Notre Dame Gameday... | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Notre Dame Gameday...

If he wants to make an argument for why it is laughably funny to suggest that we are not that much worse than Hopkins then that is totally fine. But don’t react to my posts like that. Please just ignore me instead

I've been told by a reliable source that last year the team lost confidence in GG and that was part of why they finished the season so poorly. Could that happen again? Hopefully with the leadership of Kirst & Simmons it won't. But . . . .

You've said this a few times. My understanding is that Gait was pretty miserable to those on the team last year that he didn't feel were "up to it." I'm not sure if I would equate that to "losing" the team. I'm not sure he gave a crap what those kids thought. (Whether that's an appropriate way to be or not is another issue)

pederson has family history at both virginia and michigan and his best friend goes to hopkins. cuse will have a tough time grabbing him

they may have a chance with jake stevens. i would say sam english as well but i assume he will want to play with one of his brothers

simmons was a good pickup but i dont know if i'd call him one of the top transfers. i was talking mcconvey, mazzone, hudgins, tevlin, fake. those kind of guys. all americans. simmons is a tier below

Lax Bros -----> Finance Bros.

Explains why our women's team is borderline a juggernaut while our men's recruiting floundered for half a decade.

Last edited:
You've said this a few times. My understanding is that Gait was pretty miserable to those on the team last year that he didn't feel were "up to it." I'm not sure if I would equate that to "losing" the team. I'm not sure he gave a crap what those kids thought. (Whether that's an appropriate way to be or not is another issue)
You may be right that he didn't care last year. The direct quote told to me last summer was that "he lost the lockerroom". The original source was an alum of the SU MLAX program.

Also, I'm having doubts that Gary Gait is "up to it". I first wrote an email to John Wildhack almost 6 years ago that he should replace John Desko with Gary Gait. I followed up with a similar email 2 years later. (Both times I received thoughtful replies.) I now think I might have been mistaken. As do some others on this Board. Of course most of us don't know the relationship he has with the current team, or the players have with him. But I wonder how some of the better players who are used to having hands-on coaching react to him possibly just acting like a CEO.

Also, I'm having doubts that Gary Gait is "up to it". I first wrote an email to John Wildhack almost 6 years ago that he should replace John Desko with Gary Gait. I followed up with a similar email 2 years later. (Both times I received thoughtful replies.) I now think I might have been mistaken. As do some others on this Board. Of course most of us don't know the relationship he has with the current team, or the players have with him. But I wonder how some of the better players who are used to having hands-on coaching react to him possibly just acting like a CEO.

I've posted this before - he was going to get hired. There's no way around it. Whether he is "up to it" remains to be seen. He said we'd be good in year three. This is year two and we've already seen a decent improvement.

So much handwringing about mistakes, and coaching, etc., when the reason we lose to elite teams is because we have a significant talent deficit. The gap is closing. It'll take a few years.

We have significant embedded recruiting disadvantages (which is incredible to type given the Program's history). We need someone who can kill it recruiting. Hopefully this trio is it because that's the only way we get back to the top again.

I've posted this before - he was going to get hired. There's no way around it. Whether he is "up to it" remains to be seen. He said we'd be good in year three. This is year two and we've already seen a decent improvement.

So much handwringing about mistakes, and coaching, etc., when the reason we lose to elite teams is because we have a significant talent deficit. The gap is closing. It'll take a few years.

We have significant embedded recruiting disadvantages (which is incredible to type given the Program's history). We need someone who can kill it recruiting. Hopefully this trio is it because that's the only way we get back to the top again.
I agree. Thank you.

As for the outlook for the Princeton and the other future games I worry now about the psyche of the team given the total collapse yesterday after the Finn Thomson goal/no goal. And it wasn't just losing faceoffs. GG seemed to do nothing to stop the onslaught. Like maybe call a timeout to calm them down and boost them up. An experienced coach might have called a timeout right after ND scored that next goal. I've been told by a reliable source that last year the team lost confidence in GG and that was part of why they finished the season so poorly. Could that happen again? Hopefully with the leadership of Kirst & Simmons it won't. But . . . .

I can say I've heard rumblings that there are some Internal issues again. I wouldn't be shocked if there was staff turnover. From a Gait standpoint I think were a year away from knowing for sure but I think there are major question marks and concerns.

I was also at the game and thought that Finn's 4th quarter goal was good. After the goal was waived off, I had to look up the rule. Unfortunately for us, it was a good call by the officials and not so good for us, since at that point the momentum shifted at the same time that fatigue set in. So, a double wammy. But the first 48 minutes were exciting.

I see that many of our members are disappointed and getting impatient; but It's going take at least 3 years, if not 4, to get a team that can play "Gait Ball." What we are seeing is the beginning of it now with the performance of this young offense ... the passing, exciting style of play, the heart and the hustle. It seems to me there's one piece in place with more to follow. But it is going to take more time since "Gait Ball" is not taught in high school lacrosse. I'm looking forward to enjoying the ride.

Definitely not a troll. A little snarky sometimes but he posts valuable insight. Unless he’s just making things up (which I don’t think he is) I’ve learned a lot from his posts. I like when other posters from different teams post here. It would be boring if it was just us SU fans trying to make ourselves feel better. His post about the Fogo from Binghamton is why I log in here.
It’s not that he makes things up and it’s not that I have a problem with posters from other teams here. They are always welcomed. It is not anything to do with wanting a cushy environment free from criticism or adversity. Things are rough and I accept that. But he can’t troll me like that. It’s a pattern. He can’t just put a laugh react on my post and dip without saying anything further. Obviously if it’s a one time thing it’s no biggie but it’s a pattern of him doing that to me after we lose a game and tensions are high. He was doing the same thing last year when things got tougher as the season went on. That at least has to stop and I’m sure we can agree on that. Discuss lax. Keep the rest out of it. I will strive to be better as well and do the same if he does.

On Landon Clary's IG story last night he posted something like "Thanks to Four Great Years ... Here's to One More". He walked for senior year day, but I assume that means he is coming back for a fifth year. That's good news. Would be great if he could stay healthy for a full year, as he's clearly talented.

On Landon Clary's IG story last night he posted something like "Thanks to Four Great Years ... Here's to One More". He walked for senior year day, but I assume that means he is coming back for a fifth year. That's good news. Would be great if he could stay healthy for a full year, as he's clearly talented.

Junior Year (2023): Played in seven games so far.

Sophomore Year (2022): Played in the last-nine games of the year after missing the first five games.

Freshman Year (2021): Saw action in three games before suffering a season-ending injury vs. Vermont

Freshman Year (2020): Appeared in the last-four games of a shortened five-game season

Since 2020 doesn't count, he could take 2021 as an injury redshirt, which would give him 2024 & 2025 left to play, if the NCAA approves his waiver.

I still have faith in head coach Gary Gait and I have faith in this team. He is having an influence on the offense and the offense is actually really good. Only two other teams have reached 12 goals on this ND team and that is MD (12) and UVA (15) and that was with days a heck of a lot better than 30% at the faceoff X. They had the ball more than once in the last 10 minutes.

What happened to the talk of how we never share the ball and just take turns dodging with no movement? It went away because this years O shattered that stereotype. And it's beyond whats on the field. We know he has an influence in recruiting as well, not just March and Petro. Trey Deere cited his meeting with Gait as a reason for him coming here. Finn Thomson said the same in his interview for the IL AA rankings. Specifically the call with Gait is what made him change his mind about Michigan. The guy brings in talent, just like he did as the women's coach, and that talent is getting it done on O this year. You can see the vision. Indoor play style meets the outdoor game. We turn the ball over less than any team in the nation. It's paying dividends and its still early and with mostly young talent. There is a sense of identity. March of course is a big factor there as well and I think he is doing a good job this year.

It's not that he doesn't share the blame for other parts of the game. Head coach is a factor for every aspect. But if anyone is going to take primary blame for the massive goal totals every good team is putting on us it's Petro. Petro is also a primary factor in penalties and the clearing game (which has been overall good this year). Against good teams the offense has not slowed down much outside of Hopkins. Aside from that game, you cannot say the same for the D. I think he has some more talent/injury disadvantages than the offense to deal with, but his name is coming up a heck of a lot less than Gaits as a concern in this thread and it's surprising to me.

I think there is still plenty to criticize. I hate how we are finishing games this season on all sides of the ball. Part of that is how he chooses to play fatigued guys rather than less skilled but full energy bench players, timeouts, etc. But it simply is not all a disaster. We have only lost to top 10 teams this season. These aren't irrelevant teams we are losing to. Something is brewing and I stand by that. They don't play like a team that has given up or isn't bought in. They are close.

Lets win against Princeton. We can do it! Lets put it together and win the damn thing. We can still make the playoffs this season.

Clary looks OK here...

339743852_539741031396884_8612911920171560545_n.jpg

I can say I've heard rumblings that there are some Internal issues again. I wouldn't be shocked if there was staff turnover. From a Gait standpoint I think were a year away from knowing for sure but I think there are major question marks and concerns.
Care to share with the class?

Probably from players who know they're gone.

I still have faith in head coach Gary Gait and I have faith in this team. He is having an influence on the offense and the offense is actually really good. Only two other teams have reached 12 goals on this ND team and that is MD (12) and UVA (15) and that was with days a heck of a lot better than 30% at the faceoff X. They had the ball more than once in the last 10 minutes.

What happened to the talk of how we never share the ball and just take turns dodging with no movement? It went away because this years O shattered that stereotype. And it's beyond whats on the field. We know he has an influence in recruiting as well, not just March and Petro. Trey Deere cited his meeting with Gait as a reason for him coming here. Finn Thomson said the same in his interview for the IL AA rankings. Specifically the call with Gait is what made him change his mind about Michigan. The guy brings in talent, just like he did as the women's coach, and that talent is getting it done on O this year. You can see the vision. Indoor play style meets the outdoor game. We turn the ball over less than any team in the nation. It's paying dividends and its still early and with mostly young talent. There is a sense of identity. March of course is a big factor there as well and I think he is doing a good job this year.

It's not that he doesn't share the blame for other parts of the game. Head coach is a factor for every aspect. But if anyone is going to take primary blame for the massive goal totals every good team is putting on us it's Petro. Petro is also a primary factor in penalties and the clearing game (which has been overall good this year). Against good teams the offense has not slowed down much outside of Hopkins. Aside from that game, you cannot say the same for the D. I think he has some more talent/injury disadvantages than the offense to deal with, but his name is coming up a heck of a lot less than Gaits as a concern in this thread and it's surprising to me.

I think there is still plenty to criticize. I hate how we are finishing games this season on all sides of the ball. Part of that is how he chooses to play fatigued guys rather than less skilled but full energy bench players, timeouts, etc. But it simply is not all a disaster. We have only lost to top 10 teams this season. These aren't irrelevant teams we are losing to. Something is brewing and I stand by that. They don't play like a team that has given up or isn't bought in. They are close.

Lets win against Princeton. We can do it! Lets put it together and win the damn thing. We can still make the playoffs this season.
Well said!!!!

Care to share with the class?

Not a lot to share unfortunately/fortunately. Hearing similar things to last year around this time and just had another person beyond my source echo the same thoughts. A lot of it seems to be a disconnect between the staff and some players and relationships or lack thereof. Don't want to get to deep into it but the next two months will tell a lot if you catch my drift.

Probably from players who know they're gone.

That could be, however, while specific names weren't used the impression given is that some of the players were definitely high profile or at least starters.

pederson has family history at both virginia and michigan and his best friend goes to hopkins. cuse will have a tough time grabbing him

they may have a chance with jake stevens. i would say sam english as well but i assume he will want to play with one of his brothers

simmons was a good pickup but i dont know if i'd call him one of the top transfers. i was talking mcconvey, mazzone, hudgins, tevlin, fake. those kind of guys. all americans. simmons is a tier below

According to a poster on FanLax it sounds like Sam English is Syracuse bound for next season. That would be a really great pickup. I’ve read enough rumors that proved to be false on college lax message boards, but fingers crossed it’s true. Also fingers crossed he brings along some of his teammates who are also in the portal.

According to a poster on FanLax it sounds like Sam English is Syracuse bound for next season. That would be a really great pickup. I’ve read enough rumors that proved to be false on college lax message boards, but fingers crossed it’s true. Also fingers crossed he brings along some of his teammates who are also in the portal.

Would certainly be a great pick up. Besides FOGO the staff did do a pretty good job in the portal. Kirst, Simmons, Mark were all excellent pickups.

Would be a great pick up. Honestly dont feel like we need any more of their strictly offensive players. But Jake Stevens and Beau Pederson would be massive gets. If I had my pick of one princeton player in the portal it would be Pederson or Stevens. We need the additional athleticism at ssdm/middle of the field most desperately. Lots of guys in the fold on offense, including freshman who could take big steps forward their sophomore year.

That could be, however, while specific names weren't used the impression given is that some of the players were definitely high profile or at least starters.

Saam Olexo has connections to UVA as his brother played there. Always thought he might move to greener pastures. Luckily we've kinda of had their numbers the past couple years

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom