Offensive Production in the BET... | Syracusefan.com

Offensive Production in the BET...

BostonOrange

2nd String
Some fairly interesting (at least to me) #'s.

Overall PPG (in reg): 62
1st half PPG: 34.5
2nd half PPG: 27.75 (which includes 41 against SHU)
2 pt FGS: 51-122, 41%, 25.25 PPG
3 pt FGS: 37-74, 50%, 27.75 PPG
FT's: 43-74, 58%, 10.75 PPG

A few things stick out...
- Can we really count on that type of 3 point shooting going forward? Even including the BET we are at 33.4% for the season, and just a week ago several posters were basically saying we should never shoot another 3 pt shot
- Even with that scorching shooting from outside we only averaged 62 pts a game. Granted, Gtown and Lville are elite defensive teams which skews that down. But I don't think getting 36 ppg from 2's and FT's going forward is going to get it down. We'd have to hit 10 3's a game to get to the mid-60's.
- Clearly we aren't getting many easy buckets, either in transition or in the half court. 41% on 2's is really bad. Need to do better somehow.

The #'s say that if we aren't raining 3's we just don't score. And, our track record indicates that we are not an especially good 3 point shooting team. I guess we are pinning our hopes on the possibility that being freed of BE defenses and officiating will be the answer...beyond that I guess we just keep chucking...or try to win a bunch 52-48 rock fights.

One thing to keep in mind is that the zone typically is 10x more effective in the first couple of rounds of the NCAA's because we are facing teams that don't know how to execute against it. In theory this should lead to run outs which will lead to fast break points to make up for our poor three point shooting. I think the zone should get us to DC but once there we are going to face teams that are as athletic as us and who probably can execute better than us on offense so it's up to us to hit some shots or we go home.

BTW the one team in our bracket I don't want to see is Marquette because it takes away the our huge advantage of unfamiliarity with the zone... I am a huge Illini and Miami fan until Marquette gets knocked out.

Some fairly interesting (at least to me) #'s.

Overall PPG (in reg): 62
1st half PPG: 34.5
2nd half PPG: 27.75 (which includes 41 against SHU)
2 pt FGS: 51-122, 41%, 25.25 PPG
3 pt FGS: 37-74, 50%, 27.75 PPG
FT's: 43-74, 58%, 10.75 PPG

A few things stick out...
- Can we really count on that type of 3 point shooting going forward? Even including the BET we are at 33.4% for the season, and just a week ago several posters were basically saying we should never shoot another 3 pt shot
- Even with that scorching shooting from outside we only averaged 62 pts a game. Granted, Gtown and Lville are elite defensive teams which skews that down. But I don't think getting 36 ppg from 2's and FT's going forward is going to get it down. We'd have to hit 10 3's a game to get to the mid-60's.
- Clearly we aren't getting many easy buckets, either in transition or in the half court. 41% on 2's is really bad. Need to do better somehow.

The #'s say that if we aren't raining 3's we just don't score. And, our track record indicates that we are not an especially good 3 point shooting team. I guess we are pinning our hopes on the possibility that being freed of BE defenses and officiating will be the answer...beyond that I guess we just keep chucking...or try to win a bunch 52-48 rock fights.

The key offensively is that we have to get to the line more. I think that Brandon and CJ are going to find it easier to get to the rim against the first couple opponents we face.

One thing to keep in mind is that the zone typically is 10x more effective in the first couple of rounds of the NCAA's because we are facing teams that don't know how to execute against it. In theory this should lead to run outs which will lead to fast break points to make up for our poor three point shooting. I think the zone should get us to DC but once there we are going to face teams that are as athletic as us and who probably can execute better than us on offense so it's up to us to hit some shots or we go home.

BTW the one team in our bracket I don't want to see is Marquette because it takes away the our huge advantage of unfamiliarity with the zone... I am a huge Illini and Miami fan until Marquette gets knocked out.[/quote

we were up 7 on marquette with about 8 minutes left then fell apart. id love to face them again in elite 8. remember miami basically had a 1 seed resume so beating a true 1 seed in indiana then a team that won the acc regular season and tournament would be tough.

The key offensively is that we have to get to the line more. I think that Brandon and CJ are going to find it easier to get to the rim against the first couple opponents we face.
another key to getting to the line more is to be done with the big east refereeing forever.

the great thing about our draw is none of these teams play defense like pitt or gtown or lville. we're the best defensive team on our side of the bracket, even indiana plays a more up and down style of game so we shouldnt get bogged down in any meatgrinders. i dont think we'd win a shootout against indiana but we're better defensively than them. as long as triche and dirty dont start bricking every shot our offense should be good no matter what team we face in the east.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom