Ohio Attendance | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Ohio Attendance

Whenever I hear someone around here (Albany/ Saratoga) talk about how they are going to an NFL game I casually mention that my wife and I have season tickets plus parking for Syracuse; $400 total for 6-7 games.

They are always dumbfounded that it's so affordable. I get that it's a different product but for the life of me I don't know how it's not sold out let alone more popular. It's our favorite hobby.

Whenever I hear someone around here (Albany/ Saratoga) talk about how they are going to an NFL game I casually mention that my wife and I have season tickets plus parking for Syracuse; $400 total for 6-7 games.

They are always dumbfounded that it's so affordable. I get that it's a different product but for the life of me I don't know how it's not sold out let alone more popular. It's our favorite hobby.

Because most people don’t realize how cheap it is for seasons and also the quality of football played

Could see the school giving tickets away the last week to elementary and jr high schools. Goes in line with Fran’s message to give back. Also creates a new generation of fans. Remember Fran talking about his first college game watch was Syracuse when he was younger with his teammates. Not going to brake the bank for Syracuse to give away remaining tickets to school kids.

Again the era/time of SU giving away a few thousands + tickets to fill up the Dome is over. If people are waiting for that they are going to be disappointed.

Right or wrong the days of SU doing massive free ticket giveaways are over. With the increased prices for season tickets the last few years, the Athletic Dept doesn't want the backlash from some season ticket holders and doesn't want people thinking SU will just give out tickets if they don't sell enough by a certain timeframe.
You generate more revenue with this approach than the 'give them away to fill it up and hope they come back' approach.

I will say that there are ways to do this - if you want to donate a set number to charitable organizations (Big Brothers, Big Sisters) for each game or yearly, fine. But mass giveaways to get folks in the door isn't the best way to do it.

Again the era/time of SU giving away a few thousands + tickets to fill up the Dome is over. If people are waiting for that they are going to be disappointed.

I think you could argue that some people with in the Syracuse community were spoiled by this and why they don’t buy tickets.

They expect Cuse to give them the tickets for free.

This further emphasizes the point of why they will no longer be giving out free tickets

Roughly ten years ago when I lived in Ballston Spa, I read an article which said the Albany area is the least interested area for college athletics in the entire country. I remember going to Peabody’s and having to argue with people to put the Syracuse game on a TV once, when all the TVs were on NFL games.

College sports is so far out of the average capital region resident’s mind that it wouldn’t even occur to them to go to a game. My guess is half of the people you talk to about Syracuse pricing forget what you told them within five minutes of the conversation - it’s just not ever going to be relevant to them.

I asked my siblings up in Syracuse (two sisters and a brother) if they are going to the Ohio game and they weren't even considering it. It is apathy, they just don't have any excitement about the team. It annoys me because I'd go in a heartbeat if I wasn't 1000 miles away. I want to get my family up there for a visit but it ain't cheap to do so. Hoping I can at least take my son to a SU game in the Dome soon, he has never been there. Want to take him to a college game down here in the Atlanta area but you have to sell a kidney to see UGA play even a creampuff. Yeah, there is GA Tech but I'd rather rake leaves.

I asked my siblings up in Syracuse (two sisters and a brother) if they are going to the Ohio game and they weren't even considering it. It is apathy, they just don't have any excitement about the team. It annoys me because I'd go in a heartbeat if I wasn't 1000 miles away. I want to get my family up there for a visit but it ain't cheap to do so. Hoping I can at least take my son to a SU game in the Dome soon, he has never been there. Want to take him to a college game down here in the Atlanta area but you have to sell a kidney to see UGA play even a creampuff. GA-Tech :vomit:

You’re in luck! Syracuse - Tennessee in Atlanta next year.

I asked my siblings up in Syracuse (two sisters and a brother) if they are going to the Ohio game and they weren't even considering it. It is apathy, they just don't have any excitement about the team. It annoys me because I'd go in a heartbeat if I wasn't 1000 miles away. I want to get my family up there for a visit but it ain't cheap to do so. Hoping I can at least take my son to a SU game in the Dome soon, he has never been there. Want to take him to a college game down here in the Atlanta area but you have to sell a kidney to see UGA play even a creampuff. GA-Tech :vomit:

Don’t forget, Cuse plays in Atlanta next season against Tennessee

Gonna be a massive road trip crowd. Especially if we have a great season this year

I went to the Syracuse-Tennessee game in Knoxville in 2001. I made a comment to my brother when Nunes got hurt that Nunes was terrible so Anderson going in might give us a chance. After the game, Troy came over to the Syracuse section to let his parents know he was OK - his parents were sitting directly in front of me. Honestly his father would have had every right to tell me to shut my piehole during the game, although I'm glad he didn't.

I've learned from that experience to keep any criticisms I have general and not personal when I'm in the Syracuse section for road games.

I asked my siblings up in Syracuse (two sisters and a brother) if they are going to the Ohio game and they weren't even considering it. It is apathy, they just don't have any excitement about the team. It annoys me because I'd go in a heartbeat if I wasn't 1000 miles away. I want to get my family up there for a visit but it ain't cheap to do so. Hoping I can at least take my son to a SU game in the Dome soon, he has never been there. Want to take him to a college game down here in the Atlanta area but you have to sell a kidney to see UGA play even a creampuff. Yeah, there is GA Tech but I'd rather rake leaves.

Your siblings are the exact people I was talking about previously, the area is rampant with them and have been for years and years. It's not even really apathy that keeps them away, it's that they don't even consider going to the game. When you ask people like that if they plan on going to a game they give you a look as if you asked them if their going to take a cross country road trip. It just doesn't occur to them that actually attending in person is even an option.

But its labor day weekend with the State fair how will be people get to Atlanta?
1000000589.jpg

Your siblings are the exact people I was talking about previously, the area is rampant with them and have been for years and years. It's not even really apathy that keeps them away, it's that they don't even consider going to the game. When you ask people like that if they plan on going to a game they give you a look as if you asked them if their going to take a cross country road trip. It just doesn't occur to them that actually attending in person is even an option.
people in general socialize less.

Bars/movies/the mall/sporting events.

The state fair excuse again? Doesn’t that go on for a bit? Can’t people do both if we’re talking about 15 dollar tix to the game?

Starting to not care about people picking a fair over the season opener.
It might not make that much difference if the game started at the hated noon time but 3:30pm pretty well makes the fair or the game, a day choice. Perhaps some Friday or Sunday fair goers will include Saturday’s game for a weekend family fun time.

Any while its an inexact science, if you go on the TM site every few days you can see re-sells appear and dis-appear. Now we have no idea if they are sold or just removed, I would say you can tell that hundreds or more are changing hands. That adds up over time even if its 500 a game thats more than 1% of the dome not getting sold

SU/TM would have those numbers but do they know them as well thru Stubhub/vivid and whatever else sells them?

And for sure we have no idea what the old sell outside the Dome scalping sales were, but those were people walking up and buying anyway not days in advance.

It might not make that much difference if the game started at the hated noon time but 3:30pm pretty well makes the fair or the game a day choice. Perhaps some Friday or Sunday fair goers will include Saturday’s game for a weekend family fun time.

The fair for me is a few hr thing. Go early at 10 and you are done by 1-2, easy time to get to the game. But thats an all day event then as well.

I saw a note that rutgers sold about 23K of season tickets this year. I wonder that equates to our totals?