Observations | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Observations

I don't mind us averaging 30 threes per game this year. Not one bit.

I don't think its as much plays going to the basket as guys that can finish strong at the rim and a lack of 6-12 foot floaters layups and jumpshots. Nobody wanted to do that preseason outside Kaleb and Cooney, but its tough for them to finish amoung the trees. Roberson and Gbinije seem to have downgraded finishing at the rim three straight games I don't get that part.

Maybe Howard has a chance to earn some serious minutes not only does he add our best passer when we only have three three point shooters on the floor but hes taller then Kaleb in the lane finishing and has a floater he wants to use.

I like Howard's game - honestly wouldn't mind sacrificing minutes early on to get him on the court more. I don't think we lose all that much - obviously, if someone has the hot hand, ride them. However, in a game like tonight where everyone seems a bit off, working him in makes sense to me. He seems to have a pretty developed skill-set, let him sink or swim before we hit the tougher part of our schedule. A normal coach would have some serious issues juggling minutes for these guys - JB probably just buries FH though. :)

I did not think Mal looked that good. he scored all of his points on wide open shots and didnt even shoot it well. And his shot is U-G-L-Y. He needs to develop some sort of game going to the basket. And so does the rest of this team.

This effort was awful. Not much else to say. Hope it changes fast, but all of our worst fears came true. We have zero inside game. Our 2 real centers basically used all of their fouls in 28 minutes, shot selection was bad, and we turned the ball over left and right.

25 points from our two fifth yr. senior guards. What was Cooney's average from behind the arc? He sure didn't look sharp for a fifth year senior.

they scored 29. Cooney was 3/9 from behind the arc.

One thing about three pointers 33.3 percent is equivalent to 50% from two even at larger numbers. If this team shoots 50% from inside the arc it will be rare, and they can heat up and hit 3-4 straight threes.

I think we are 0-9 on every three we have taken the last 3 games off a offensive board we haven't hit one of them.

This wasn't half as bad as our 25-0 team a couple years back against st francis(I think) first game. And that was after playing carlton as a warmup.

good point. and this lehigh team is better than that st francis team.

Hope this team can turn it around this year too. wayyyy too early to count them out. And id rather give JB planty of coaching material in wins than in losses.

wait, what? Malachi's shot is ugly??

wow

I hope Im wrong, but that thing looks awful to me. Flat and slow release. i don't see him shooting all that well at this level. and its like his whole right side is way out in front of his body.

I understand it's only first game with new faces... gotta work out the kinks, etc... but that said...

What do the coaches do with our bigs in practice? Are Coleman n Roberson no more developed from their freshman years to be able to present themselves, catch and make a legit post move? Pretty deflating. Roberson looked lost when he even caught the ball unguarded. Overall, there's not even an attempt to hit the post... I figured we'd have a 2nd half adjustment to mix it up... if nothing more than to simply keep Lehigh honest, draw in the perimeter D, and kick back out for more a better outside look. But no. Lehigh made halftime adjustments, and we just came out firing more 3's.

Thank god Malachi and Lydon are showing great potential, and Joseph looks more confident...

no offense, but I'm not sure what you were looking at

fair enough, we'll find out this season.

but no matter what, his game was nothing but jump shots today. that will not be a productive season. he needs to have some sort of interior game. anything.

no offense, but I'm not sure what you were looking at

Malachi has arguably the best stroke on the team. Balanced, compact, repeatable.

My issues w him tonight were some lazy passes and he loves to bounce it straight off the catch. There were a few instances where he'd be better served to just catch and shoot rather than one bounce and shoot.

7-19 from inside the arc. 36% we will get better but no reason for us to take any shot that wan't a three tonight.

I think Lehigh isn't terrible, but that was ugly. Coleman and Roberson being no shows is not a good sign.

Still, Lydon and Mal are legit. Can't wait to watch them get better

Look at the box score. I'm pretty sure Lehigh is hideous. They shot 29% from 2pt, 12% from 3pt and 68% from FT. I'm not saying we are doomed or anything. This is the first game of the year, but the product we saw tonight cannot win more than a couple ACC games. Luckily we won't be playing any ACC games for a while. We clearly have very good pieces to work with.

Look at the box score. I'm pretty sure Lehigh is hideous. They shot 29% from 2pt, 12% from 3pt and 68% from FT. I'm not saying we are doomed or anything. This is the first game of the year, but the product we saw tonight cannot win more than a couple ACC games. Luckily we won't be playing any ACC games for a while. We clearly have very good pieces to work with.

Lehigh is not hideous.

I'm bummed this thread is taking a negative tone (and I'm perpetuating it). I didn't intend on it being negative. I think we have some excellent parts to this team. My main point is we just need to clean up how the parts are used on offense. That's all. Clearly coach is on the case and I expect we will play very well in the Bahamas.

There's just going to be a lot of volatilty w/ the style that Boeheim has chosen to play, I think it's the right call though. We really don't have much inside, and we really lack truly special creators. We're going to look like world-beaters for 3-minute stretches and your local JV squad when 6 or 7 consecutive 3s don't fall.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/video?gameId=400839185
Second shot (17:44 at the bottom of the list) is a step back three.
Second to last shot (7:24 in the second half) shot clock winding down, was most certainly contested.
All of his points on wide open shots? Sometimes, I don't feel like I am watching the same game as some of you guys.
:eek:

7:24 was hardly contested for a d1 shot, even moving towards the defender he still had a foot.

and as i was watching on a computer, i did not see the 17.44 live.

I'm bummed this thread is taking a negative tone (and I'm perpetuating it). I didn't intend on it being negative. I think we have some excellent parts to this team. My main point is we just need to clean up how the parts are used on offense. That's all. Clearly coach is on the case and I expect we will play very well in the Bahamas.
I'm shocked, shocked to learn that there is negativity here tonight.

There's just going to be a lot of volatilty w/ the style that Boeheim has chosen to play, I think it's the right call though. We really don't have much inside, and we really lack truly special creators. We're going to look like world-beaters for 3-minute stretches and your local JV squad when 6 or 7 consecutive 3s don't fall.

def the right call to shoot a bunch of 3's... i just hated some of the selection. we passed up some open 3's which led to over dribbling which is what led to a ton of our TO's. and I hated not even trying to get the ball in low. and even when the bigs got off rebounds, they immediately kicked it out and as someone else noted we have missed tons of 3's in a row off of offensive rebounds.

I like Howard's game - honestly wouldn't mind sacrificing minutes early on to get him on the court more. I don't think we lose all that much - obviously, if someone has the hot hand, ride them. However, in a game like tonight where everyone seems a bit off, working him in makes sense to me. He seems to have a pretty developed skill-set, let him sink or swim before we hit the tougher part of our schedule. A normal coach would have some serious issues juggling minutes for these guys - JB probably just buries FH though. :)

This is tough because our acc schedule is tough we need to really pile it on preconference imo.

I hope you are right. I hope we play well in the bahamas.

but the team was awful for about 38 minutes tonight. we went on a 12-0(maybe 2) run to end the half over the last 2ish minutes. other than that, we really may lose this game.

that being said, tonight should have little affect on the rest of the season. I'm certainly not throwing the season away. but, with the lack of interior Def, we are going to need to average 80ish a game to have any shot. and starting with 57 is no bueno.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom