Observations | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Observations

I don't understand all of the complaining about how many 3s we take. I could care less what shots this team takes as long as they are open. There's one undefeated team in the nba right now, and it likes to shoot a 3 from time to time. What is problematic is that so far we aren't doing a good job of generating those open 3s, whether by penetration, posting up, or running a flowing offense. I just don't understand why we often have our ball handler dribble aimlessly at the top of the arc while we run baseline action. We need to move the ball QUICKLY! An above poster disliked how Mal started to dribble as soon as he received the ball--that's actually exactly what we need, quick decisions. We don't need players standing for 3 seconds in the triple threat position as they look for a weakness in the defense (cooney, roberson). Watch the Warriors or Spurs and see how often someone holds the ball in triple threat position.

Malachi has arguably the best stroke on the team. Balanced, compact, repeatable.

My issues w him tonight were some lazy passes and he loves to bounce it straight off the catch. There were a few instances where he'd be better served to just catch and shoot rather than one bounce and shoot.

I think that's one area where all three Frosh look extremely competent - they are all very well balanced on their jump shots for the most part. Especially at this stage of their development.

Thank god we played very good D and we beat a team that made tourney last year by 10 pts. Not sure a pickup team at end of the night could do/say the same...??

The D was good. I was talking about offense, and giving reasons why I feel Roberson was so invisible last night.

I hope Im wrong, but that thing looks awful to me. Flat and slow release. i don't see him shooting all that well at this level. and its like his whole right side is way out in front of his body.

You are on drugs. Mali has a sweet J.

It never ceases to amaze me how different people can watch the same thing, and think 2 completely different things happened.

You are on drugs. Mali has a sweet J.

It never ceases to amaze me how different people can watch the same thing, and think 2 completely different things happened.

I guess, but his whole right side is a foot in front of center, his release is low and slow. I don't know how anyone could see different than that. Weird shots have worked for other people, but that certainly doesn't look "sweet" like i was expecting. I just don't think he can get that shot off with regularity all season and i don't even understand how that can be consistent against any defense. it looks like an old jewish man at the JCC to me.

I sincerely hope Im wrong and saw it weird on my laptop. But I've watched all the replays. You just don't see a college player shoot that off center. His right foot is so far in front of the shot.

that being said, the biggest concern i had with Mali was his lack of driving skills. It was long J/3 or bust for him against a much less athletic and sized team.

I guess, but his whole right side is a foot in front of center, his release is low and slow. I don't know how anyone could see different than that. Weird shots have worked for other people, but that certainly doesn't look "sweet" like i was expecting. I just don't think he can get that shot off with regularity all season and i don't even understand how that can be consistent against any defense. it looks like an old jewish man at the JCC to me.

Then you must be playing with some pretty damn good old Jewish men! If you look at the video below MR's first jump shot looked very good. The second one his right foot may have been a little forward. But there were two made jump shots by Cooney and G that looked really off balance. I think MR looks great. I think he's going to use his step back move all season long with success.

I think you may be wrong on this one. MR looks really good in my opinion. He played like a Junior or Senior in my opinion. Half the battle is attitude and mindset. He will improve his mechanics over time. His mental toughness is his best quality at this point in his career!

Then you must be playing with some pretty damn good old Jewish men! If you look at the video below MR's first jump shot looked very good. The second one his right foot may have been a little forward. But there were two made jump shots by Cooney and G that looked really off balance. I think MR looks great. I think he's going to use his step back move all season long with success.

I think you may be wrong on this one. MR looks really good in my opinion. He played like a Junior or Senior in my opinion. Half the battle is attitude and mindset. He will improve his mechanics over time. His mental toughness is his best quality at this point in his career!

Ive been the biggest Cooney supporter over the last 2 years. But don't get me started on his jumpers yesterday. It won't be pretty.

And trust me when I say, Im rooting for Mali. I hope that shot falls at a 40% clip behind the arc and he averages 16+ a game. I will gladly be the 1st to point this thread out in March if that is the case.

and btw... Mali's pass to Tyler for the dunk was easily the best pass of the night.

that being said, the biggest concern i had with Mali was his lack of driving skills. It was long J/3 or bust for him against a much less athletic and sized team.

I think Lehigh was playing pretty good defense inside the paint which was forcing more outside shots. It wasn't MTM but it was not a zone defense I could recognize. I think their big men were just hanging in the paint leaving the weak side guy open. This led to a lot of weak side open looks.

But I agree with you generally. If MR learns how to drive to the basket he would be more successful long term. But his step back jump shot seemed very effective to me. He was able to create some space on his own which allowed him to create an uncontested shot. The question is will his moves work with higher caliber talent. But man if they do MR is really going to be special!

Ive been the biggest Cooney supporter over the last 2 years. But don't get me started on his jumpers yesterday. It won't be pretty.

And trust me when I say, Im rooting for Mali. I hope that shot falls at a 40% clip behind the arc and he averages 16+ a game. I will gladly be the 1st to point this thread out in March if that is the case.

I know you are good rooter. Orange!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom