Oh, Trevor... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Oh, Trevor...

TBCuse11 said:
I have no disdain. I dont HATE any 20 year old kids. I think our team is better when he is off the floor since the ACC started. This is my opinion. I will not deny that TC is by far the favorite player of CuseNation this year. You can just tell at the games as people erupt when he scores and gasp when he misses.

Nah, Ennis is above and beyond the Cusenation favorite player. He could murder the pope on Marshall street and would still get a standing O. He can do no wrong.

And what are you basing that on? Because it is false.

If anything Gbinije's athleticism seems pretty average, while Cooney's seems above average.

How are we measuring athleticism? Cooney is surely quicker laterally than MG. He has the highest vertical on the team at 41", a level surpassed by only 4 of the 52 players measured at the NBA combine last year.

Cooney is too much like a roller coaster, and Gbinije hasn't gotten enough steady minutes on a regular basis throughout the season to show true comparison. Apples to oranges. Some games Cooney looks great, some Gbinije shows sparks of brilliance... but nothing consistent from either player.

This team's only offensive playbook consists of running Fair or Cooney off screens. That's it. The rest of the time it's weave around the top (wasting time) or 1-on-1 streetball, and hope to take the defender or settle for a long contested jumpshot. There's no passing with any purpose, or driving the lane, kicking to the wing, fast-moving passes to shift the defenses and get open looks. Not to mention Xmas has rarely gotten any touches in the low post all year, or rarely has the opportunity to have the defense collapse and kick back out to an open shooter... In assists, we rank 216th in the nation. That's pathetic. Unless JB can design some offensive game plans other than what's keeping us treading water at 55-60 pts per game, and unless our defense can save us every game, this team is gonna be an early exit in March.

How many teams have a McD AA at center, a supposed-1st round draft pick 'n top 50 HS recruit at PF, a preseason ACC player of the year at SF, a SG who shoots 40% from 3, and a 5-star PG who is one of the best in the country... with a decent bench, and we can't score!!!!! Mind boggling.

Trueblue25 said:
G's making plays, playing aggressive and getting other players good looks.

And what in last nights game brought you to that conclusion?

Until Cooney starts putting the ball on the floor more and creating scoring chances for other players (because he's still in this awful shooting funk) I see no reason why G's minutes should not increase little by little.

G's making plays, playing aggressive and getting other players good looks.

And weren't you the guy at the beginning of the season who was insisting that Keita be benched?

You'll forgive me for not trusting your instincts about minutes distribution ahead of JB's.

First off I believe there is a reason Gbinije is playing better, because he is playing his natural position 3. He is most comfortable at 3 right now and at most is a 2 guard. He will never be a point, can he play it? Yes. He has been matched up with slower defenders because of this and should be able to beat them.

Second, I love the people who complain about Cooney when he struggles shooting. No denying he has struggled the past few games shooting. The guy still busts his rump every game and its not because of lack of effort. He still made some key plays down the stretch that I don't think Gbinije would have made.

TC is a streaky shooter and lately he has been on a bad run. I am sure fatigue is a bit of a factor despite JB's protestations that there is no such thing. That said we have no other options. JB is essentially playing 5 for 4 when you exclude the center position so we are going to have to live with TC's ups and downs. He contributes in other ways and he is a threat. I like how G has played but if I were an opponent I'd fear TC more than G from beyond the arc.

Nah, Ennis is above and beyond the Cusenation favorite player. He could murder the pope on Marshall street and would still get a standing O. He can do no wrong.

It's amazing to me when the offense struggles he receives no blame whatsoever by the people here. He had a better game scoring last night but he needs to push the ball when the other teams are crashing 4 players for offensive rebounds.

I totally agree teams game plan around TC more than every other player, and to say he just can't beat man to man coverage is insane. Take Duke for example every time we even tried to screen for him there was a hard switch immediately. The kid has to be exhausted at the end of games based on the fact he has been constantly moving. I suspect the four days off will be good for TC.

I agree with that. But I think it is also more than just exhaustion. I don't know what it is, but he is 1-2 week streaky and that is weird. The biggest thing with Cooney is that I think he needs to put the ball on the floor more and getting blocked twice in the last two games is not going to help that.

44cuse

I've always felt Cooney is a very limited talent. Can't drive to open up his shot or other's shots. Can't pressure the defense off the dribble, Is often too short or slow to come off picks and get open looks. It is difficult for him to get open looks and he's just too limited when he's not. Doesn't defend or rebound particularly well.
Oh and Jerami Grant spends more time on the floor than court varnish.

I've always felt Cooney is a very limited talent. Can't drive to open up his shot or other's shots. Can't pressure the defense off the dribble, Is often too short or slow to come off picks and get open looks. It is difficult for him to get open looks and he's just too limited when he's not. Doesn't defend or rebound particularly well.
Oh and Jerami Grant spends more time on the floor than court varnish.
wow, just an uncanny set of observations right there

And weren't you the guy at the beginning of the season who was insisting that Keita be benched?

You'll forgive me for not trusting your instincts about minutes distribution ahead of JB's.

I never said he should be benched, I suggested that DCII and RC get the majority of the minutes. Christmas' game has surpassed Keita's this season but Keita still remains a necessary presence in the zone.

Coleman needed to play to develop but he's hurt and hopefully recovers well.

I understand your loyalties to BMK and your guys love for Shaky Potatoes. But the fact of the matter is he's in a funk right now. He needs to realize he's better than just a perimeter threat. I believe that when Cooney starts to dribble, penetrate and dish out or inside...that's when we'll see our offense improve.

If you don't want to take my word for it, watch JB's presser after the Duke game he wants the same thing.

Cooney is still the starter, and should still get the lions share of the minutes because frankly even in a funk he plays his a$$ off.

But Gbinije is doing a good job too and has been helping to hold our offense together, especially in the first half of the Duke game.

2 other cuse players have shot > 40% from 3 for a season in the last decade when shooting > 100 shots. Nichols and Wes. Wes shot 41.5% for season but only 28.3% in BE. Nichols 41.7% for season, 37.7% in BE play. TC is at 40.3% on season and 32.7% in BE play. If he shot like he did in ND the next game (not that I expect) he'd be better than DN on the season and just behind him for BE play. One game like he's had this year away from being the best 3pt shooter for a long time at SU. His BE 3pt % is just below what Gmac shot for his senior season. Have some context people.

TC is a streaky shooter and lately he has been on a bad run. I am sure fatigue is a bit of a factor despite JB's protestations that there is no such thing. That said we have no other options. JB is essentially playing 5 for 4 when you exclude the center position so we are going to have to live with TC's ups and downs. He contributes in other ways and he is a threat. I like how G has played but if I were an opponent I'd fear TC more than G from beyond the arc.

Rak is starting to get the ball more on designed plays. I think he is our 4th option now, ahead of TC. He was getting hugged and grabbed and smothered last night and had a few awful calls against him. I have much more confidence right now that he will finish than I do in a TC 3 ball.

2 other cuse players have shot > 40% from 3 for a season in the last decade when shooting > 100 shots. Nichols and Wes. Wes shot 41.5% for season but only 28.3% in BE. Nichols 41.7% for season, 37.7% in BE play. TC is at 40.3% on season and 32.7% in BE play. If he shot like he did in ND the next game (not that I expect) he'd be better than DN on the season and just behind him for BE play. One game like he's had this year away from being the best 3pt shooter for a long time at SU. His BE 3pt % is just below what Gmac shot for his senior season. Have some context people.

You just PROVED that stats can be very misleading. Not even the most biased TC fans would even begin to imply that TC is having one of the best 3 point shooting years in program history. I hope anyways.. but i guess u never know.

AJDavCuse said:
How are we measuring athleticism? Cooney is surely quicker laterally than MG. He has the highest vertical on the team at 41", a level surpassed by only 4 of the 52 players measured at the NBA combine last year.

I think people assume it because he's white. Which is just stupid....

You can tell with one blind eye that Cooney is extremely athletic.

You just PROVED that stats can be very misleading. Not even the most biased TC fans would even begin to imply that TC is having one of the best 3 point shooting years in program history. I hope anyways.. but i guess u never know.

This guy ^ :rolling:

maxresdefault.jpg

I think they're looking for some new help at the Hipster Troll Carwash, some of you might be interested.

And you claim you played and coached this game? Highly doubtful with that comment. Stats are stats. Like I said, he is indeed a good game or two away from being back on pace to being the best volume 3 pt shooter in the last decade at SU.

Stats don't lie, opinions do. Scoop Jardine was a better 3pt shooter than Gmac over the course of his career. The numbers say as much. Popular opinion would say otherwise.

I don't really know how you can compare Nichols, Wes and G Mac to Cooney.

Even when the other three shot poorly from the arc in conference play they made up for it in other aspects of the game..

Nichols and Wes with rebounding and dynamic scoring all over the floor.

Gerry with unselfish play and creating offensive opportunities for other players.

It's not the fact that the shots aren't falling for Cooney that frightens me, everyone gets in a shooting funk, it's the fact that he often times doesn't seem to adjust and use his athleticism to create offense and opportunities around him.

I'm not saying he should stop shooting threes by any means, he needs to keep pulling to get out of the funk. I'm just saying that he needs to also look to create offense around himself, because he's skilled enough and the offense will improve if/when he succeeds.

Edit: Cooney is a great player, hustles his a$$ of and deserves the starting position. But these players are not perfect. Cooney isn't and hasn't been perfect. Everyone needs to work on things. For Cooney it's the ability to put the ball on the floor and create offense around him when he's not getting good shooting looks or isn't shooting well.

Cooney is a dynamic scorer and offensive weapon and I'd like to see him utilize his skill and athleticism to improve our offense the way I know he can.

I don't really know how you can compare Nichols, Wes and G Mac to Cooney.

Even when the other three shot poorly from the arc in conference play they made up for it in other aspects of the game..

Nichols and Wes with rebounding and dynamic scoring all over the floor.

Gerry with unselfish play and creating offensive opportunities for other players.

It's not the fact that the shots aren't falling for Cooney that frightens me, everyone gets in a shooting funk, it's the fact that he often times doesn't seem to adjust and use his athleticism to create offense and opportunities around him.

I'm not saying he should stop shooting threes by any means, he needs to keep pulling to get out of the funk. I'm just saying that he needs to also look to create offense around himself, because he's skilled enough and the offense will improve if/when he succeeds.

Trublue... its a lost cause. i try to look for the best in some of these posters, and at least a hint of objectivity.. but alas this is an SU fan forum and most are just that. We all want Cuse to win though, so lets just hope TC starts playing better. He has been a brutal player for weeks.

Trueblue25 said:
I don't really know how you can compare Nichols, Wes and G Mac to Cooney. Even when the other three shot poorly from the arc in conference play they made up for it in other aspects of the game.. Nichols and Wes with rebounding and dynamic scoring all over the floor. Gerry with unselfish play and creating offensive opportunities for other players. It's not the fact that the shots aren't falling for Cooney that frightens me, everyone gets in a shooting funk, it's the fact that he often times doesn't seem to adjust and use his athleticism to create offense and opportunities around him. I'm not saying he should stop shooting threes by any means, he needs to keep pulling to get out of the funk. I'm just saying that he needs to also look to create offense around himself, because he's skilled enough and the offense will improve if/when he succeeds.

Lol. Gerry with unselfish play may be the funniest thing I've ever read.

Cooney does nothing else? Have you seen the dude play defense? Come on.....