OFFICIAL: Cuse Tabs Jason Beck as QB Coach | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OFFICIAL: Cuse Tabs Jason Beck as QB Coach

Agree with all this.

This was step one for solving our problems on offense and it was the best case scenario for adding an OC and QB coach. JW went bold, swung for the fences and went for the fences.

Do not ever remember us making hires like these two. Great to see the university again showing its willingness to invest in football.

We need to find and develop some WRs ASAP and maybe add a couple of OL too.

I would expect us to add a solid pass catching TE soon as well. We are going from one end of the bell curve to the other regarding passing to the TE.
Would like this 100x for the comments on TE play. Again I am pretty sure there is a UVA TE who could immediately start for us in the portal and had a pretty good year. Maybe an option for Cuse.

Happy Jeff Goldblum GIF by Apartments.com

Now we as fans have to be patient and give them some time to turnaround and develop the offense. It took them 6 years at Virginia to get where they are. It's going to take a little more than a 1 year turnaround here. I think we have to give them 2 years min.
I'm not expecting the #2 passing offense or whatever next season, sure.

But these guys know what they're doing. We're going to see immediate improvement on offense.

Would like this 100x for the comments on TE play. Again I am pretty sure there is a UVA TE who could immediately start for us in the portal and had a pretty good year. Maybe an option for Cuse.
The only TE in the portal decided to return to UVa. The two WRs in the portal had zero catches last year.

Regardless of the running game the offense is dysfunctional with a non-existent passing game. The passing game imo is starting from scratch and that's hard to argue. Shraders ability to throw and turning a couple of WRs into alpha's is going to take a little more than flicking a switch.

Additionally the OLine gave up 37 sacks I think. (ranked #107). That has to be fixed.

And as with everything there's always a learning curve.
I get the pass game issues, there isn’t anybody that was pointing that out more than me, but it doesn’t mean this is a two year project.

Losing one OL from the two deep. You don‘t have the 18th ranked rush offense with an incompetent OL. Pass pro needs a big improvement, but I trust that it will. Shrader needs to go to Palmers camp and then work all summer with the receivers. If he is closer to 60 than 50 the offense will be more than functional. That is very realistic

The offense this year had the third most games averaging over 6 yds per play, and third best yds per play for the year.

It’s losing two starters, Servais and Johnson, and two guys from the two deep, Benson and Lutz.

That’s it.

I get the pass game issues, there isn’t anybody that was pointing that out more than me, but it doesn’t mean this is a two year project.

Losing one OL from the two deep. You don‘t have the 18th ranked rush offense with an incompetent OL. Pass pro needs a big improvement, but I trust that it will. Shrader needs to go to Palmers camp and then work all summer with the receivers. If he is closer to 60 than 50 the offense will be more than functional. That is very realistic

The offense this year had the third most games averaging over 6 yds per play, and third best yds per play for the year.

It’s losing two starters, Servais and Johnson, and two guys from the two deep, Benson and Lutz.

That’s it.
Don't be surprised if these two are able to use Mang as a traditional TE, rather then just a blocker.
They need to get at least 2 receivers, one who can take the top off of a defense, and one who is a possession receiver.
Then the other receivers have time to show who can play.

This a Mac picture is amazing ! Any clue what game it was from? I feel like I was prob in the student section when it was taken
I think it was the BC game 1987. But I’m not certain. Classic Mac though. Man that guy wore his coaching heart on his sleeve. Gawd love him.

Don't be surprised if these two are able to use Mang as a traditional TE, rather then just a blocker.
They need to get at least 2 receivers, one who can take the top off of a defense, and one who is a possession receiver.
Then the other receivers have time to show who can play.
Love Rhino. But I have a feeling Mang is one of those kids who just learned so much this year. Coming back next year, with a new O approach, I think he is going to bust out.

I'm not expecting the #2 passing offense or whatever next season, sure.

But these guys know what they're doing. We're going to see immediate improvement on offense.
What kind of offense does Anae run?

That’s it.

I think with an actual playbook now I think the passing game will depend on how fast the WR and QB pick it up. There is no guess work now a WR should been in spot X every time. No more option routes I imagine. A more defined passing game will take time to learn.

Also I imagine Tucker will get a ton of work but the blocking scheme and running schemes will change from previous years.

Now we as fans have to be patient and give them some time to turnaround and develop the offense. It took them 6 years at Virginia to get where they are. It's going to take a little more than a 1 year turnaround here. I think we have to give them 2 years min.
What?!! No way...12-0 next year baby!

Most of what I have seen says the run a version of RPO style offense.
Thanks. pretty similar to what we did last year so personnel shouldn’t be a problem. I feel like I’m on an island, but I think Shrader could be a monster if he gets a little bit of help on the field and some good coaching. You just don’t run for close to 100 ypg as a starter if you don’t have supreme talent. Plus a closer look at his stats show he completed 57.5% at Miss St compared to 52.5% here while ypc was 1.5ypc higher at Miss St. This tells me he either had a much better play caller at Miss St, which is kind of obvious, or he didn’t have the help on the field. Kid has 2 more years. He can be a serious weapon.

Last edited:
This is the 84 Nebraska upset. I love it how everybody is going nuts but assistant Bill Maxwell is standing there all composed with arms folded like he's thinking, "I knew it all along." Max and Coach Norm Gerber were the best. Longtime assistants at Cuse with George O'Leary. What a staff! This staff could rival that. What potential we have here. Let's put it together and get this thing rolling!

If this works.. could this be a long term play where Dino gets a run of good years Anae gets 4-5 quality years and then Beck makes a move to Co-OC and then a shot at being the next HC? Maybe even Dino gets a swan song shot with a big 12 team and Beck steps in? I'm dreaming I know of having a successful stretch of years.. really excited for these hires.