Nova represents everything right about CBB | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Nova represents everything right about CBB

JB has been the closer.
He never was the main recruiter recently. Look at his USA basketball commitments for that.
Our assistants were doing that.
Hop leaving motivated JB.
JB was more energized last summer recruiting Tucker.
Griffin was the lead recruiter and did get us Bazley. He was in Ohio as an assistant for Dayton and got us Bazley.
Autry was the same for Carey.

A lot of our recruits were brought in by Hop and JB was the HC. When Hop left last year Lydon was gone. Lydon was a Hop guy. JB didn’t even know he had signed with an agent at his PC.

This year has been a pass nobody had expectations but the product is brutal and if people complain about that it’s unreasonable or overtly negative it’s being a realist.

I agree with a lot of your points actually. I think Hop leaving def motivated JB which has been the best thing for our program going forward, it stabilized it. Ill even agree that he def seemed to take a hands off approach in regards to recruiting but I think we can all agree that has been changed. You see him at many more events and out on the recruiting trail now. Overall our recruiting approach has changed and we have cast a much wider net, which illustrates to me we recognized some of our issues and are addressing them. Ill disagree with you and say the product has been brutal though, the offensive end has been bad, but our D and rbeouding have been good, our energy and team chemistry has been very good. And most importantly we are still in the hunt for a tourney bid. The type of complaing and things being said were pathetic. I have no problem with ppl criticizing or being negative if they have reasons for it, exactly how u just posted above, but its the constant negative stupid comments over n over again that are starting to make ppl sick. No one wants to be friends with the Debbie downer who constantly bashes his team.

Oh, I think I understand what you did there. You're suggesting that the weather in Syracuse may impact the recruiting and that 'whether it's' true or not, is an opinion. Just as the one's offering "no solutions" is your opinion as well. Got it! ;):)
Touche! I wrote this quickly while I am at work. Well played.

You mean alumni who are long time fans and believe JB has been and is a superior coach are a tiny minority?

And that frustrated critics that believe they know better --- but have never coached anything --- are the majority?

Unfortunately, yes.

On this board anyway.

JB is past his prime. He is 73. That question isn’t legitimate. He is way closer to the end than his prime.
I wanted him gone sooner if Hop was taking over.
As the roster was looking like garbage. Hop wasn’t allowed to bring a player by JB. This a fact I was told by someone on here you would respect.

JB was setting Hop up to fail how the recruiting was being handled.
Hop left so his leaving made JB staying an obvious solution.

"Do you mean I'm free to take you on on your opinion that JB is past his prime and should be replaced?"

You are saying that this isn't a legitimate question?

And how about this beauty from you.

"JB was setting Hop up to fail how the recruiting was being handled."

Would you complain if I characterized this opinion as "goofy" or "unhinged"?

"Do you mean I'm free to take you on on your opinion that JB is past his prime and should be replaced?"

You are saying that this isn't a legitimate question?

And how about this beauty from you.

"JB was setting Hop up to fail how the recruiting was being handled."

Would you complain if I characterized this opinion as "goofy" or "unhinged"?
If you can’t admit JB is past his prime I give up.
He is 73.
Find me another successful high major basketball coach at 73?
Him being past his prime isn’t the argument you even want have as its undoubtedly true just based on his age.

He can still be successful but you asked the question is he past his prime. Of course he is.

Last edited:
If you can’t admit JB is past his prime I give up.
He is 73.
Find me another successful high major basketball coach at 73?
Him being past his prime isn’t the argument you even want have as its undoubtedly true just based on his age.

He can still be successful but you asked the question is he past his prime. Of course he is.

That you say you know, but that you don't really know is a problem.

You are saying categorically that no one 73 years old can coach a basketball team effectively. (Two recent Final Fours?)

Experience and wisdom appear to have little value to you.

In your mind, "73" says it all. I mean why even argue, He's 73.

Sorry. That to me isn't an intelligent position and I take issue with it.

The success of SU basketball has rested on three legs; The Big East, ESPN coverage of college basketball and the wisdom and strategies of Jim Boeheim.

The Big East is now history for SU.

ESPN is no longer the only source for college basketball. The Washington Post lists 20 or 30 games I can watch on a Saturday and I have ESPN Watch for more.

JB is all that's left. When he goes, getting SU basketball back to its zenith will be an extremely difficult task.

You are saying categorically that no one 73 years old can coach a basketball team effectively. (Two recent Final Fours?)

The success of SU basketball has rested on three legs; The Big East, ESPN coverage of college basketball and the wisdom and strategies of Jim Boeheim.

ESPN is no longer the only source for college basketball. The Washington Post lists 20 or 30 games I can watch on a Saturday and I have ESPN Watch for more.

JB is all that's left. When he goes, getting SU basketball back to its zenith will be an extremely difficult task.
Prime
Noun
a state or time of greatest strength, vigor, or success in a person's life.
"you're in the prime of life"
synonyms: heyday, best days, best years, prime of one's life; youth, salad days; peak, pinnacle, zenith.

JB is not in his prime. Why you even brought the discussion towards this direction just ends the debate. He is closer to the end than his prime.

We went to the final four with Roy Danforth.

We were winning 75% of our games before JB started in the 76.

We made elite 8’s in the 50’s and 60’s.

The ACC is the elite basketball conference.

Georgetown doesn’t have enough fans to fill a morgue.

Can’t you troll somewhere else?

We went to the final four with Roy Danforth.

We were winning 75% of our games before JB started in the 76.

We made elite 8’s in the 50’s and 60’s.

The ACC is the elite basketball conference.

Georgetown doesn’t have enough fans to fill a morgue.

Can’t you troll somewhere else?

If you don't know SU was small time when JB took over, I can't help you. I was there. Were you?

I can remember people on Campus being thrilled we were on the ECAC Game of the Week vs. Penn State.

The success of Danforth's team was a huge shocker. If the Ragin Cajuns hadn't gone on probation it would never have happened.

Prime
Noun
synonyms: heyday, best days, best years, prime of one's life; youth, salad days; peak, pinnacle, zenith.

JB is not in his prime. Why you even brought the discussion towards this direction just ends the debate. He is closer to the end than his prime.

You really don't understand the difference between your opinion and a fact.

If you don't know SU was small time when JB took over, I can't help you. I was there. Were you?

I can remember people on Campus being thrilled we were on the ECAC Game of the Week vs. Penn State.

The success of Danforth's team was a huge shocker. If the Ragin Cajuns hadn't gone on probation it would never have happened.

I’d say college basketball on the whole was small time in the 70’s, but whatever. You’re right about everything. Mike Hopkins is winning in Washington and he would’ve won here too.

We have 11 scholarships.
There is no excuse for only having 3 guys who can score.

That isn’t on sanctions. Also all we have heard is JB doesn’t play a lot of people and never has a full roster of 13.
Sanctions isn’t why we have fallen as far as we have.

If only we can get the sneaker companies to help us recruit 5-star players some how...

I’d say college basketball on the whole was small time in the 70’s, but whatever. You’re right about everything. Mike Hopkins is winning in Washington and he would’ve won here too.
It wasn't small time in the basketball hotbeds, but SU's standing in the college basketball world at the time was as a good regional program on the rise. JB ran with it from there.

My God this thread is embarrassing. Hope no one outside the program reads it.
I would love to know how.
I don’t think the debate has been anything but repetitive.

Prime
Noun

Amazing! The author of the two sentences below has gone to the dictionary as a basis for his argument.

“You create strawmans whereby anyone criticizing JB is wrong.”

“I believe the correct mantra is let people get constructive criticism out and typically it allows it to be flushed out on the board. “

I think the word is “strawmen” not “strawmans”. But since I haven’t constructed a single strawman ever on here, the claim is incorrect. And “mantra” doesn’t fit in that sentence.

Just a word of advice. I’d keep that dictionary of yours more handy.

If only we can get the sneaker companies to help us recruit 5-star players some how...
We don’t need only 5 Star kids.
We went 3 straight recruiting classes without signing a PG.
That is crazy.

It wasn't small time in the basketball hotbeds, but SU's standing in the college basketball world at the time was as a good regional program on the rise. JB ran with it from there.
JB deserves credit for that.
He also can be criticized for being stagnant.
I know you aren’t going Townie here.

Amazing! The author of the two sentences below has gone to the dictionary as a basis for his argument.

“I believe the correct mantra is let people get constructive criticism out and typically it allows it to be flushed out on the board. “

I think the word is “strawmen” not “strawmans”. But since I haven’t constructed a single strawman ever on here, the claim is incorrect. And “mantra” doesn’t fit in that sentence.

Just a word of advice. I’d keep that dictionary of yours more handy.
Has JB done anything wrong as SU HC?

Oh, I think I understand what you did there. You're suggesting that the weather in Syracuse may impact the recruiting and that 'whether it's' true or not, is an opinion. Just as the one's offering "no solutions" is your opinion as well. Got it! ;):)

Ahh, the spelling and grammar police. Great you are here as we need plenty of help.

You were silent on these two from a frequent poster.

Get with it. If you are going to police the spelling and grammar, there's lots of work to do.

Has JB done anything wrong as SU HC?

I'm not interested in nitpicking JB.

There's a few people on here that devote countless hours to doing that. One wonders if they are short-changing their employers and their families.

I'm not interested in nitpicking JB.

There's a few people on here that devote countless hours to doing that. One wonders if they are short-changing their employers and their families.
I just want to hear one critique of JB from you.
Please.
I give praise to JB all the time.
He is great most of the time.
That doesn’t mean he is above being criticized.

I just want to hear one critique of JB from you.
Please.
I give praise to JB all the time.
He is great most of the time.
That doesn’t mean he is above being criticized.

I'm not going to play that game. I know where it is likely to lead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom