Observations | Syracusefan.com

Observations

HoustonCuse

2020-21 Iggy Winner Lead Scorer & Post Season Rcd
Most important: Lydon has got to get rid of whatever that is on his face. Good god.

Others:
Mali is legit. Great first outing. Looks confident and has excellent skill. Couple turnovers late, but other than that he did spectacular.

Obokoh did a really nice job out there.

Coleman did not.

Cooney was fairly awful I thought.

Mike G got points but I didn't really like much about how he played.

Lydon looked amazing. Didn't score a bunch, but he was like a more athletic Kong type player. He made all kinds of contributions.

Joseph - really really nice piece to bring off the bench. He looked great in fairly limited action.

Overall the style of play. I know the plan is to take more 3's but this was too much in my opinion. Extremely one dimensional on offense tonight and that will not work in league games. I hope they figure out a little more inside action or it will be a tough time as we go forward.

Cooney played his worst game in Orange, and thats saying something.

Coleman looks like a major liability.

Mal and Lydon were fantastic.

Way way wayyyyy too many threes. I thought for sure Jimmy would reel them in at the half but 3 of the first 4 shots in the 2nd half were 3's

yep, hope he was under the weather or something because the team needs much more from him

It was the style of play that did it. Totally marginalized the guy. He should be a 10 and 8 guy and instead they made him invisible. The offense is a work in progress, I hope. Because it was very bad in its conception.

Overall the style of play. I know the plan is to take more 3's but this was too much in my opinion. Extremely one dimensional on offense tonight and that will not work in league games. I hope they figure out a little more inside action or it will be a tough time as we go forward.

We all knew this offense was coming. I didn't like the idea to begin with, but was optimistic going forward. Not sure what they can do inside since we really don't have any scorers in there. If we win with this approach that is fine. However, maybe it is just me, but it is boring to watch this style.

Way way wayyyyy too many threes. I thought for sure Jimmy would reel them in at the half but 3 of the first 4 shots in the 2nd half were 3's
hopefully he reigns it in as we get closer to ACC

Let's not discount that Lehigh might be pretty good. Having said that, we have a long way to go. Disappointing with 2 5th year sr's at guard. It's a process. The pieces are there to be pretty good but way, way too many 3 pt shot attempts. Very impressed with the two freshman.

We all knew this offense was coming. I didn't like the idea to begin with, but was optimistic going forward. Not sure what they can do inside since we really don't have any scorers in there. If we win with this approach that is fine. However, maybe it is just me, but it is boring to watch this style.
Boring? Hard to watch more like it.

I will say a large swath of our threes were wide open, but holy hell, just amuse us and try to score in the paint.

Let's not discount that Lehigh might be pretty good. Having said that, we have a long way to go. Disappointing with 2 5th year sr's at guard. It's a process. The pieces are there to be pretty good but way, way too many 3 pt shot attempts. Very impressed with the two freshman.
I do think Lehigh is a decent team, and I thought this would be a fairly close game - but yeah, our offense was disappointing for much of the game

I just don't think it is credible to take this many threes. And not so much take this many threes as to only look for threes. Many of the shots were settles. We had (and will have) a hell of time keeping a 20 point lead with that offense. When Lehigh got it close we hit some shots to keep the distance and frankly several of those we not good shots. They went in, but they were terrible shots. Shooting more deep balls is fine, but settling for bad threes is not. On many possessions in the second half, our entire team was as stagnant as a statue while one guy wriggled around out top trying to take a 3. I'm sure they are working on it - but they need to get it a lot more polished to win any games in the Bahamas.

Yeah the TRob mystery must be addressed. I also thought for about 1/3 of the 2nd half we looked like we could care less to be playing. Whole vibe was foreboding for me. Hope we make some definite adjustments cuz we looked like one of Notre Dame's poor teams tonight on both ends of the ball.

offense needs lots of work

This is what happens when you don't take the ball to the basket the first two exhibitions games and miss your outside shots with most your turnovers coming in the second half.

JB's first postgame player quote of the season was Roberson postgame, "He needs to play with more emotion".

This wasn't half as bad as our 25-0 team a couple years back against st francis(I think) first game. And that was after playing carlton as a warmup.

Last edited:
It's pretty clear that we need more plays going to the basket. I think G can get that done, and I think we could actually use more of Kaleb in that regard. And perhaps Frankie, too, though it already appears he's going to get very limited time out there

Cooney played his worst game in Orange, and thats saying something.

Coleman looks like a major liability.

Mal and Lydon were fantastic.

Yeah, I'm about ready to give up on Coleman. Seen enough of his act. And I gave up on Cooney two years ago.

Also, the University should stop dragging its feet and finally retire Richardson's and Lydon's jerseys.

I think Lehigh isn't terrible, but that was ugly. Coleman and Roberson being no shows is not a good sign.

Still, Lydon and Mal are legit. Can't wait to watch them get better

I don't mind us averaging 30 threes per game this year. Not one bit.

I don't think its as much plays going to the basket as guys that can finish strong at the rim and a lack of 6-12 foot floaters layups and jumpshots. Nobody wanted to do that preseason outside Kaleb and Cooney, but its tough for them to finish amoung the trees. Roberson and Gbinije seem to have downgraded finishing at the rim three straight games I don't get that part.

Maybe Howard has a chance to earn some serious minutes not only does he add our best passer when we only have three three point shooters on the floor but hes taller then Kaleb in the lane finishing and has a floater he wants to use.

Last edited:
25 points from our two fifth yr. senior guards. What was Cooney's average from behind the arc? He sure didn't look sharp for a fifth year senior.

I don't mind us averaging 30 threes per game this year. Not one bit.

I don't think its as much plays going to the basket as guys that can finish strong at the rim and a lack of 6-12 foot floaters layups and jumpshots. Nobody wanted to do that preseason outside Kaleb and Cooney, but its tough for them to finish amoung the trees.

Maybe Howard has a chance to earn some serious minutes maybe not only does he add our best passer when we only have three three point shooters on the floor but hes taller then Kaleb in the lane finishing.

If we shoot .40 then that'll be 12 made a game that'll be 36 points a game from outside the arc. If we need say 65 points in a game to win where are the other 29 points coming from?

Most important: Lydon has got to get rid of whatever that is on his face. Good god.

Others:
Mali is legit. Great first outing. Looks confident and has excellent skill. Couple turnovers late, but other than that he did spectacular.

Obokoh did a really nice job out there.

Coleman did not.

Cooney was fairly awful I thought.

Mike G got points but I didn't really like much about how he played.

Lydon looked amazing. Didn't score a bunch, but he was like a more athletic Kong type player. He made all kinds of contributions.

Joseph - really really nice piece to bring off the bench. He looked great in fairly limited action.

Overall the style of play. I know the plan is to take more 3's but this was too much in my opinion. Extremely one dimensional on offense tonight and that will not work in league games. I hope they figure out a little more inside action or it will be a tough time as we go forward.[/QUOTE.

Oh I'm glad you said that about Lydon's face. That is some unfortunate choice of moustache/goatee/whatever. Looks wise he reminds me of Pittsnoggle, not exactly a compliment but I liked him regardless. And Lydon's on court performance was solid for a debut.

It's pretty clear that we need more plays going to the basket. I think G can get that done, and I think we could actually use more of Kaleb in that regard. And perhaps Frankie, too, though it already appears he's going to get very limited time out there

I was a little surprised he wasn't in the game more. As he settles in he's going to become increasingly important offensively. We need another threat to get to the rim, and if he can continue hitting shots it should open up that game for him some more. I still don't think he's a PG, but he can be a nice playmaking two-guard. We need more penetration - I think they'll do a bit more with weaves in going forward though. When we needed a basket we saw that a couple times to get G a lane to the rim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom