Ohio Attendance | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Ohio Attendance

People who think we’re going to get anything near 40k need a reality check. It’s week 1 against Ohio. It will be right around what we typically get for opener against a non P4 team.

Let’s not expect a full house until we’ve won a few games and have an ACC team coming to town.

I hope I’m wrong and will gladly eat crow.
What purpose does a post like this serve?? Dream scenario...47,000 people come to the game with a small bowl of crow to serve to Jon before kickoff.

People who think we’re going to get anything near 40k need a reality check. It’s week 1 against Ohio. It will be right around what we typically get for opener against a non P4 team.

Let’s not expect a full house until we’ve won a few games and have an ACC team coming to town.

I hope I’m wrong and will gladly eat crow.
Agree, our diehards are fantastic, but we're not one of the areas where college football is such a part of the culture that it's the thing to do on fall Saturdays. We have to show people it will be fun and entertaining and that's ok. We're like most of the rest of the country in that way, pretty much all schools except for Notre Dame, Oklahoma and some SEC and Big 10 schools where college football is king.

There is some Fran excitement, but to think we're going to suddenly sell out every game without proof on the field seems rather naive to me.

Also some here are speaking on Ohio like they’re Colgate. The MAC isn’t that bad.

It's not about how good or bad they are. It's the appeal of the name to fans.

We'll get 35k for this because it's an opener with a buzz. But we don't draw 40k for MAC teams. I wish we did, but we don't. If we do, then maybe we're truly ushering in a new era as we all hope.

Agree, our diehards are fantastic, but we're not one of the areas where college football is such a part of the culture that it's the thing to do on fall Saturdays. We have to show people it will be fun and entertaining and that's ok. We're like most of the rest of the country in that way, pretty much all schools except for Notre Dame, Oklahoma and some SEC and Big 10 schools where college football is king.

There is some Fran excitement, but to think we're going to suddenly sell out every game without proof on the field seems rather naive to me.
Absolutely. College football in the Northeast is entertainment, not religion. People want to spend their entertainment dollars on a winner.

47,000 people would mean a lot of standing room only. New capacity is 42k to 43k. Not sure they've released an actual figure yet.

What purpose does a post like this serve?? Dream scenario...47,000 people come to the game with a small bowl of crow to serve to Jon before kickoff.
If 47K people show up, there will be some problems.

Edit: Ha! Several others beat me to it.

I had some tix to sell in 320 on the aisle in the $200 zone...the Ticketmaster suggested pricing was BS. I dropped them to $40 and got them sold.

I'd rather make a few extra bucks than eat the ticket

I think Ticketmaster’s suggested pricing is generally nonsense. When I sell tickets, I always check what the pricing is as if I’m buying tickets to decide what I’ll list for. When I compare that to what Ticketmaster suggests, their suggestion is significantly higher 90% of the time. It’s one of the worst, most useless features possible. I think the algorithm starts by assuming higher demand than is reality for most games, the only times it’s been close is for premium games with higher than normal demand.

Could see the school giving tickets away the last week to elementary and jr high schools. Goes in line with Fran’s message to give back. Also creates a new generation of fans. Remember Fran talking about his first college game watch was Syracuse when he was younger with his teammates. Not going to brake the bank for Syracuse to give away remaining tickets to school kids.

I think you are totally correct that su does this to verify season tix pricing, the $70 does roughly equate to the tix cost per game there over 7 games.

But still, as you said, I dont think many of us would have a problem if, say, 10 days before a game vs a MAC school no name (for casuals), su dropped 20 or 25 bucks off singles that didnt sell as a season tix. Just so non diehards (which we need 7 or 8k of to sell out any game), would actually buy them, and take their family.

Im happy to pay more for my tix than casual fans, its a price I for one would be more than willing to pay (yes, pun) to get the Dome filled. Personally, a full house enhances my gameday experience exponentially.

I have New Jersey Devils season tickets and take my kids to 7-8 games each year. One thing some pro teams have started doing is offering opportunities to “bid” on gameday experiences - last year my kids rode the Zamboni, watched warmups from the penalty box, and fist bumped players on their way onto the ice. It helped take going to hockey games from something my daughter probably tolerated to something she looks forward to now - and the only way to be eligible is to be a season ticket holder.

I don’t disagree with you viewpoint, I like knowing exactly where I’m sitting every game as opposed to buying individual games and bouncing around a stadium or arena - there’s some economic value in that to me. But teams/schools have other levers they can pull so if they need to lower pricing for a particular game below what season ticket holders paid, the STH still feel they’re getting a solid deal.

TL;DR version - Syracuse should really look into coming up with gameday experiences for STHs. (This is a big ask, since it would need to be structured significantly differently than how an NHL team does it).

I have New Jersey Devils season tickets and take my kids to 7-8 games each year. One thing some pro teams have started doing is offering opportunities to “bid” on gameday experiences - last year my kids rode the Zamboni, watched warmups from the penalty box, and fist bumped players on their way onto the ice. It helped take going to hockey games from something my daughter probably tolerated to something she looks forward to now - and the only way to be eligible is to be a season ticket holder.

I don’t disagree with you viewpoint, I like knowing exactly where I’m sitting every game as opposed to buying individual games and bouncing around a stadium or arena - there’s some economic value in that to me. But teams/schools have other levers they can pull so if they need to lower pricing for a particular game below what season ticket holders paid, the STH still feel they’re getting a solid deal.

TL;DR version - Syracuse should really look into coming up with gameday experiences for STHs. (This is a big ask, since it would need to be structured significantly differently than how an NHL team does it).
They’ve started doing this for donors first through Legends Society. They offer pre game field access and other perks. I wouldn’t be surprised if they found a way to extend more of these things to season ticket holders. They definitely should. Even free raffles and more rewards to encourage purchasing. Hopefully they offer pre season access or a special scrimmage or meet and greet. All would be well received by the diehards.

I think Ticketmaster’s suggested pricing is generally nonsense. When I sell tickets, I always check what the pricing is as if I’m buying tickets to decide what I’ll list for. When I compare that to what Ticketmaster suggests, their suggestion is significantly higher 90% of the time. It’s one of the worst, most useless features possible. I think the algorithm starts by assuming higher demand than is reality for most games, the only times it’s been close is for premium games with higher than normal demand.

Part of it is, Ticketmaster wants to sell their inventory first before you sell yours

Their goal is to make more $$$ than you and for the school/team

Could see the school giving tickets away the last week to elementary and jr high schools. Goes in line with Fran’s message to give back. Also creates a new generation of fans. Remember Fran talking about his first college game watch was Syracuse when he was younger with his teammates. Not going to brake the bank for Syracuse to give away remaining tickets to school kids.

This absolutely will not happen

Has nothing to do with cost has to do more with back lash from people who bought and paid tickets.

It completely devalues buying seasons etc

I know for a fact that Cuse will not be giving them free tickets to the general public like that.

They more offer to staff as “appreciation” but certainly not to the general public

They’ve started doing this for donors first through Legends Society. They offer pre game field access and other perks. I wouldn’t be surprised if they found a way to extend more of these things to season ticket holders. They definitely should. Even free raffles and more rewards to encourage purchasing. Hopefully they offer pre season access or a special scrimmage or meet and greet. All would be well received by the diehards.

I think they want to, I just think there are some still within the regime that are very resistant to this kind of stuff for whatever reason

You can buy an Ohio ticket for $70-100 in 319. You can buy a season ticket for $400
the same ticket for Vt is $125

If your goal is to move season tickets that avg out to $55 a ticket how would you price single game tickets now if your job was to move tickets?

You could argue seasons were priced too high, but $55 a game at the 50 I would say is not too high and in fact if we get attendance up into the high 30s demand will pretty good.

if you sell those same seats for $40 then what is the value of the season ticket at all?

I would argue though the removal of the game packs is really an issue for some

Some people only want to go to 2-3-4 games anyway so Ohio/HS/Uconn will be a tough sell no matter what you do.

If you only want to see 3 big games like Stan/VT/Miami you can spend $375 or pay $400 and get all 7.

From reading this I would think $40 for the lower games and $70 for the others makes sense

$40/40/40 = 140
$70/70/70/$70 = 280.

Well gee thats $400

I put "bid" in quotes because for the Devils, its only partially financial contribution. Dollars get converted into points you use to bid. But you also get points for attending games, reading articles they post on the app, checking in on the app every day, and playing trivia/prediction games during the hockey game. The points for attending games and trivia are huge for increasing fan investment - I both have attended games I wouldn't have if it weren't for the points boost, and gotten way more invested in each game due to the trivia. I find myself studying up on opponents strengths and tendencies before games just to help with both trivia questions and gameday predictions of what will happen.

I think a system where membership in Legend's Society gives you guaranteed access to benefits, along with a point system which gives points for financial contributions along with "participation points" leading to a right to bid on benefits could work. My guess on reasons for resistance is a combination of fear it will reduce overall financial contributions and parochial attitudes of leadership leading to resistance to change in general. I don't think this is a "no-brainer", there's definite challenges - I do have concerns that the challenges will be viewed as insurmountable roadblocks which justify not doing anything new at all.

I put "bid" in quotes because for the Devils, its only partially financial contribution. Dollars get converted into points you use to bid. But you also get points for attending games, reading articles they post on the app, checking in on the app every day, and playing trivia/prediction games during the hockey game. The points for attending games and trivia are huge for increasing fan investment - I both have attended games I wouldn't have if it weren't for the points boost, and gotten way more invested in each game due to the trivia. I find myself studying up on opponents strengths and tendencies before games just to help with both trivia questions and gameday predictions of what will happen.

I think a system where membership in Legend's Society gives you guaranteed access to benefits, along with a point system which gives points for financial contributions along with "participation points" leading to a right to bid on benefits could work. My guess on reasons for resistance is a combination of fear it will reduce overall financial contributions and parochial attitudes of leadership leading to resistance to change in general. I don't think this is a "no-brainer", there's definite challenges - I do have concerns that the challenges will be viewed as insurmountable roadblocks which justify not doing anything new at all.
I may be wrong, but I thought the Cuse tried something with a points system a couple of years ago through their app, but the app was such garbage I don't think it took off or went anywhere.

I love the idea, it just needs to be executed well in order to work.

Been asking for this for years.

Random people get to sit in a box for a game, or be in the area of the tunnel or whatever. or meet some AD type person or something.. Or just get asked about the experience pre-game with a sitdown.

I ended up getting season tickets for the first time because it was comparable to buying the single game tickets for the two home games (Ohio and Miami) I'm attending this year. Like Mark said, I significantly reduced my prices below the Ticketmaster suggestion for my remaining games just hoping they get used. I still haven't sold GT, Stanford or UCONN though even with super low prices and some interest (folks reached out on my Facebook post).

I may be wrong, but I thought the Cuse tried something with a points system a couple of years ago through their app, but the app was such garbage I don't think it took off or went anywhere.

I love the idea, it just needs to be executed well in order to work.

They did it was horrible

They have relaunched the app, it is much better

I strongly suggest deleting the old one and reloading the new one.

It will have the pregame light show on it too as well

I installed the new one.. Reset the PWD and get into the app

But the fan rewards part just crashes with heroku log messages.

I definately agree with this idea. This younger generation is the fans of the future. I'd rather see young people , Especially kids that play on school football teams and minor league football teams get the use of the unused seats. These are the players and fans of the future.

I installed the new one.. Reset the PWD and get into the app

But the fan rewards part just crashes with heroku log messages.

Fan rewards part isn’t up and running yet from what I understand