Observations | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Observations

i think you have to separate bad shooting from awful play.. we held lehigh to 2 baskets on half. does that not count at all . we shot poorly but they key is first to get wide open shots and that we did for most of the game.

we played poorly for half the 2nd half though with lazy passes and let the back in the game.. if we shoot anything the first half we are up 30.

we got zip from 2 starters and to play stretches with 4 FR on the floor and be Solid is a good sign. i worry most about on the ball pressure, but reams will need to have at least 3 guys who can do ball pressure to make it a huge issues.

We all knew this offense was coming. I didn't like the idea to begin with, but was optimistic going forward. Not sure what they can do inside since we really don't have any scorers in there. If we win with this approach that is fine. However, maybe it is just me, but it is boring to watch this style.

This was hard to watch frankly. Just dribble around the perimeter and chuck threes. If this continues and we don't get more creative on offense then it will be a long season. Not being able to get around some of the Lehigh defenders by our guards at times was also concerning. First game of the season so we'll see moving forward.

I just don't think it is credible to take this many threes. And not so much take this many threes as to only look for threes. Many of the shots were settles. We had (and will have) a hell of time keeping a 20 point lead with that offense. When Lehigh got it close we hit some shots to keep the distance and frankly several of those we not good shots. They went in, but they were terrible shots. Shooting more deep balls is fine, but settling for bad threes is not. On many possessions in the second half, our entire team was as stagnant as a statue while one guy wriggled around out top trying to take a 3. I'm sure they are working on it - but they need to get it a lot more polished to win any games in the Bahamas.

True. It seems like they were only looking for threes. Like it was instructed, sigh.

On top of not driving to the basket, this team brought absolutely no isolation ball whatsoever the last two games I wasn't sure if Gbinije was faking or not and whether Cooney was all of a sudden going to get inside at will and finish so I didn't bring it up.

I figured that is what would look most different about the team tonight but it wasn't. Its fun to pass the ball around and hit the open three but sometimes you just need a player to take over Malachi has done that better then Gbinije the last two games. Heard they were tied for player of the game.

I think a big part of that is Gbinije is getting open looks he doesn't have to create them off the dribble. Just missed them the last two days.

Roberson not playing with energy for maybe his first game ever added to us not pounding it inside I think.

Last edited:
There's just going to be a lot of volatilty w/ the style that Boeheim has chosen to play, I think it's the right call though. We really don't have much inside, and we really lack truly special creators. We're going to look like world-beaters for 3-minute stretches and your local JV squad when 6 or 7 consecutive 3s don't fall.
or as I alluded to earlier, Notre Dame...

Our opponent attempted as many shots as us and 10 more freethrows that makes a difference especially considering Rebounds, offensive boards and turnovers were about a wash.

A guard oriented offense only works if the guards are threats to drive and make plays... otherwise the scouting reports will read: deny, face guard and the cuse offense will be shut down.

Lehigh was begging for penetration and we rarely took advantage. Cooneys attempts to drive are still a train wreck. Way past time for someone else to start stealing his minutes.

good post, Houston.

I was incredilous why we didn't drive to the basket. JB has rightly stressed the three ball, but we have to feed the post. The other thing is when we actually did get the ball inside, we did too many kickouts for three's. That's okay occasionally on fast breaks but not in the half court.

We just cannot have donuts from Roberson. I'm convinced he will be an enigmatic player until he's gone. I'm shocked he hasn't come out of his shell and play with some giddy up by now. Maybe it's not in him. He will have good games but we need consistent production.

Lydon will be our best "center," but just think about next year when he will he's playing with a real center.

The loss of Diagne will be a killer.

I think Chino can be a sort of Craig Forth with the high screens. That could be aserviceable role with some rebounding mixed in.

Houston said everything else so well. I'm workin on no sleep for about 48 hours so this is all I could muster up.

Stay safe, guys. What a f'ed up world.

Last edited:
O
A guard oriented offense only works if the guards are threats to drive and make plays... otherwise the scouting reports will read: deny, face guard and the cuse offense will be shut down.

Lehigh was begging for penetration and we rarely took advantage. Cooneys attempts to drive are still a train wreck. Way past time for someone else to start stealing his minutes.

Cooney is the worst at finishing at the rim. He is what is he is. And we have guard options but JB refuses to use those options. The Cooney leash is way too long and has been for the past 3 years.

As far as the driving, we spaced the floor well for the most part but we didn't penetrate in those openings, as you said. :bang:

def the right call to shoot a bunch of 3's... i just hated some of the selection. we passed up some open 3's which led to over dribbling which is what led to a ton of our TO's. and I hated not even trying to get the ball in low. and even when the bigs got off rebounds, they immediately kicked it out and as someone else noted we have missed tons of 3's in a row off of offensive rebounds.

Looked like some of our guys were making too much of an effort to not seem selfish with shots. Guys (Lydon and Mal, most noticeably) would catch, wide open, and not pull the trigger. They'd pump, and move in or pass, giving up simple, open shots. JB definitely got on Lydon for that at least once.

Not a bad problem to have, ultimately - three guys who can shoot from the outside and also like to pass... They'll figure it out. Roles are still being defined, and confidences built.

Liked what I saw from Chino tonight. Just as soon as I was lamenting that we couldn't get a guy like Lehigh's whatshisface to play backup center, and chino goes out and makes me feel good for him.

O

Cooney is the worst at finishing at the rim. He is what is he is. And we have guard options but JB refuses to use those options. The Cooney leash is way too long and has been for the past 3 years.

As far as the driving, we spaced the floor well for the most part but we didn't penetrate in those openings, as you said. :bang:
Spot on. This has irked me for so long. All that bulk, and lousy finisher. Ugh!

Roberson not playing with energy for maybe his first game ever added to us not pounding it inside I think.

Huh? I question Roberson's energy in a ton of games. He's had a bunch of no shows with his energy level and activity.

Looked like some of our guys were making too much of an effort to not seem selfish with shots. Guys (Lydon and Mal, most noticeably) would catch, wide open, and not pull the trigger. They'd pump, and move in or pass, giving up simple, open shots. JB definitely got on Lydon for that at least once.

Not a bad problem to have, ultimately - three guys who can shoot from the outside and also like to pass... They'll figure it out. Roles are still being defined, and confidences built.

Liked what I saw from Chino tonight. Just as soon as I was lamenting that we couldn't get a guy like Lehigh's whatshisface to play backup center, and chino goes out and makes me feel good for him.

great post. I think if he Chino just stands straight up on D, rebounds, and sets those Criag Forth high ball screens for our shooters, that will be a huge help.

hopefully he reigns it in as we get closer to ACC

Might as well just become a mad bombing team and pretend we are doing it because of a new advanced appreciation for analytics.

yep, hope he was under the weather or something because the team needs much more from him

All we did was pass the ball around the perimeter and launch 3's. Hard to do much when you're a forward who does his damage from 12 and in(hopefully more like 15 and in this year). I thought he looked really quick early, but he hardly seemed to touch the ball. Maybe he lost interest. Can't blame him. Our offense tonight was like the very last pickup run of the night that let's you know it's time to go home.

With our two big centers in foul trouble, and the score in our favor, JB probably decided not to feed it inside. I am not worried about DC being able to score but I am worried about him being able to keep out of foul trouble.

Good observation - we've some some deferential players. This is one thing that will really improve with game experience, I think.

All we did was pass the ball around the perimeter and launch 3's. Hard to do much when you're a forward who does his damage from 12 and in(hopefully more like 15 and in this year). I thought he looked really quick early, but he hardly seemed to touch the ball. Maybe he lost interest. Can't blame him. Our offense tonight was like the very last pickup run of the night that let's you know it's time to go home.
Thank god we played very good D and we beat a team that made tourney last year by 10 pts. Not sure a pickup team at end of the night could do/say the same...??

Dajaun got beat recovering baseline for his first two fouls that is a huge concern especially against 7 footers. That is a easy way to get a center in foul trouble or pulled early. The second foul was strange he was so far out it looked like he was playing man to man and the driver got around him.

Lydon was such a beast though 11 boards and 3 blocks I think it was. He and Obokoh showed the ability to play tough as Lehighs bigs came at them with a strong move.. Can't argue. He also has some shot blocking ability when they try to slow it down some with his wingspan even against 6'10 center. His best game of the season better then the exhibitions.

Last edited:
Good observation - we've some some deferential players. This is one thing that will really improve with game experience, I think.
The question from hereon out will be, to paraphrase President Bush, is our players learning?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom