North Carolina Game Thread... | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

North Carolina Game Thread...

Perk
Left for drinks and came back for ND/Duke 2nd half. Perk was clearly a decoy and nothing more. Didn't know of an injury but it was obvious something was off.

On a side note, the gentleman I believe to be his old man rivals Paduda's pops as the most intense parent in attendance.

Heard from ND friends that he is suffering from a wrist injury from last week. Thought the ND defense did a great job at limiting Duke's offense.

I'm not sold on ND being the 1 seed. I think if Maryland wins the B1G they get it based on the love fest with their conference.

Give ND credit for finding away to win that game without Garnsey and pretty much perkovic. Pretty brutal loss for duke, u need to win that game
Garnsey played & actually scored a big goal with 3mins left (pretty sure that was his only shot) but he & Perkovic were each at about 50%. Perkovic only took 2 shots & was struggling just to make simple passes with his wrist injury. It looked to be pretty heavily taped.

Perk

Heard from ND friends that he is suffering from a wrist injury from last week. Thought the ND defense did a great job at limiting Duke's offense.

I'm not sold on ND being the 1 seed. I think if Maryland wins the B1G they get it based on the love fest with their conference.
Correct. The wrist injury was mentioned throughout the broadcast. Duke scored their 1st goal with 9:04 left in the 3rd Q.

Perk

Agree on both fronts, thought NDs D was excellent. Agree about Maryland especially if they beat Hopkins sat and then win the B10 tourney.

Wat
Correct. The wrist injury was mentioned throughout the broadcast. Duke scored their 1st goal with 9:04 left in the 3rd Q.
watched both games at a bar with friends, no sound on. Didn't know the wrist injury was mentioned during play.

Obviously I couldn't hear... but thanks for the "heads up," fellas. It was clear he wasn't the #16 we are accustomed to.

Who was your coach? Powers? Warner? Other? And who coaches now?
Sean Temple has been HC for 3-4 years now. '99 grad who played at Salisbury & then Cortland St. The program is just not very well run or prioritized. Mostly football, soccer, & hockey players just looking to stay in shape in their offseason.

I had both Powers & Warner as teachers but was a baseball player myself. Growing up, I wanted nothing more than to be a Lax goalie. Had a couple uncles who played Lax. Idolized Rob Mulligan & Jay Pfeifer. My father put me in a summer Lax camp at RFA when I was 9. For safety reasons, they didn't allow goalies in that age group so I played defense & would constantly get yelled at for standing in goal during scrimmages. Once they started putting me in the penalty box for entering the crease & saving shots, I was completely turned off. Chose to become a catcher in baseball & that became my spring/summer through HS. Not sticking with Lax is honestly one of my biggest regrets in life, definitely the biggest of my sports career. I love everything about the sport & have always watched it instead of baseball. Baseball was my best sport (played football, basketball, & ran track) but my least favorite to play, go figure lol Just too slow

Sean Temple has been HC for 3-4 years now. '99 grad who played at Salisbury & then Cortland St. The program is just not very well run or prioritized. Mostly football, soccer, & hockey players just looking to stay in shape in their offseason.

I had both Powers & Warner as teachers but was a baseball player myself. Growing up, I wanted nothing more than to be a Lax goalie. Had a couple uncles who played Lax. Idolized Rob Mulligan & Jay Pfeifer. My father put me in a summer Lax camp at RFA when I was 9. For safety reasons, they didn't allow goalies in that age group so I played defense & would constantly get yelled at for standing in goal during scrimmages. Once they started putting me in the penalty box for entering the crease & saving shots, I was completely turned off. Chose to become a catcher in baseball & that became my spring/summer through HS. Not sticking with Lax is honestly one of my biggest regrets in life, definitely the biggest of my sports career. I love everything about the sport & have always watched it instead of baseball. Baseball was my best sport (played football, basketball, & ran track) but my least favorite to play, go figure lol Just too slow

Great post. Just got home from Durham. Too many pints to respond proper tonight though. I'll hit this after some shut-eye.

Overall, losing this game is not such a big deal.Winning the ACC tournament the last 2 years has not served them well in the NCAA tournament.In fact Carolina won the championship after losing this round last year.Same with Duke in 2014...They get to go home a little early now and recharge their batteries for the final stretch run.

Utica College should commit to go to D1.

So here's the question - if UNC wins on Sunday they will be 7-6 (and eligible for the tournament).

Resume? 2 Top 5 wins, 1 Top 10, 1 Top 20 (this is the IL manner of looking at wins).

Do they make it? Good arguments either way.

So here's the question - if UNC wins on Sunday they will be 7-6 (and eligible for the tournament).

Resume? 2 Top 5 wins, 1 Top 10, 1 Top 20 (this is the IL manner of looking at wins).

Do they make it? Good arguments either way.

That is a very good resume. Also, three losses we're to top teams in which they played very good.

In my vast inexperienced, unprofessional opinion, their record is better than most. They get in over fluffy schedules/records.

Plus, the B1G tourney is likely to remove one or two of the teams from NCAA tourney freeing up a slot or two.

Overall, losing this game is not such a big deal.Winning the ACC tournament the last 2 years has not served them well in the NCAA tournament.In fact Carolina won the championship after losing this round last year.Same with Duke in 2014...They get to go home a little early now and recharge their batteries for the final stretch run.

I dont disagree but keep in mind three years ago SU lost in the title game and then promptly got upset by Bryant as the 2 seed in the 1st round. That 1st half performance was extremely disheartening and has raised some new questions.

They would have to go Div 1 in all sports if they wanted to go to Div 1 lax and thats not going to happen
That's too bad. The Utica-Rome area is a good size for FCS football and D1 lax.

Was JHU grandfathered?

Yes, NCAA doesn't allow partial Div 1 members anymore, your either all in or out unless you got grandfathered like jhu or the ivy league with fball

I knew Temple, he graduated two years ahead of me. He was '97, I was '99. Sounds like the program is in the same place as it was almost 20 years ago. It was always tough to head down the Thruway and be the doormat for the OHSL. But although wins were scarce it was such a great time. It was never about winning(although that would have been nice). It was about lacrosse. There isn't a better sport in my mind.

Powers was my coach... thought he did a good job with what he had and what we competed against. I loved playing for him. Not sure he even teaches anymore, which is too bad. I didn't have him as a teacher but everyone I knew that did said he was great.

As for not playing, that is unfortunate. You wanted to be a lacrosse goalie? Insanity.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

There is only 1 lesson for the team to take from this game. Teams are hungry as he** when facing elimination and the end of their season.

The ACC tourney takes place 2 weeks before the NCAA tourney. We play a game, usually Colgate, each year the weekend between the 2 simply to stay fresh & keep from getting rusty. Outside of a potential injury that could happen in any game, IMO, success/advancement or lackthereof in the ACC tourney has abosolutely ZERO impact on NCAAT performance. I've never understood why people attempt to correlate the 2.

Was at the game yesterday, what an incredible evening for lax. Great atmosphere and beautiful weather. The SU crowd was plentiful and impressive. I believe we out numbered the UNC faithful and certainly put them to shame from a noise standpoint. Even in the first half, our fans were still cheering and attempting to get our guys out of the funk they were in...pretty amazing considering that was about the worst first half I can recall SU playing in I don't know when.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom