Not what we wanted but pretty much meaningless | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Not what we wanted but pretty much meaningless

Exactly. I mean a lot of these kids have been told they’re not wanted anymore. And their replacements are on the way… some were on the sideline. I mean could you imagine if your boss told you you’re being replaced but you had to do one final presentation wh I’m evyour replacement was in the room?

I don’t blame some of these kids for checking out.
I realize how disheartening it definitely has to be. However if I got the opportunity on a national stage on tv, wanting to continue playing somewhere else, prove the new coach’s evaluation as being wrong, prove to other programs that I was a motivated,competitive player who could be of value to help another program - I sure hope I’d take advantage of the opportunity to prove it. They will need to prove it if they plan to continue playing elsewhere. Sadly in most other normal jobs in that situation, you don’t get that chance. Otherwise it‘s actually accepting that when someone says I’m not good enough, making the decision to prove they were right, by “checking out”. This isn’t even taking into account that it’s a last chance to play with teammates who have shared so much together. Sure seems contrary to me, how a competitive, motivated person would react. Thinking I hope ‘we’ look bad assuming it hurts only ‘them’ is puzzling to me. Just my opinion.

LQAJ had 20 carries for 2 yards and a fumble. if he came here to showcase his draftability he took a big hit. IMO dan villari might be better suited at fullback than tight end. and he's definately not a QB. lose the gloves.

Last edited:
So many things wrong on that play.

First, don’t think it was a turnover.

Second, don’t think it was a penalty.

Third, incredibly stupid to throw the block.

I’m not sure which mistake was the most egregious.

What I don’t understand is, how is that a blindside block? They were both running side by side looking the same way. It was a violent block, yes. But I thought blindside was when you didn’t see the guy coming.
It was a horrible, call, plain and simple, I do not blame the kid. He has no idea where exactly Clark was if you look at his head and thinks it is necessary to make it the Block to ensure he scores.

Bs call, add it to the litany of horrendous game changing calls against us this year and in past years.

Last edited:
I can't believe what I saw last night. As far as I am concerned I feel that Syracuse just looked at our list of new players coming in and assumed that they were going to lose their starter roles for next year and gave up. It will be interesting to see how many transfer after that fiasco. There is no way we were that bad. The coaching also was terrible.
I agree that team is way better then what we saw, this game was more of a case of them being fully checked out then the actual talent on the team. Coaching was terrible but the results of the game were sort of what I was expecting. Just maybe not that bad lol.

Yeah, the team was completely unprepared and did not care, most coaches did not either. Many of the kids were checked out and saw a lot of bickering on the field, players coaches all bickering at one another. Those still in Dino’s camp and those moving onto Fran’s camp. Just a horrible situation and this is the result. nobody cared, the plan sucked, the effort was worse and the players rolled over. and the ship was Rutterless. these are exhibition games but that was a team who did not want to play and was completely unprepared

there are probably 10-12 kids on this current roster worth keeping around after an effort like that.
and it was all laid bare in front of FB. If you're looking to stay and gave meh effort, I hope he bids them Adieu. From my seat. I keep Villari, LQA, and move on from the rest on O. Ill bet there are "talks" happening right now

I think it was just a bad call. The hit's initiated at like the 18 yard line, the defender can definitely see it coming, Clark's at about the 15 when it happens, and it's a live ball.

You coach guys to play to the whistle.

It was a bs call and a forward pass anyways. The intentional grounding was wrong to. The officiating was bad as per usual.

Last edited:
Disagree. That was epic. 3 National disasters. I hope it hasn't hurt Frans chances with the portal. I knew they were bad, but comedy show bad? It didn't help Fran one bit.
I agree, and I can guarantee Fran wouldn’t call that game meaningless or something to flush. Sure, he will say to move on from it but there’s something to be said about caring for the brand at all times.

You are permitted to forget.

I just don't understand the hand wringing from folks. This is really easy to shrug off. Or at least should be. There are plenty of reasons to flush it and move on.

There certainly are.

Benny Hill theme.
lest we forget the final punt could well have been a safety to add to the disgrace. had we just taken a knee on 4th down i highly doubt UCF would have done anything other than take a knee and run out the clock.

Disagree. That was epic. 3 National disasters. I hope it hasn't hurt Frans chances with the portal. I knew they were bad, but comedy show bad? It didn't help Fran one bit.
I agree, and I can guarantee Fran wouldn’t call that game meaningless or something to flush. Sure, he will say to move on from it but there’s something to be said about caring for the brand at all times.
You're not talking about brand, you're taking a narcissistic view of program perception.

Florida State was the victim of the worst decision in the history of college football, and it's forgotten. Our losses this season aren't even on the radar.

Fran's a capable communicator. The result sucked for fans but he will be able to sell opportunity off of it.

We're fine.

You're not talking about brand, you're taking a narcissistic view of program perception.

Florida State was the victim of the worst decision in the history of college football, and it's forgotten. Our losses this season aren't even on the radar.

Fran's a capable communicator. The result sucked for fans but he will be able to sell opportunity off of it.

We're fine.
Narcissistic view? Now there’s a take.

We're fine.
People making fun of how much your program sucks is never a good thing. Plenty of these.

Narcissistic view? Now there’s a take.
Yes, narcissistic.

The fans wallowing in the loss are justifying their feelings by projecting a Syracuse-centric view on to discourse.

There are two really interesting phenomena at play you see at work in sports fans. They're called BIRGing and CORFing. Our fans seem to be very good at BIRGing and terrible at CORFing, and I'm advocating for a healthier fan, which means more CORFing.

BIRGing stands for basking in reflected glory. When our team does something good, we feel better about ourselves. We saw it first hand when the extreme oriented run offense worked against Pitt. Lots of people really embraced the temporary identity there. We out toughed Pitt, a team that normally out toughs us. Let's not pretend, we had a lot of fans riding high off of that, and it wasn't just because we won a game. BIRGing at play.

CORFing stands for cutting off reflected failure. This is what I think a lot of our fans, if they got better at it, would be healthier and happier. An example is when you see less people in public wearing Syracuse gear after a bad loss. The fans are not associating with the recent failure.

I'm being so repetitive about all of this because it's disturbing to me seeing the self-flagellation some of our fans are subjecting themselves to for a bottom tier bowl result at a time when the results of that game, amid everything else going on, are absolutely inconsequential.

CORF. For the love of Otto, CORF.

In Fran Brown we trust.

Last edited:
Yes, narcissistic.

The fans wallowing in the loss are justifying their feelings by projecting a Syracuse-centric view on to discourse.

There are two really interesting phenomena at play you see at work in sports fans. They're called BIRGing and CORFing. Our fans seem to be very good at BIRGing and terrible at CORFing, and I'm advocating for a healthier fan, which means more CORFing.

BIRGing stands for basking in reflected glory. When our team does something good, we feel better about ourselves. We saw it first hand when the extreme oriented run offense worked against Pitt. Lots of people really embraced the temporary identity there. We out toughed Pitt, a team that normally put toughs us. Let's not pretend, we had a lot of fans riding high off of that, and it wasn't just because we won a game. BIRGing at play.

CORFing stands for cutting off reflected failure. This is what I think a lot of our fans, if they got better at it, would be healthier and happier. An example is when you see less people in public wearing Syracuse gear after a bad loss. The fans are not associating with the recent failure.

I'm being so repetitive about all of this because it's disturbing to me seeing the self-flagellation some of our fans are subjecting themselves to for a bottom tier bowl result at a time when the results of that game, amid everything else going on, are absolutely inconsequential.

CORF. For the love of Otto, CORF.

In Fran Brown we trust.
All is vanity under the sun.

I'm sorry, that has one heart on it.

People are going to make fun online of everything and anything they possibly can.

It. Does. Not. Matter.
The game didn’t matter and wasn’t indicative of the current trending of the program, but it still bothers me that it feeds into the perception that the program has been poor for the last 20 years. I’d like for the perception of the program to change. For that reason, the result vs USF was disappointing. My hope is that next year’s results will make the turnaround that much sweeter and will begin to change that perception.

The game didn’t matter and wasn’t indicative of the current trending of the program, but it still bothers me that it feeds into the perception that the program has been poor for the last 20 years. I’d like for the perception of the program to change. For that reason, the result vs USF was disappointing. My hope is that next year’s results will make the turnaround that much sweeter and will begin to change that perception.
The only thing running through my brain during the game was exactly this. Although it sucks now, the level of evaluation fran and company were given was invaluable.

Yeah, look at it like this - that perception doesn't change over night. That bowl game just delayed changing that perception a tiny, little bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom