OFFICIAL: Cuse Tabs Jason Beck as QB Coach | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

OFFICIAL: Cuse Tabs Jason Beck as QB Coach

I hope both coaches are as excited to be here as we are to have them.

For betting fans: Does coach Beck a: laugh, or b:cry when he sees GS's throwing mechanics?

Neither, as a coach and teacher he gets excited seeing the potential along with the impact he can have moving GS along.

That’s at least how I approached coaching when I saw someone who had the desire but needed work on the skill.

IMO he will always have issues passing the ball. He isn't going to win a game with his arm or lead a big comeback. But that is ok given what he can do.

Here are the 2 touchdown drives at the end of the game against VT. I would call it leading a comeback.

1st & 10 at VT 45
(4:57 - 4th) Garrett Shrader pass complete to Courtney Jackson for 9 yds to the VTech 36
2nd & 1 at VT 36
(4:38 - 4th) Garrett Shrader pass incomplete
3rd & 1 at VT 36
(4:29 - 4th) Sean Tucker run for 15 yds to the VTech 21 for a 1ST down
1st & 10 at VT 21
(3:47 - 4th) Courtney Jackson run for 12 yds to the VTech 9 for a 1ST down
1st & Goal at VT 9
(3:20 - 4th) Sean Tucker run for a loss of 2 yards to the VTech 11
2nd & Goal at VT 11
(2:41 - 4th) run for a loss of 1 yard to the VTech 12 fumbled, recovered by Syrac Garrett Shrader
3rd & Goal at VT 12
(2:28 - 4th) Courtney Jackson 12 Yd pass from Garrett Shrader (Andre Szmyt Kick)

1st & 10 at SYR 30
(0:58 - 4th) Garrett Shrader pass incomplete
2nd & 10 at SYR 30
(0:54 - 4th) Garrett Shrader pass incomplete
3rd & 10 at SYR 30
(0:50 - 4th) Garrett Shrader run for 6 yds to the Syrac 36
4th & 4 at SYR 36
(0:43 - 4th) Garrett Shrader run for 6 yds to the Syrac 42 for a 1ST down
1st & 10 at SYR 42
(0:30 - 4th) Garrett Shrader pass complete to Sean Tucker for 13 yds to the VTech 45 for a 1ST down
1st & 10 at VT 45
(0:19 - 4th) Damien Alford 45 Yd pass from Garrett Shrader (Andre Szmyt Kick)

This is the 84 Nebraska upset. I love it how everybody is going nuts but assistant Bill Maxwell is standing there all composed with arms folded like he's thinking, "I knew it all along." Max and Coach Norm Gerber were the best. Longtime assistants at Cuse with George O'Leary. What a staff! This staff could rival that. What potential we have here. Let's put it together and get this thing rolling!
I just noticed Ivan Fears just behind Mac. Ivan went with Mac to Pats and I think he still might be there unless he retired. Strength and conditioning coach was Mike Woicik who also went with Mac to Pats. He was with Pats with Parcells and then I think Parcells took Mike with him on the rest of his stops, Jets, Dallas. Mike may still be in NFL for all I know.

If Jaime likes your tweet does that get you extra points?
Just asking for a friend. ;)
Oh, and if if happens twice does that mean quadruple points?

* I'm so looking forward to the next few years. Hopefully, I'm not over-enthused. Go Orange(men)!

IMO he will always have issues passing the ball. He isn't going to win a game with his arm or lead a big comeback.
I disagree with this first part of your post. As part of a balanced attack, where the Defense can’t just stack the box, Shrader is more than adequate at mixing things up and keeping a defense honest.

I hope both coaches are as excited to be here as we are to have them.

For betting fans: Does coach Beck a: laugh, or b:cry when he sees GS's throwing mechanics?

I'm assuming he's seen Shrader already when scouting other ACC teams for UVA. I'm curious to know what he thinks of Lamson and Morgan. It's not like the guys they had at UVA were big time recruits.

Agree with all this.

This was step one for solving our problems on offense and it was the best case scenario for adding an OC and QB coach. JW went bold, swung for the fences and went for the fences.

Do not ever remember us making hires like these two. Great to see the university again showing its willingness to invest in football.

We need to find and develop some WRs ASAP and maybe add a couple of OL too.

I would expect us to add a solid pass catching TE soon as well. We are going from one end of the bell curve to the other regarding passing to the TE.
We have a TE. He’s currently lined up at QB.

I’ll see myself out for the night.

Hmmm, UVAs OLine gave up 40 sacks in 2021 (3.3 pg) good for 119th place. Yet, they had the 3rd best offense in the country, so I guess there are many factors at play. A more interesting stat would be the relationship of sacks per attempted passes per game. In that category, Gilbert’s offense surely won out.
Regardless of the running game the offense is dysfunctional with a non-existent passing game. The passing game imo is starting from scratch and that's hard to argue. Shraders ability to throw and turning a couple of WRs into alpha's is going to take a little more than flicking a switch.

Additionally the OLine gave up 37 sacks I think. (ranked #107). That has to be fixed.

And as with everything there's always a learning curve.

Hmmm, UVAs OLine gave up 40 sacks in 2021 (3.3 pg) good for 119th place. Yet, they had the 3rd best offense in the country, so I guess there are many factors at play. A more interesting stat would be the relationship of sacks per attempted passes per game. In that category, Gilbert’s offense surely won out.
Sacks is something of a deceptive stat. If the QB makes any sort of move to pass and doesn't get back to the LOS, it's a sack. We used the Run-Pass Option (RPO) Offense. Shotgun formation; first move is to put the ball into the belly of the RB. If Armstrong faked to the RB, looked downfield for a receiver (didn't immediately take off running), and was stopped short of the LOS running the ball, it's considered a sack. Or, Armstrong fakes to the RB, rolls out to his left (since he's left-handed), tucks in the ball because everyone's covered, and doesn't make it back to the LOS, it's a sack. Then, you always have the dichotomy of "coverage sacks" vs. "rush sacks" on a straight-out pass, i.e., did he have enough time to get off a pass if someone was open.

Every good Coach analyses his/her team’s performance at the close of each season, including their own.

2E88D523-0E2D-411F-93E0-3A8FFF05E21A.gif

Just my opinion but I thought he got worn down in the second and fourth quarters of most games, especially in the fourth quarter.

We asked him to carry the ball on designed runs a lot.

He had to scramble for his life a lot.

And he ended up running on passing plays a lot because our OL was so poor at pass blocking.

He took a lot of big hits too and all of this wore him down.

The hope is that next year, a lot of the passing plays that ended up running plays will be passing plays and the hits will be taken by WRs or TEs. I hope we can reduce the number of designed runs for him somewhat as well, so he doesn't have to use so much energy as the focus for so many of our plays on offense.

If what we are hearing from Hoo fans is true, Anae and Beck might well work to get 2 QBs on the field occassionally, and further distribute the work load for Garrett.

All of these things should help get his passing completion percentage in the 64% range he had this year in the 1st and 3rd quarters. I am confident if we tweak the offense a bit and get our play blocking (this includes the FB and RB) better, Shrader's numbers will get markedly better. You can see what he is capable of from the numbers Otto has posted.
His mechanics (mostly in his lower body) can be fixed by any halfway decent QB coach.

Sacks is something of a deceptive stat. If the QB makes any sort of move to pass and doesn't get back to the LOS, it's a sack. We used the Run-Pass Option (RPO) Offense. Shotgun formation; first move is to put the ball into the belly of the RB. If Armstrong faked to the RB, looked downfield for a receiver (didn't immediately take off running), and was stopped short of the LOS running the ball, it's considered a sack. Or, Armstrong fakes to the RB, rolls out to his left (since he's left-handed), tucks in the ball because everyone's covered, and doesn't make it back to the LOS, it's a sack. Then, you always have the dichotomy of "coverage sacks" vs. "rush sacks" on a straight-out pass, i.e., did he have enough time to get off a pass if someone was open.
Yep all great stuff. Also pure sack numbers don’t adjust for actual pass attempts or even plays per game.

This doesn’t even get into things like adjusting for situations like sacks being more likely on 3rd and long or when behind 2 or more touchdowns etc because the defense essentially generally knows the play call.

My last look at PFF they had some of this stuff graded. Like sack/attempt, situational sack %, average time to pass, average time to sack etc. I’ll see if I can find it later today….

JW said in his presser he wanted a qb guru, and I think the assumption was the guy would fill both roles. To get both the old hand and the rising young guy is an incredible outcome.

In two seasons team has gone from average at best to strong at all three coordinator positions and significantly improved positionally.

That is high level management. Couple this with navigating a very hard change for both lax programs and how that turned out, John has had a great year, even with some hard spots.
Yes. These are very good hires.

If this works.. could this be a long term play where Dino gets a run of good years Anae gets 4-5 quality years and then Beck makes a move to Co-OC and then a shot at being the next HC? Maybe even Dino gets a swan song shot with a big 12 team and Beck steps in? I'm dreaming I know of having a successful stretch of years.. really excited for these hires.
If there is a long term play (not sure how likely this is) post Dino retirement it’s more likely White is HC and Beck is OC. Anae and Dino will be sipping Mai tais at Duke’s in Waikiki together for breakfast.

If there is a long term play (not sure how likely this is) post Dino retirement it’s more likely White is HC and Beck is OC. Anae and Dino will be sipping Mai tais at Duke’s in Waikiki together for breakfast.
And a few years later, Beck heads back to BYU to be their HC.

Some interesting numbers:

In the 1st and 3rd Qs he was over 64% but in the 2nd and 4th he was under 43%

1st down he was 61.8% but under 50% both 2nd and 3rd downs

On 3rd and <7 he was 57% but only 30% on 3rd and 7-9 yards

Inside our own 20 he was 35%, yet he was 69.7% opponents 40-20 with 3 TDs and 65.1% in the red zone with 3 TDs. He looked like a great QB once we crossed the 50, and a bad QB in our own territory.

He was only 43% losing by 1 score, which doesn't help tie the score and is more likely to extend the score.
The two bolder stats, especially the quarter break down screams a failure on the OC to adjust in game. Success in the 1st and 3rd quarter is indicative of good game planning and scripting initial sequences. The colossal drop off in the 2nd and 4th quarters indicates that the OC and HC did not adjust to the defenses own adjustments very well at all. It’s a tale of two QBs and that normally indicates a failure in game management by the coaches.

And a few years later, Beck heads back to BYU to be their HC.
Their current head coach is 46 years old and just went 10-3. Unless he moves on to greener pastures, don't see it happening anytime soon.

I had an adult beverage there on the 23rd.

Their current head coach is 46 years old and just went 10-3. Unless he moves on to greener pastures, don't see it happening anytime soon.
We’re talking 8-10 years from now (per the three estimates). If It isn’t BYU then maybe UVA or another program. He’ll be a hot commodity.

Last edited: