Nova/Wright | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Nova/Wright

Are we just talking about Wright or are we talking about Villanova's entire history? We mock UConn fans for starting basketball history in the '90's, let's not follow their lead. Historically, they don't have our consistency but have had really good eras. They were good in the early/mid '80's before having a lull, got it going again in the 90's before another slow period, and have been mostly good for the last 14 years. They have 2 NC's to our 1. Sounds pretty darn good to me.

Are we just talking about Wright or are we talking about Villanova's entire history? We mock UConn fans for starting basketball history in the '90's, let's not follow their lead. Historically, they don't have our consistency but have had really good eras. They were good in the early/mid '80's before having a lull, got it going again in the 90's before another slow period, and have been mostly good for the last 14 years. They have 2 NC's to our 1. Sounds pretty darn good to me.
I agree - they traditionally are a very solid program. I personally think they are overachieving currently and have greatly benefited from the BE break up, but they have a history that rivals ours.

i don't ever remember seeing Villanova on the schedule and thinking it was going to be an easy win. ever.
even when we had vastly superior talent rollie would slow down the game and make us play their tempo.

Last edited:
i don't ever remember seeing Villanova on the schedule and thinking it was going to be an easy win. ever.
I remember the opposite in fact... Wright had JB's number for a ton of years. They played the Louisville strategy against us before Pitino started ramping up... have the guards pressure us full court and having them dive down on our bigs whenever the ball went inside and play as physically as the refs would allow which back then was basically seemingly no blood no foul. They would totally disrupt our offense and then when they were on offense they would spread their 4 guards out, almost 4 corners style and either bomb open threes or drive on us to the hoop at will because the zone was spread so thin.

I feel like this strategy worked particularly well at containing GMAC because he didn't have the athleticism to get around their guards which really would stall out our offense.

I remember the opposite in fact... Wright had JB's number for a ton of years. They played the Louisville strategy against us before Pitino started ramping up... have the guards pressure us full court and having them dive down on our bigs whenever the ball went inside and play as physically as the refs would allow which back then was basically seemingly no blood no foul. They would totally disrupt our offense and then when they were on offense they would spread their 4 guards out, almost 4 corners style and either bomb open threes or drive on us to the hoop at will because the zone was spread so thin.

I feel like this strategy worked particularly well at containing GMAC because he didn't have the athleticism to get around their guards which really would stall out our offense.

His best teams coincided with our worst teams and Gerry scored 30 on Senior Day when we lost. We beat them handedly from 2010 to 2013 except when we left Archidiacano open at the end of regulation in Philly in the last game we played against them as members of the Big East. We also blew them out in 2014 after we left the conference.

GMac's teams were 2 -2 against Wright/Nova. He only had one stinker and mostly put up good numbers against (arguably) Nova's best guard class.

2/23/04
18/4
64-59 W
Nova with Foye, Ray, Sumpter

2/12/05
18/7
90-75 W
Nova with Lowry, Foye, Ray & Sumpter

1/26/06
4/7
80-65 L
Nova with Lowry, Foye, Ray & Cunningham

3/05/06
29/8
92-82 L
Nova with Lowry, Foye, Ray & Cunningham

kerry kittles was one of the best ever to lace up in the big east. one of the few points JB and myself probably agree on.

which is why the Einsteins who suggested we start measuring ourselves to Providence College, need to get a clue!

Since this was me, how about you go back and reread my post and see if you can discern the nuance in what I was trying to say.

If you still miss it, it's ok, 0307 missed it also as he also thought I was comparing us to Providence.

I actually wasn't...

If you still don't get my point, I'll reiterate it in different words...

BTW, just for the record, I am pretty bright but putting me in Einstein territory is a stretch...;)

Since this was me, how about you go back and reread my post and see if you can discern the nuance in what I was trying to say.

If you still miss it, it's ok, 0307 missed it also as he also thought I was comparing us to Providence.

I actually wasn't...

If you still don't get my point, I'll reiterate it in different words...

BTW, just for the record, I am pretty bright but putting me in Einstein territory is a stretch...;)
You’re right- it was taken out of context. I stand corrected...Albert! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom