate my guys and keep them fresh we won't fade late game/season." well we came out hot second half tonite and ...faded again .
starling and mintz are now both top 10 mpg in a 14 team league. more rotation rotation rotation...

I generally agree with you, but his fatal flaw was not adding a decent forward. I don't remember us even looking for one, but maybe I'm wrong.
I think the idea was Westry was big enough to help there.

FIFY
You fixed nothing for me. JB was the head coach, and he had a stale program and a stale system. HIS recruiting went downhill. You can't reasonably blame that on assistants. That topic has been described and debated ad nasueum. I just don't think it's fair to put that on AA. Give him time, and then we can make a fair assessment of him as a head coach.

Maybe I’m just a minority opinion here, but do people really think we have been any good in last 10 years? Why is everyone like shocked still that this is kinda what this team is and has been? Have not amassed 23 wins since 2013. And have not won more than 20 games in 7 of those years. What is everyone honestly expecting?

And as far as Red is concerned, they haven’t gotten worse. They might not be a good team this year, but they certainly aren’t any worse than last 5 years
People who wanted an outside hire call it out every time we lose and want to blame Red for past seasons failures. It’s that simple.

100 percent. Start Benny like they planned. If he has earned his way back on the team there is no reason he can't start at this point.
I wouldn't be opposed to that, but I think Copeland would help us get off to better starts on offense if he started.

They aren't the same.

I get your point, but just bc Bell is better than Taylor, doesn’t make him good.

Taylor shouldn’t see a minute of PT. I won’t say someone should transfer, but absolutely shouldn’t play.

Bell has started fifty games. This year his Per is 12.6 out counting tonight and TS% is 52.7% not counting tonight.

For us to legit compete, neither can be starting next year. And maybe Bell is in the rotation.

Red inherited a flawed team and he didn't have time to make many roster changes so what did people expect? Next year should be somewhat better and the big jump should be in year 3 as he will have 2 recruiting classes and transfers.
Didn't have time? He was named head coach by like March 9th or 10. This wasnt an unexpected summer transition like at WVU. He had time, made some moves, I don't blame him for Jessie. But let's not say he didnt have time.

Masked by some tourney runs as double digit seeds. Been an argument on here for a while. Some people say the only thing that matters is the tournament, which I don’t agree with. Since the Ennis team fell apart at the end we’ve been on a steady decline. It started with recruiting misses and slowly snowballed into what we are now. A mere shell of a former great program. Every year for the past few seasons it’s been “well next year we should be better.” The program is kind of in a danger zone right now. I look at the parallels to the football program which was a powerhouse for 2 decades and then essentially became irrelevant for 2 decades.

I think the idea was Westry was big enough to help there.
I know people have said that but I don't buy it. Bell, Taylor, Copeland, and maybe even Benny could play the 3. I think Red loves guards and thought the forwards would work out if the guards were good enough. I am sick of talking about "next year's team" in January, but I hope we have a more balanced roster in the future.

At least we're fun to watch again. JB's teams were absolutely brutal to watch the last ~8 years.

As UConn sits at #1 coming off a National Championship, it’s all about Red’s ability to recruit. We got two nice players for next year but I’m a little concerned.
Yep, that title is from Hurley out working our old coach who mailed it in. Now it took Hurley multiple years of recruiting over guys until he got it right. We'll see if Red can do that.

You fixed nothing for me. JB was the head coach, and he had a stale program and a stale system. HIS recruiting went downhill. You can't reasonably blame that on assistants. That topic has been described and debated ad nasueum. I just don't think it's fair to put that on AA. Give him time, and then we can make a fair assessment of him as a head coach.
It’s entirely fair to put his failure to address the obvious flaws on this team via the transfer portal on his shoulders. I don’t know how anyone could look at wake and see them fill holes and think Syracuse had no business expecting the same.

I get your point, but just bc Bell is better than Taylor, doesn’t make him good.
I'm not even saying Bell is good. Just that he can be good, and we've seen him play well, and against the ACC we haven't seen that from Taylor. There are reasons why Bell has far and away made the most 3s on our team this season, and for a team that's at worst bad at shooting and at best inconsistent, that has some value.

I know people have said that but I don't buy it. Bell, Taylor, Copeland, and maybe even Benny could play the 3. I think Red loves guards and thought the forwards would work out if the guards were good enough.
Could be something to that.

Definitely in a better spot than the last 2 years when it was apparent JB had overstayed his welcome.

They aren't the same.
Agree with you, but Taylor needs to be gone, and if Bell stays he needs to come off the bench and not be playing 20+ Minutes a game.
Now if in the off-season Bell works on playing defense, rebounding, and passing the ball. Then we have a different story.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.

If we won tonight, your statement is still true.
Was just an observation at the time but if I need to have a point I guess it's fun to think about if you would rather have their season in year one or ours?

We have been steady and have avoided any truly embarrassing results but haven't competed with a team at the top of the sport since the first 30 minutes in Hawaii. They have lost more games and have two sub-100 losses at home but have also played with and beat two teams that some people and computers consider to be at the top of the sport. Both teams will be watching March Madness on the couches with us. You can make an argument that both year ones put the program on a good trajectory in the immediate future.

I honestly can't decide which season I would prefer because they are both extremely frustrating. It does make me think that their guy might be better with the Xs and Os but I'm very confident that our guy will get the better players. I would very much enjoy us competing with UNC for 40 minutes at home because I think it's an important step in rebuilding the program.

Was just an observation at the time but if I need to have a point I guess it's fun to think about if you would rather have their season in year one or ours?

We have been steady and have avoided any truly embarrassing results but haven't competed with a team at the top of the sport since the first 30 minutes in Hawaii. They have lost more games and have two sub-100 losses at home but have also played with and beat two teams that some people and computers consider to be at the top of the sport. Both teams will be watching March Madness on the couches with us. You can make an argument that both year ones put the program on a good trajectory in the immediate future.

I honestly can't decide which season I would prefer because they are both extremely frustrating. It does make me think that their guy might be better with the Xs and Os but I'm very confident that our guy will get the better players. I would very much enjoy us competing with UNC for 40 minutes at home because I think it's an important step in rebuilding the program.
I mean they're a losing team so I'd rather have ours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom