Offense Sells Tickets, Defense Wins Championships | Syracusefan.com

Offense Sells Tickets, Defense Wins Championships

Shenexon

All American
So, I've been watching games from the 90s during Pasqualoni's glory years. Coach Fran has referred to a return to what made us great, hitting, and also to winning championships. One thing that defined our great teams was a swarming defense. We had great players that played with determination. Pasqualoni's offense also had a lot of pieces. In the first drive against Michigan in 1998, we used four RB's. The option used a lot of RB's, including Rob Konrad. We also had good TE's and used three of them on some plays. McNabb had targets. But the defense was key to our success in big games. I was reminded of Bear Bryant's quote about offense and defense. From what you know about Brown and our new defensive coordinator, what do YOU forsee in our defensive strategy, recruiting focus, and intensity? Offense may be the best defense, but think we're likely to be seeing tough defense if the coaches can attract the right players. If Coach Fran really wants to contend for ACC or nat'l championships, it wouldn't hurt to find clones of Dwight Freeney, Keith Bullock, Dan Conley, and many others that were the reasons we won big games.

PS: I was amused by the little segment in the Michigan broadcast about the missing Michigan banner that the players traditionally run under as they come on the field. Apparently it disappeared the night before the game, bringing bad karma to Michigan. LEGEND!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom