Official 2014 National LOI Day Thread | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Official 2014 National LOI Day Thread

Where would you place Averin Collier? David Legree? Richard Abney...Andray Baskin...Matt Reid...JOnathan Meldrum...Jamere Knox...The big WR from Utica whose name escapes me...

Most of those guys made it here and several played. A couple weren't big recruits. You moving the bar?

Most of those guys made it here and several played. A couple weren't big recruits. You moving the bar?

Not at all. But unless I'm mis-remembering, those guys were among the highest rates of their classes. Certainly Collier andBaskin and the WR from Utica and Knox never played. Can't remember Reid or Abney or Meldrum ever playing. Legree transferred, right? If they did, well...

I'd have to go through Robinson's classes year by year to be sure. And I'm not saying the guy couldn't recruit, obviously he could. He got some good players in here. But his class rankings were deceiving if you were measuring the class against a pool of kids who ended up actually contributing. Many of the top end kids either didn't make it here, or didn't pan out as expected. You already pointed out Pierce and Baskin.

Better to get a 50th ranked class of kids who play their careers here, thank a 36th ranked class who only pan out to a 75th ranked class.

Not at all. But unless I'm mis-remembering, those guys were among the highest rates of their classes. Certainly Collier andBaskin and the WR from Utica and Knox never played. Can't remember Reid or Abney or Meldrum ever playing. Legree transferred, right? If they did, well...

I'd have to go through Robinson's classes year by year to be sure. And I'm not saying the guy couldn't recruit, obviously he could. He got some good players in here. But his class rankings were deceiving if you were measuring the class against a pool of kids who ended up actually contributing. Many of the top end kids either didn't make it here, or didn't pan out as expected. You already pointed out Pierce and Baskin.

Better to get a 50th ranked class of kids who play their careers here, thank a 36th ranked class who only pan out to a 75th ranked class.

You originally said they didn't play here. Half the kids you listed were even out top recruits. Most plays here. Yes a couple transferred but that happens all the time. But you said the never played. The only top ones that didn't make it were Baskin and Pierce. You can look at the classes.

You originally said they didn't play here. Half the kids you listed were even out top recruits. Most plays here. Yes a couple transferred but that happens all the time. But you said the never played. The only top ones that didn't make it were Baskin and Pierce. You can look at the classes.

Collier? DeAndre Preaster?

Collier played here. I remember a long 80 yard TD run. Preaster I forgot about since he wasn't a big recruit.

2005 - GRob had a class of 20. (Skowt)
1 @ 4* - Lavar Lobdel
5@ 3* - Ken Tinney, Curtis Brinkley, Arthur Jones, Adam Hearns (QB), & Lamar McPherson

No one else was above a two star according to that service.
Lobdell was the top. He matriculated. He played. Not much more to say. Brinkley and Jones were stars.
Tinney? (Not sure what happened there.) Hearns? (Academic casualty?) Lamar McPherson (Transfer to Temple? Didn't play here for all intents and purposes.)

That's 50% of those 3 and 4 star players who didn't play.

Collier played here. I remember a long 80 yard TD run. Preaster I forgot about since he wasn't a big recruit.

I'm not counting someone who showed up in uniform for a couple of games as "playing." Collier panned out. He just couldn't stick.

2006 (Skowt) - The aforementioned Baskin was the only 4* player in the class. Never made it to campus.

Btw, while Preaster never came here, guys in that class who did were four 4 stars. Collier, Sales. Marinovich and Tucker. Other kids in that class you might remember were Nassib, Graham, Ant Bailey, Chandler Jones, Nick Speller (freshman AA), and 15 others who also made it here and many of them played, although a couple did end up transferring like Trey Fairchild or were asked to leave.

2007 - The top three players were Baskin Part Two, Jermaine Pierce and Doug Hogue.

As discussed, Baskin and Pierce never played. Hogue was a home run.

2006 (Skowt) - The aforementioned Baskin was the only 4* player in the class. Never made it to campus.

You need to look at both sites and also at the kids in them. Not getting a couple kids a year to qualify is no big shocker.

2008 - Collier, Marcus Sales, and Romale Tucker were the three highest rated players. Collier washed out.
Sales and Tucker were solid.

But I think the point is made. The guys at the top of GRob's classes "frequently" didn't pan out -- whether by not making it to school, or washing out academically, or having other problems. I think that is why people have that perception that GRob's more highly regarded classes have ratings that are deceiving...which was the original point.

2007 - The top three players were Baskin Part Two, Jermaine Pierce and Doug Hogue.

As discussed, Baskin and Pierce never played. Hogue was a home run.

Do you want me to list all the players from each class ? You're also using the wrong one. That one is better for bball, the other for fball.

You need to look at both sites and also at the kids in them. Not getting a couple kids a year to qualify is no big shocker.

Well, my staff here is a little overworked. We only researched with Skowt. Perhaps we can expand our research project another night.

Btw, while Preaster never came here, guys in that class who did were four 4 stars. Collier, Sales. Marinovich and Tucker. Other kids in that class you might remember were Nassib, Graham, Ant Bailey, Chandler Jones, Nick Speller (freshman AA), and 15 others who also made it here and many of them played, although a couple did end up transferring like Trey Fairchild or were asked to leave.

But Preaster is one of the reasons his class was rated high.

Hey, I'm one of the guys here who have defended GRob's recruiting. I think he did yeoman's work without much to sell. He brought in a lot of solid guys who were underrecruited, or overachieved. But I still maintain he took some chances on some top kids who boosted his recruiting rankings, but didn't pan out.

2008 - Collier, Marcus Sales, and Romale Tucker were the three highest rated players. Collier washed out.
Sales and Tucker were solid.

But I think the point is made. The guys at the top of GRob's classes "frequently" didn't pan out -- whether by not making it to school, or washing out academically, or having other problems. I think that is why people have that perception that GRob's more highly regarded classes have ratings that are deceiving...which was the original point.

Don't agree at all. Look at the top 10 in each class for any coach. Some don't qualify and some don't pan out.

Besides, that wasn't your original comment. Grobs recruits were no worse than any others in kids not qualifying or not panning out. He'll P used to do it intentionally hoping kids would remember SU after they went to JC.

But Preaster is one of the reasons his class was rated high.

One 3star doesn't drive it THAT much. Besides, how many schools do you think have every 3, 4 and 5 star player qualify? Relativity.

2005 - GRob had a class of 20. (Skowt)
1 @ 4* - Lavar Lobdel
5@ 3* - Ken Tinney, Curtis Brinkley, Arthur Jones, Adam Hearns (QB), & Lamar McPherson

No one else was above a two star according to that service.
Lobdell was the top. He matriculated. He played. Not much more to say. Brinkley and Jones were stars.
Tinney? (Not sure what happened there.) Hearns? (Academic casualty?) Lamar McPherson (Transfer to Temple? Didn't play here for all intents and purposes.)

That's 50% of those 3 and 4 star players who didn't play.
Hearns got in a brawl with members of a team they had played around playoff time. I believe he was suspended.

All4SU said:
2005 - GRob had a class of 20. (Skowt) 1 @ 4* - Lavar Lobdel 5@ 3* - Ken Tinney, Curtis Brinkley, Arthur Jones, Adam Hearns (QB), & Lamar McPherson No one else was above a two star according to that service. Lobdell was the top. He matriculated. He played. Not much more to say. Brinkley and Jones were stars. Tinney? (Not sure what happened there.) Hearns? (Academic casualty?) Lamar McPherson (Transfer to Temple? Didn't play here for all intents and purposes.) That's 50% of those 3 and 4 star players who didn't play.

That was P's class that Grob held on to most except Rice and the other rutgirls kid plus added Lobdell and Williams.

I have a couple positive thoughts on this class...

1) We beat out other big time schools (big ten, acc, and a few SEC) for majority of these guys. It seems the last decade a lot (not all) of our recruits had other offers from the Uconn, Hofstra, and Umass's of the world. I've always thought offers are the way to evaluate (for an average Joe like me, who doesn't break down film) .

2) Recruiting heartbreak, has been the way of Syracuse fans the last few years... I can't remember the last time we actually got most of the guys we were hyping on this board for months (Ward, Ish, KJ Williams etc...). I like it

3) The Size of these players... heights and weights are real big... especially these receivers. You can't teach size.

I'm excited

I have a couple positive thoughts on this class...

1) We beat out other big time schools (big ten, acc, and a few SEC) for majority of these guys. It seems the last decade a lot (not all) of our recruits had other offers from the Uconn, Hofstra, and Umass's of the world. I've always thought offers are the way to evaluate (for an average Joe like me, who doesn't break down film) .

2) Recruiting heartbreak, has been the way of Syracuse fans the last few years... I can't remember the last time we actually got most of the guys we were hyping on this board for months (Ward, Ish, KJ Williams etc...). I like it

3) The Size of these players... heights and weights are real big... especially these receivers. You can't teach size.

I'm excited
Love the positive thoughts

Curious, I have a friend who keeps harping that our recruited DB's are too short, thoughts?