Northwestern fires Pat Fitzgerald after hazing inquiry | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Northwestern fires Pat Fitzgerald after hazing inquiry

Sometimes numbers don’t tell the whole story and sometimes numbers can be manipulated to tell a story that you’d like to tell. Bottom line, Fitzgerald is a very good coach. Better than many and most certainly Schiano (and Dino too. I know people will want to debate, but knowledge college football followers outside CNY would not debate).

This situation is unfortunate.

I think these types of situations are more common throughout a number of programs than most would realize, which is gross, I know. I LOVE college football and it saddens me. I will also admit that I hypocritically, willfully choose to remain ignorant of all the bad stuff, just so I can watch my favorite sport on Saturdays. Having said that, if they universally tried to clean up all the crap that happens everywhere, even if it messed up my Saturdays, I’d be 100% behind it.
I said he was better than Greg

I also said the numbers show they are tailing off, and their records and performance the last few years are Rutgers esque

I said he was better than Greg

I also said the numbers show they are tailing off, and their records and performance the last few years are Rutgers esque
Agree. They are having some down years, but it is very hard to win there. In any case, we’ll see where this all goes.

This article reads to me like 1 against the rest of the team. If it’s systemic and truly causing issues/trauma let’s figure it out and clean it up.

If it’s one kid who was a HS all-star with a fragile ego who didn’t make it or fit in and went scorched earth, let’s clean that up too.

Regardless, it’s Fitzgerald’s program to monitor. But, unless more people come out on the accusers side of the story, I think this ends where it started. Short suspension and keep it moving.

Last edited:
This article reads to me like 1 against the rest of the team. If it’s systemic and truly causing issues/trauma let’s figure it out and clean it up.

If it’s one kid who was a HS all-star with a fragile ego who didn’t make it or fit in and went scorched earth, let’s clean that up too.

Regardless, it’s Fitzgerald’s program to monitor. But, unless more people come out on the accusers side of the story, I think this ends where it started. Short suspension and keep it moving.

I don't know. The story in the Northwestern student paper said there was a second player that confirmed everything and, even though details varied, the other players interviewed gave enough information to confirm there was stuff going on.

I don't know. The story in the Northwestern student paper said there was a second player that confirmed everything and, even though details varied, the other players interviewed gave enough information to confirm there was stuff going on.
And I believe there were a few other former players who confirmed at least some of it to other reporters who reported it on Twitter.

And I would think the picture of the whiteboard with "Runsgiving" and "Shrek's list" is pretty strong evidence when combined with what was said.
Oh I’m not saying it didn’t happen at all. I’m saying nobody else is coming forward to say it bothered them.

I have a home in Evanston and this is a joke

The stuff described should be death penalty stuff. Shut the program down for a year. Get rid of all football staff. Every player transfers out, except the players that get to go jail. Start over from scratch. It doesn't even matter if some people didn't know. Sometimes innocent people get caught in the wake of fixing something.
Death penalty. Right. It wasn't done to Penn State and they had crimes committed against children. It's not going to happen here.

All it takes is one person. That's how Mike Leach lost his job at Texas Tech and he didn't do anything that was alleged.

Death penalty. Right. It wasn't done to Penn State and they had crimes committed against children. It's not going to happen here.

All it takes is one person. That's how Mike Leach lost his job at Texas Tech and he didn't do anything that was alleged.
I'm not saying it will. I'm saying it should. And the difference is this is something that seems to be woven into the fabric of the program. Penn St was a perverted old man doing it in the shadows and Paterno did ultimately lose his job because he turned a blind eye to it.

I'm not saying it will. I'm saying it should. And the difference is this is something that seems to be woven into the fabric of the program. Penn St was a perverted old man doing it in the shadows and Paterno did ultimately lose his job because he turned a blind eye to it.
What Sandusky did was woven into the fabric of the program as well. He used the program as his preying grounds. Paterno lost his job only because of public pressure.

Paterno didn’t just turn a blind eye to it, he tried to suppress it.

Paterno didn’t just turn a blind eye to it, he tried to suppress it.
Sure. That wasn't my point. My point was that it wasn't a significant portion of the team participating in it. Coaching and admin changes were required but not changes amongst players. This is sexual assault by players with seemingly acceptance by the coaches. It is woven through the fabric of the program.

What Sandusky did was woven into the fabric of the program as well. He used the program as his preying grounds. Paterno lost his job only because of public pressure.
See my post above. It didn't involve the players.

A new set of allegations:

A new set of allegations:

They mentioned "the carwash" in that article too.

If there is evidence for the allegations, I don't know that this matters. If I had been assaulted, I would make it a goal to take him down too.
Exactly. Blaming the victim seems to always be a go-to move in damage control.

ESPN seems to enjoy promoting the irrational defense response.

Exactly. Blaming the victim seems to always be a go-to move in damage control.

ESPN seems to enjoy promoting the irrational defense response.
I'm fine with telling the whole story from every angle. I just don't think it matters if a guy has any vendetta if the allegations are true. And sometimes vendettas are justified anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom