Oh, Trevor... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Oh, Trevor...

Honestly, I thought you said somewhere in here that G should be the starter. I'm not going to take the time to look for that, but I feel pretty certain you said that.

I do think the starters have been getting too much time on the floor. I don't know if Cooney should go any less than 30, but 35 is probably too much.

I dont think so, but if i did in error i am sure someone will point it out.

I created this thread (which somehow has gotten 4 pages) with this statement:

"Just been a brutal, brutal stretch for him. Great to see Silent G getting run, even if it is at forward. I can see a 25-15 minutes split at the 2 guard going forward. He has earned more PT and Trevor has not done anything in ages."

I get bashed by a few individuals every time i post anything other than the rosiest of pictures with our team. Nothing is done. I was banned a few weeks ago for far, far, far less of a questionable post.

Pays to know the big dogs i guess.

Nobody gets run for a single post unless it is absurdly egregious.

I know people here will always have Cooney colored glasses, and I also acknowledge that we need him shooting well in order to be a threat to win it all... but teams have adjusted to Trevor and he will not drive the ball. He serves very little purpose at this point. No one is game planning for him. They just play good man on him and he is invisible.
The bottom line for me is that, 28 games in, Cooney is taking 7 shots per game from deep and shooting .403 from there, his TS% is .602 and he's averaging 12.8 PPG. And the team is 26-2.

Everyone on this board, and I mean everyone, would have signed up for that in a heartbeat in November.

Last edited:
TBCuse11 said:
33% shooters should not be hoisting 7-10 threes a game. Sorry, if you dont get this... there is no helping you. And he has been shooting poorly for alot longer than three games LOL

I think you should give JB a call. He might be able to explain it to you.

I can see where TB is coming from and I don't disagree that maybe G could use some more PT. TC is a straight jump shooter which, IMO, makes it harder to be consistent. Many good 3 pt shooters use more of a set shot form where there are less variables that can go wrong. Cooney needs to make the open 3s, he just does. The one thing he has proven is that he can make them which makes the defense have to respect his shot. This is why we've seen a change in defensive strategy on him in the ACC. I think some of his struggles the last few games are due to fatigue as well.

Defensively, he has pretty quick hands but G has more length. IMO, one of TC's biggest problems is the position in which he holds the ball after receiving a pass. If he doesn't immediately get a shot off he holds the ball down by his shins instead of in a triple threat position which makes it hard for him to do anything. I think this will be addressed in the offseason (I hope). He should really develop a stop and pop move off the dribble, especially with his jumping ability. This would do wonders for his game. He does not have good finishing ability off the dribble drive.

AJDavCuse said:
Yep, because 33% from 3 is the equivalent of 50% from 2. Using your logic, only Rak and Baye should ever shoot more than 7-10 FGs a game.

I have no doubt some don't understand that. Or even know Cooney is 2nd in the ACC in Adj shooting percentage.

This all needs to stop.

The fact of the matter is whether Cooney shoots 50% from three in ACC play or 20%, the team needs him to keep shooting.

He is our one bonafide three point threat. Without a real three point threat, opponents will not respect the three and our offense will struggle more.

Cooney not only needs to keep shooting to get out of his funk, but to keep the opposing teams honest. As long as there is an opposing player or two making sure Cooney doesn't get open looks (which has been the case), there will be other open players.

Cooney just being around the three point line draw the opposing defense and creates open looks for Grant, Fair and Xmas down low, which is why JB wants TC to put the ball on the floor and find the open man when he himself doesn't have the shot.

And you claim you played and coached this game? Highly doubtful with that comment. Stats are stats. Like I said, he is indeed a good game or two away from being back on pace to being the best volume 3 pt shooter in the last decade at SU.

Stats don't lie, opinions do. Scoop Jardine was a better 3pt shooter than Gmac over the course of his career. The numbers say as much. Popular opinion would say otherwise.
alot of people would disagree w/ you. stats are for statatitions

You're missing the fact that TC is one of the best defensive guards out there, plus one of the best cutters in the game. Just let him do his thing and it will work out, as is the case with all shooters.

TBCuse11 said:
I dont think so, but if i did in error i am sure someone will point it out. I created this thread (which somehow has gotten 4 pages) with this statement: "Just been a brutal, brutal stretch for him. Great to see Silent G getting run, even if it is at forward. I can see a 25-15 minutes split at the 2 guard going forward. He has earned more PT and Trevor has not done anything in ages."

Oh, you've said G should be the starter. In fact you said in another thread earlier today that it is pretty clear he should be the starter. You then went on to say something like the Cooney gravy train was coming off the tracks, or some childish thing that again shows you root against him.

Last edited:
Michael Gbinije in no way has earned a starting position. He's molded into a perfect 6th man that can play any of three positions. He is Mr. Versatility.

He is the role player that every team wishes they had. The acquisition of Gbinije last year reassured me that we have one of the, if not the best coach in college basketball.

I fully trust JB to make the right decisions regarding the players and so far I think he has.

He needs to attack the basket more and use his frame to get to the foul line when he isnt making shots. That really it.

This. He needs to diversify his game. Opponents are rushing to defend his three because they know he isn't going to put the ball on the floor and go past them.

He needs to put the ball on the floor and go past them.

This is what we are all saying... but the Cooney crew doesnt get it.
The Cooney Crew? LOL I wasn't going to post in this silly thread but this shows your bias. So you are in the Anti -Cooney Crew? How does it feel hating a player that plays for your so called favorite team? I've never experienced that. I've been frustrated with certain players but never rooted against them. I can see you smiling when Trevor misses a three.

Nah, Ennis is above and beyond the Cusenation favorite player. He could murder the pope on Marshall street and would still get a standing O. He can do no wrong.

No one will ever beat Carmelo. He could execute a fan in the middle of a game and a sizable portion of Cuse fans would try to justify it.

Trevor needs to shoot better and I disagree with the premise of this thread, just hate to knock G in order to justify my position, so I won't.

I'd argue it'd be G Mac.

The dude could do no wrong.

Defensively? Resoundingly, yes.
Offensively, G has been consistently getting better while TC has been getting consistently worse. Given TC's ability, that we assume he has because he hasnt shown it aside from ND, TC is still a better offensive threat but G is getting better and better each game.
Resoundingly yes? Based on what? I'm not even sure if he's any better at all. G has the ability and size to also play the three which is extremely valuable for us but at the 2, Cooney gets a hell of a lot of deflections and steals. He has also been one that at the end of games comes up with loose balls and rebounds that only flat out hustle and determination gets.

Nice dilemma to have defensively though. Two guys can help us win. I don't mind either out there on the defensive end.

Again, I didn't see the game last night, so this next comment is based on past performance. One of the things that I don't understand about our offense, and maybe Coach Orange can explain it a little better, is why we set up Cooney for such tough shots. Many times when he receives the ball, he is coming screaming off of a pic from underneath, and his momentum can only take him away from the hoop/three point line, etc. Need to find better ways to get him stepping into the shot and not away from it.

Shooters can get shots in several ways. Some work better for some players, others work better for others. Some shooters, like Reggie Miller or Rip Hamilton, work better off of baseline (sometimes called "Power") screens. Dirk Nowitzki is an example of a player that finds shots by popping off of setting ball screens. Still, others work best off of fade screens, spotting up in transition or on post-ups, or dribbling off of ball screens when their defender goes under the screen.

That said, Boeheim's half-court offense, which is series of set plays in the mold of NBA offenses, has featured baseline screens as a way of getting the ball into his best players' hands for several years now. This is a common way to begin offense--many teams initiate half court sets with wings popping off of screens to the free-throw-line-extended. Boeheim often uses the "single-double version" of this. In this play, one player is designated as the cutter. This player starts on the baseline and then has the choice--depending on how his defender plays him--to come off the single-post screen on one side or the double screen on the other. The double is often the opposite wing and the other post player.

For example, if Cooney is the cutter (which would be our "2" play), he would run choose whether to come off the single (possibly set by Christmas or BMK) on one block or the double (Grant and Fair) on the other block.

Cooney gets some good looks in the offense off of that play. It is important to note that Cooney also gets some solid shots in transition (when we get transition opportunities), and he spots up on post ups and dribble drives, which occasionally get him solid shots.

Unfortunately, he has missed several of these opportunities in conference play outside of the Notre Dame game. In addition, he forces shots at times that aren't really "good" in terms of the flow of the offense. My guess is that, when he has been told that he is the first option on a play, he feels like he has to shoot it. This is probably compounded by knowing he is the only "shooter" the team has.

Furthermore, earlier in the year, the team ran a play that got him several looks at the top of the key. It was a screen-the-screener action where Cooney set a screen for one of the bigs, and the other big set a screen right away for him. He made a good number of shots off of the action in this set. For some reason, that play has disappeared from the offense. Pulling it back out might help get him some good looks.

There are other ways to get him more clean looks within the offense, but that is a different post.

Last edited:
No one will ever beat Carmelo. He could execute a fan in the middle of a game and a sizable portion of Cuse fans would try to justify it.

Melo would just have Ray Felton do it for him. Ray seems to be more equipped for that kind of thing right now.

This is what we are all saying... but the Cooney crew doesnt get it.
Didn't realize that we're splitting the TEAM by individual players now... Oh Lord
brains.jpg

Didn't realize that we're splitting the TEAM by individual players now... Oh Lord
View attachment 8402
Don't bother...this classless clown is a train wreck and only shows up when TC has an off night.

At least Igor and Bluecurtain pick on JB who is a paid professional, not a 20 year old amateur student athlete. Ignorance is bliss.