Oh, Trevor... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Oh, Trevor...

I don't really know how you can compare Nichols, Wes and G Mac to Cooney.

Even when the other three shot poorly from the arc in conference play they made up for it in other aspects of the game..

Nichols and Wes with rebounding and dynamic scoring all over the floor.

Gerry with unselfish play and creating offensive opportunities for other players.

It's not the fact that the shots aren't falling for Cooney that frightens me, everyone gets in a shooting funk, it's the fact that he often times doesn't seem to adjust and use his athleticism to create offense and opportunities around him.

I'm not saying he should stop shooting threes by any means, he needs to keep pulling to get out of the funk. I'm just saying that he needs to also look to create offense around himself, because he's skilled enough and the offense will improve if/when he succeeds.

Wasn't my intent to argue anything other than a prior comment that Cooney was a horrible shooter from TBCuse11, which I think got deleted, so have no interest in responding to your other points. He isn't a horrible shooter.

I don't really know how you can compare Nichols, Wes and G Mac to Cooney.

Even when the other three shot poorly from the arc in conference play they made up for it in other aspects of the game..

Nichols and Wes with rebounding and dynamic scoring all over the floor.

Gerry with unselfish play and creating offensive opportunities for other players.

It's not the fact that the shots aren't falling for Cooney that frightens me, everyone gets in a shooting funk, it's the fact that he often times doesn't seem to adjust and use his athleticism to create offense and opportunities around him.

I'm not saying he should stop shooting threes by any means, he needs to keep pulling to get out of the funk. I'm just saying that he needs to also look to create offense around himself, because he's skilled enough and the offense will improve if/when he succeeds.

Edit: Cooney is a great player, hustles his a$$ of and deserves the starting position. But these players are not perfect. Cooney isn't and hasn't been perfect. Everyone needs to work on things. For Cooney it's the ability to put the ball on the floor and create offense around him when he's not getting good shooting looks or isn't shooting well.

Cooney is a dynamic scorer and offensive weapon and I'd like to see him utilize his skill and athleticism to improve our offense the way I know he can.

I dont think he was comparing anything other than 3 point shooting.

I'm not knocking on Cooney, I'm just putting out my opinion on what he needs to do to help this team.

-Keep shooting, get out of this funk.

-Create offense around him when he doesn't have good looks.

That's about it. I think everyone on the team has things to work on. This is college basketball nobody is perfect. We're 25-2 and arguably still the best team in the nation, lets not melt down and point fingers due to a couple losses.

LGO

Lol. Gerry with unselfish play may be the funniest thing I've ever read.

Cooney does nothing else? Have you seen the dude play defense? Come on...
I'm talking about offense. I didn't say he does nothing else, I'm saying he's capable of much more.

And you claim you played and coached this game? Highly doubtful with that comment. Stats are stats. Like I said, he is indeed a good game or two away from being back on pace to being the best volume 3 pt shooter in the last decade at SU.

Stats don't lie, opinions do. Scoop Jardine was a better 3pt shooter than Gmac over the course of his career. The numbers say as much. Popular opinion would say otherwise.

Now you are just making a fool of yourself. If Keita banks in a half court shot to end a half and finishes the year 1 for 1, then i guess he is the best shooter in America. After all, numbers dont lie.

I dont think he was comparing anything other than 3 point shooting.

Fair enough, I didn't see TBCuse's comment that got deleted so I read it out of context. Sorry.

I'm not knocking on Cooney, I'm just putting out my opinion on what he needs to do to help this team.

-Keep shooting, get out of this funk.

-Create offense around him when he doesn't have good looks.

That's about it. I think everyone on the team has things to work on. This is college basketball nobody is perfect. We're 25-2 and arguably still the best team in the nation, lets not melt down and point fingers due to a couple losses.

LGO

This is what we are all saying... but the Cooney crew doesnt get it.

Wasn't my intent to argue anything other than a prior comment that Cooney was a horrible shooter from TBCuse11, which I think got deleted, so have no interest in responding to your other points. He isn't a horrible shooter.

He has been a horrible shooter in ACC play. This is not my opinion. This is a reality. Sorry bro.

2 other cuse players have shot > 40% from 3 for a season in the last decade when shooting > 100 shots. Nichols and Wes. Wes shot 41.5% for season but only 28.3% in BE. Nichols 41.7% for season, 37.7% in BE play. TC is at 40.3% on season and 32.7% in BE play. If he shot like he did in ND the next game (not that I expect) he'd be better than DN on the season and just behind him for BE play. One game like he's had this year away from being the best 3pt shooter for a long time at SU. His BE 3pt % is just below what Gmac shot for his senior season. Have some context people.

Andy Rautins?

Now you are just making a fool of yourself. If Keita banks in a half court shot to end a half and finishes the year 1 for 1, then i guess he is the best shooter in America. After all, numbers dont lie.

Do you even understand how stats work?

Did you not read the part where he specified > 100 three point attempts before you responded?

Delusion and irrationality abound.

That's why I've said in these posts that I am only looking at players that have shot more than 100 shots to make it statistically significant.

He has been a horrible shooter in ACC play. This is not my opinion. This is a reality. Sorry bro.

The dude is 33%. Wes was less in conference play 28% and Nichols was more 37%. I mean what do you want. He has not shot good in the last 3 games we all know that but don't act like hes been terrible all season. You are making yourself look foolish. If before the season someone said Cooney would be over 40% on the year everyone would be flipping out.

The dude is 33%. Wes was less in conference play 28% and Nichols was more 37%. I mean what do you want. He has not shot good in the last 3 games we all know that but don't act like hes been terrible all season. You are making yourself look foolish. If before the season someone said Cooney would be over 40% on the year everyone would be flipping out.

33% shooters should not be hoisting 7-10 threes a game. Sorry, if you dont get this... there is no helping you. And he has been shooting poorly for alot longer than three games LOL

That's why I've said in these posts that I am only looking at players that have shot more than 100 shots to make it statistically significant.

didnt see that. fair enough.

33% shooters should not be hoisting 7-10 threes a game. Sorry, if you dont get this... there is no helping you. And he has been shooting poorly for alot longer than three games LOL

So Nichols and other 3 point shooters didn't? lol

EDIT: Oh and he was 54% the 5 games prior to the last 3, yea thats pretty rough. Before the last Duke game he was 42% from 3 against ranked teams.

Last edited:
Trublue... its a lost cause. i try to look for the best in some of these posters, and at least a hint of objectivity.. but alas this is an SU fan forum and most are just that. We all want Cuse to win though, so lets just hope TC starts playing better. He has been a brutal player for weeks.
Just keep posting your negative drivel. I guess it doesn't matter since you have zero credibility anyways.

My major hang up with Cooney is when he misses. They are usually a long off the iron, which leads to a fast break or quick basket because we can't get our zone setup. Now that he's being pushed out further his misses are even longer than before. He needs to make shots, he's our shooter.

Again, I didn't see the game last night, so this next comment is based on past performance. One of the things that I don't understand about our offense, and maybe Coach Orange can explain it a little better, is why we set up Cooney for such tough shots. Many times when he receives the ball, he is coming screaming off of a pic from underneath, and his momentum can only take him away from the hoop/three point line, etc. Need to find better ways to get him stepping into the shot and not away from it.

Rak is starting to get the ball more on designed plays. I think he is our 4th option now, ahead of TC. He was getting hugged and grabbed and smothered last night and had a few awful calls against him. I have much more confidence right now that he will finish than I do in a TC 3 ball.

We need Cooney to hit the 3 ball. We are going to live or die at the end of the day on his proficiency. There are no other serious alternatives. This is a scary thought but you have to have somebody who is willing to take and make that shot. G isn't the answer when it comes to the 3. CJ and Ennis can make them on occasion but its not their game.

I post all the time, and certainly not just about Cooney. I have also stated countless, and i mean countless, times that we need TC to play well if we are going to win the title. I just dont see him turning it around. I hope i am wrong, i havent been yet since i noticed him slipping well over a month ago. if not longer.

And what effect do you believe relegating Cooney to a non-starter's role would have for him or for the team? Do you really believe he would be able to regain any confidence in his shot (assuming that's what you believe is going on) if he got sat down for a converted forward?

4 pages?

my two cents...

Streaky shooters are streaky.:noidea:

Do I wish he had nailed some of his open 3s last night? Of course, but the guy is shooting at a 40% clip. Shots will fall in some games and not others. It's basketball not the psychiatry or rocket science some want it to be.

Cooney should be playing 30 / G 10.

35-40 Mins is too much for how much Cooney is running around. I think he'd have more legs for his shot this way and we'd see better results. JMO.

And what effect do you believe relegating Cooney to a non-starter's role would have for him or for the team? Do you really believe he would be able to regain any confidence in his shot (assuming that's what you believe is going on) if he got sat down for a converted forward?

sigh...

25 minutes for Cooney and 15 for G is certainly not "relegating Cooney to a non-starter's role"

sigh...

25 minutes for Cooney and 15 for G is certainly not "relegating Cooney to a non-starter's role"

Honestly, I thought you said somewhere in here that G should be the starter. I'm not going to take the time to look for that, but I feel pretty certain you said that.

I do think the starters have been getting too much time on the floor. I don't know if Cooney should go any less than 30, but 35 is probably too much.