Obviously, he didn't retire. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Obviously, he didn't retire.

There was never going to be a clean break. Anyone who has spent five minutes following JB could come to that conclusion.

But I was surprised that they didn't even wait to get back to Syracuse to make everything public. I did not think that was going to be on the table. Obviously Jim forced JW's hand with his comments about his future being in the university's hands and his exchange with Donna, so I get the element of not needing to delay the inevitable, but it would've been easy for Wildhack to just not make himself available and put something out tonight or Thursday morning and maybe polish it up to make it look like they came to an agreement. I'm not saying he was wrong to not do that, but the specific way that it happened was a little surprising.

There was never going to be a clean break. Anyone who has spent five minutes following JB could come to that conclusion.

But I was surprised that they didn't even wait to get back to Syracuse to make everything public. I did not think that was going to be on the table. Obviously Jim forced JW's hand with his comments about his future being in the university's hands and his exchange with Donna, so there's an element of not needing to delay the inevitable, but it would've been easy for Wildhack to just not make himself available and put something out tonight or Thursday morning and maybe polish it up to make it look like they came to an agreement. I'm not saying he was wrong to not do that, but the specific way that it happened was a little surprising.
Getting the sense the University had no more Fs to give.

But I was surprised that they didn't even wait to get back to Syracuse to make everything public. I did not think that was going to be on the table. Obviously Jim forced JW's hand with his comments about his future being in the university's hands and his exchange with Donna, so I get the element of not needing to delay the inevitable, but it would've been easy for Wildhack to just not make himself available and put something out tonight or Thursday morning and maybe polish it up to make it look like they came to an agreement. I'm not saying he was wrong to not do that, but the specific way that it happened was a little surprising.

What do you do with a guy who says "nah, I am not gonna retire or endorse my assistant... You'll have to fire me."

The statement released today doesn't happen unless the above is true.

His press conference was clowncar schadenfreude where he thought he was successfully throwing the school under the bus, but instead, he just came off as a tragically sad, fallen titan of the game.

Last edited:
What do you do with a guy who says "nah, I am not gonna retire or endorse my assistant... You'll have to fire me."

The statement released today doesn't happen unless the above is true.

His press conference was a clowncar.
Yep. The worm seemed to turn very quickly. For the last several years, the power brokers were willing to put up with a LOT of mediocrity, until they suddenly weren't. I'd love to see Donna/Mike or Thamel dig into the conversations between the boosters/regents/Wildhack over the last few weeks. If the team had the three weeks they just had but without the stupid comments about NIL and who's in charge, might Boeheim still have a job? Was that really it?

Last edited:
I’m not trying to be rude or disrespectful to Jake, but is that supposed to convince me it’s true?
Tom, there are posters who have developed reputations as having credible insider information. If you've wasted enough time on this board as I have, you learn who they are. Believe what you want, but there are some credible posters with insider sources.

Go watch “Gone With the Wind” or something.
gone with the wind love GIF

Tom, there are posters who have developed reputations as having credible insider information. If you've wasted enough time on this board as I have, you learn who they are. Believe what you want, but there are some credible posters with insider sources.
Jake has a pretty solid history of ITK information on this board, if that means anything to you.
Agreed. Not disputing there are people who have some info and some good contacts and are generally reliable. Not calling any of them out.

But there is no one who is in THE room (AD, chancellor, JB, Julie) who is giving these folks the kind of info I’ve seen shared here today. Some of it only Jim himself would know (motivations, inner thoughts etc)

People who really KNOW the sort of stuff some are discussing on here today don’t share on fan message boards or share with people who post on fan message boards.

And when I see people posting stuff on here that blatantly attacks the character and motivations of JB, and then reports it as fact, it genuinely upsets me.

JB is a powerful ally, seems that bridge may have been burned. the real question is: if AA flops next year does JW survive?
That’s Hyperbole. No bridge has been burned. JB understands that winning is everything, and he didn’t do enough of it in recent years. He’ll get a cushy fundraising gig in the athletic department (like Gary Williams at Maryland) once the dust settles.

When all is said and done, and calmer heads prevail, there are no burned bridges here. Do you really think the man who spent basically his entire adult life dedicated to SU basketball and Syracuse will not be an ally of the program? Sometimes life gets a little hard to handle, but all will come around in the end. ...
Exactly. I can’t believe some of these posters.

Agreed. Not disputing there are people who have some info and some good contacts and are generally reliable. Not calling any of them out.

But there is no one who is in THE room (AD, chancellor, JB, Julie) who is giving these folks the kind of info I’ve seen shared here today. Some of it only Jim himself would know (motivations, inner thoughts etc)

People who really KNOW the sort of stuff some are discussing on here today don’t share on fan message boards or share with people who post on fan message boards.

And when I see people posting stuff on here that blatantly attacks the character and motivations of JB, and then reports it as fact, it genuinely upsets me.

It's ok. It's a message board where people post opinions. Most posts are just that.

If you don't like how people present their opinions, it's ok. Message boards aren't for everyone.

As for ”not calling anyone out..." You just did that to Jake.

It's ok. It's a message board where people post opinions. Most posts are just that.

If you don't like how people present their opinions, it's ok. Message boards aren't for everyone.

As for ”not calling anyone out..." You just did that to Jake.
No I didn’t. I never saw Jake post any of the things I’m referring to.

As disrespectful as JB running Hopkins out of town because he didn’t want to honor the succession plan?
Explain how you personally know this to be true. Did Hop tell you this personally? Did you have a conversation with Jim where he admitted it? How about the AD or chancellor?
I mean, he didn’t run Hop out of town exactly. But he put Hop in an extremely tough position when he started agitating behind the scenes that he didn’t want to retire and complaining he had been forced into it by the chancellor to set a retirement date. Hop knew JB didn’t want to go, and he didn’t want to be the one to push out his mentor, the guy that gave him his career in Coaching. He was stuck between a rock and a hard place. JB should’ve respected Hop and followed the succession plan. (But he clearly saw that Buddy was developing into a legit D1 prospect and he wanted the chance to coach his kid.)

Last edited:
I mean, he didn’t run Hop out of town exactly. But he put Hop in an extremely tough position when he started agitating behind the scenes that he didn’t want to retire and complaining he had been forced into it by the chancellor to set a retirement date. Hop knew JB didn’t want to go, and he didn’t want to be the one who pushed out his mentor, the guy that gave him his career in Coaching. He was between a rock and a hard place.
This is a much more reasonable take than those who are insisting Boeheim selfishly and intentionally ran Hop out in bad faith just to stroke his ego or something.

This is a much more reasonable take than those who are insisting Boeheim selfishly and intentionally ran Hop out in bad faith just to stroke his ego or something.
Agreed. Saying he ran Hop out of town is delusional. It was time for Hop to take the next step, and Jim saw that. Hop being the assistant coach for all of these seasons would have made little to no sense

No I didn’t. I never saw Jake post any of the things I’m referring to.

Ok, not sure we can agree on that basic fact, agree to disagree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom