OC/QB coach Sterlin Gilbert out. | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

OC/QB coach Sterlin Gilbert out.

Try lame duck coach. And even that presidential definition says in their final period. Dinos final period is the last year of his contract.
Try lame duck coach. And even that presidential definition says in their final period. Dinos final period is the last year of his contract.
Try "an ineffectual or unsuccessful" coach. That work for you?

It's gonna be like the OC Gerg brought in, Mitch Browning. Mitch lived in a hotel the whole year because he knew Gerg was going to get fired and didn't bother finding a place with a long-term commitment. I actually liked Mitch, Curtis Brinkley went for more than a 1,000 with Mitch as OC that year.

Browning is now an assistant coach at Baker College.

Today I learned that there is a college called Baker College and that it has a football team.

2024…but that is really meaningless when you have 5 out of 6 losing seasons

Your record doesn’t determine the definition of a lame duck coach.

You have to be trolling on these posts….

He’s not getting an extension. Even if he wins 8 games next season he shouldn’t get an extension

The only reason you give him an extension now is to alter his buyout to be more SU friendly (I would advise this) and to decrease the negative recruiting which is already taking place that Dino is going to be fired next season if he doesn’t make a bowl game…and with next seasons schedule going to be tough………….
I think the smart move is to extend him 2 years with a modest COlA with no buyout the final 2 years, subject to annual review with options to increase his base salary should the team succeed.

Recruiting without an extension is impossible.

Try "an ineffectual or unsuccessful" coach. That work for you?

“A term used to describe a head coach who is in the last year of their contract, or nearing the end of a season that will likely result in them not being re-signed. Lame duck coaches generally know their tenure is coming to an end and their firing rarely comes as a surprise.”

With all due respect is keeping your HC (who will now be a lame duck coach) who has made 1 bowl game in 6 seasons and firing all you assistants really trying your best to put a winning product on the field? What quality assistants are you going to bring in with a lame duck coach? How are we going to improve? This just delays the inevitable and pushes the rebuild to next year after another losing season. This IMO is the opposite of trying their best and is the easy and CHEAPEST way out.
I have no issue with your opinion. After all, it's a fan board. Just don't need to make ad hominem attacks. Makes you look worse than those about whom you are posting.

I think the smart move is to extend him 2 years with a modest COlA with no buyout the final 2 years, subject to annual review with options to increase his base salary should the team succeed.

Unlikely Babers would accept, his contract and some portion of the buyout exists until 2024, he will get more playing out next year before he's fired and paid put the remainder of his contract and whatever the buyout is at that point

This is the best choice since we appearently arent firing him. Its just disgusting and depressing to be at this point.

“A term used to describe a head coach who is in the last year of their contract, or nearing the end of a season that will likely result in them not being re-signed. Lame duck coaches generally know their tenure is coming to an end and their firing rarely comes as a surprise.”

Sums up next year perfectly, what's the problem??

Absolutely, but it’s up to the university to do that…and I’m not so sure the university will do that..

I agree with this, also makes it hard to attract quality assistants or retain the ones you have. Getting rid of the assistants tells me he probably has at least 2 more years unless the season really goes to hell next year.

Unlikely Babers would accept, his contract and some portion of the buyout exists until 2024, he will get more playing out next year before he's fired and paid put the remainder of his contract and whatever the buyout is at that point
I’m talking extend 2 years beyond the current contract, not beyond next year.

It’s not his final contract year.

It's his final year - "Or nearing the end of a season that will likely result in them not being resigned"

Not that I agree with the decision to keep him, but now that we decided to we have to do this or we just dug ourselves a deeper hole to climb out of. Hope to catch lightning in a bottle and Dino ends his career here. I just don't see how anybody can survived a double reset , lwhile losing as many players due to transfer as us, and have only 1 winning season in the last 6. This wouldn't happen at any other P5 school minus maybe Duke

Your record doesn’t determine the definition of a lame duck coach.

It does because it means you know a firing is coming

Dino knows that he’s going to be dismissed. The whole world knows he’s likely going to be fired after next season.

If you don’t think the rest of the world sees Dino as a lame duck coach….take the orange colored glasses off for about two minutes.

It’s not pretty. It’s absolutely astonishing he wasn’t fired this season. If he is at almost any other p-5 school he is absolutely let go after this season

Reminder Dino is 15-35 in ACC games at Syracuse…… it would take at least 2 seasons of undefeated ACC play to get him to .500

Browning is now an assistant coach at Baker College.

Today I learned that there is a college called Baker College and that it has a football team.
I actually knew about Baker - they have a campus in the Overland Park, where I live. I did not know Mitch was coaching there. It's where Mike McCarthy started.

It runs through 2024 already and Babers would be giving up millions in that scenario, it's a non starter

I think you would have to renegotiate the contract

If JW is smart he went in and said… Dino we’re going to fire you unless you restructure your contract but with that we will extend you a year…..or something like that

Because you’re absolutely right no way Dino is going to give up money for himself

It does because it means you know a firing is coming

Dino knows that he’s going to be dismissed. The whole world knows he’s likely going to be fired after next season.

If you don’t think the rest of the world sees Dino as a lame duck coach….take the orange colored glasses off for about two minutes.

It’s not pretty. It’s absolutely astonishing he wasn’t fired this season. If he is at almost any other p-5 school he is absolutely let go after this season

Reminder Dino is 15-35 in ACC games at Syracuse…… it would take at least 2 seasons of undefeated ACC play to get him to .500

There's a better chance of it being 85 degrees tomorrow in Syracuse then Bees admitting Babers is a lame duck coach next year. He'll fight it till the firing.

It runs through 2024 already and Babers would be giving up millions in that scenario, it's a non starter
How? It’s simple. All current language is kept. Extend two years at a modest increase with 0 buyout. If he succeeds the next two years you reset the buyout for the final 2 years at that point. He can tell recruits he is under contract for the next 4 years. Nobody risks anything or loses anything they currently have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom