OFFICIAL: Cuse Tabs Jason Beck as QB Coach | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

OFFICIAL: Cuse Tabs Jason Beck as QB Coach

The only TE in the portal decided to return to UVa. The two WRs in the portal had zero catches last year.
Gotcha Hoo, thanks for sharing. On 247 it looked like the TE was still in there so was not sure.

I hope both coaches are as excited to be here as we are to have them.

For betting fans: Does coach Beck a: laugh, or b:cry when he sees GS's throwing mechanics?
C throws up on his shirt...
D soils himself...
E Hops in his SUV and heads south on I 81...IN A HURRY!!

c, defines a development plan to iron out the mechanics
Shrader has shown that he can make strong throws. I am sure Beck has seen that. Now he just has to teach him to consistently repeat the mechanics that result in strength and accuracy on his throws. His resume would indicate that he excels in this area.

Thanks. pretty similar to what we did last year so personnel shouldn’t be a problem. I feel like I’m on an island, but I think Shrader could be a monster if he gets a little bit of help on the field and some good coaching. You just don’t run for close to 100 ypg as a starter if you don’t have supreme talent. Plus a closer look at his stats show he completed 57.5% at Miss St compared to 52.5% here while ypc was 1.5% higher at Miss St. This tells me he either had a much better play caller at Miss St, which is kind of obvious, or he didn’t have the help on the field. Kid has 2 more years. He can be a serious weapon.
IMO he will always have issues passing the ball. He isn't going to win a game with his arm or lead a big comeback. But that is ok given what he can do.

Some interesting numbers:

GS was 49.4% in our Ws and 54.2% in our losses

He was only 51.1% vs FBS

In the 1st and 3rd Qs he was over 64% but in the 2nd and 4th he was under 43%

1st down he was 61.8% but under 50% both 2nd and 3rd downs

On 3rd and <7 he was 57% but only 30% on 3rd and 7-9 yards

Inside our own 20 he was 35%, yet he was 69.7% opponents 40-20 with 3 TDs and 65.1% in the red zone with 3 TDs. He looked like a great QB once we crossed the 50, and a bad QB in our own territory.

He was only 43% losing by 1 score, which doesn't help tie the score and is more likely to extend the score.

In the 1st and 3rd quarters over 64%. Interesting. I wonder what will happen with an OC and QB coach who can actually make in game adjustments for our QB. Not saying that GS doesn't have work to do, he does but putting the QB in position to be successful by making actual in game adjustments once the D has adjusted is as equally important.

IMO he will always have issues passing the ball. He isn't going to win a game with his arm or lead a big comeback. But that is ok given what he can do.

He was only 51.1% vs FBS

Inside our own 20 he was 35%, yet he was 69.7% opponents 40-20 with 3 TDs and 65.1% in the red zone with 3 TDs. He looked like a great QB once we crossed the 50, and a bad QB in our own territory.

He was only 43% losing by 1 score, which doesn't help tie the score and is more likely to extend the score.

Alford and Virginia Tech disagree.

He was only 51.1% vs FBS

't s

I certainly agree he isn't suddenly going to be a fluid passer.

As for the stats that is a lot to absorb. Some of those don't seem to make sense?

Come one winning a game with his arm means slinging it around. One play isn't slinging it around. People need to stop with the polarization of everything. Saying he isn't a great passer isn't anti Shrader.
edit your post bro, he led a comeback and won one with his arm....and there will likely be more.

Come one winning a game with his arm means slinging it around. One play isn't slinging it around. People need to stop with the polarization of everything. Saying he isn't a great passer isn't anti Shrader.
If you were stating that he isn't a great passer, I wouldn't have had a counter. You specifically said, and I highlighted, that he wasn't going to win a game with his arm and lead a comeback. If you meant something different, that didn't come across in your post. I just came up with an example from 2 months ago that refuted what you actually did say.

He was only 51.1% vs FBS

Just my opinion but I thought he got worn down in the second and fourth quarters of most games, especially in the fourth quarter.

We asked him to carry the ball on designed runs a lot.

He had to scramble for his life a lot.

And he ended up running on passing plays a lot because our OL was so poor at pass blocking.

He took a lot of big hits too and all of this wore him down.

The hope is that next year, a lot of the passing plays that ended up running plays will be passing plays and the hits will be taken by WRs or TEs. I hope we can reduce the number of designed runs for him somewhat as well, so he doesn't have to use so much energy as the focus for so many of our plays on offense.

If what we are hearing from Hoo fans is true, Anae and Beck might well work to get 2 QBs on the field occassionally, and further distribute the work load for Garrett.

All of these things should help get his passing completion percentage in the 64% range he had this year in the 1st and 3rd quarters. I am confident if we tweak the offense a bit and get our play blocking (this includes the FB and RB) better, Shrader's numbers will get markedly better. You can see what he is capable of from the numbers Otto has posted.

edit your post bro, he led a comeback and won one with his arm...and there will likely be more.
Semantics. Winning a game with his arm means throwing it 40+ times a game. Winning a game with one throw does not meet that widely held definition of winning a game with one's arm.

If you were stating that he isn't a great passer, I wouldn't have had a counter. You specifically said, and I highlighted, that he wasn't going to win a game with his arm and lead a comeback. If you meant something different, that didn't come across in your post. I just came up with an example from 2 months ago that refuted what you actually did say.
Truthfully, his clutchness (probably not a real word) and fearlessness at end of games is probably one of his best attributes. He brought us back in several games, even ones that we didn't end up winning. That was a huge contrast from TD who I never had confidence he'd bring us back, even in a close game.

Last edited:
Now the fans need to. We left somewhere between $4M to $6M on the table in ticket sales this season.
If the coaches do what they’re hired to do, this fanbase has never had a problem rewarding wins.

Semantics. Winning a game with his arm means throwing it 40+ times a game. Winning a game with one throw does not meet that widely held definition of winning a game with one's arm.
ohhh kaayy
7Mr6ZkFdTjItC3v0RD9636z_h1bYk6wzgYLy_pN4_wDl6dvJgHy76g6iwqJDrDgoiQfHow4WKxdG0i3nR0X1Sj805omzbAY12PqihrHA-hQK9YGW4FJE-78z7YaHHu8qbXyS
on the winning game with his arm part (even though he did throw another td pass right before)

How about not leading a comeback? VT, no?

Last edited: