Ohio Attendance | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Ohio Attendance

I really thought FOMO would kick in.

Anecdotal evidence that SU lost some long time STHers...which hurt. Folks losing great seats, breaking up groups and not able to get paper tix easily all have siphoned off some fans.

Hopefully we go 2-0...Stanford should be a sell out
Tough for FOMO to kick in when you have 4 home games in 29 days. These front loaded schedules remove any sense of urgency for all but the hard core fans.

Your conflating the current state of fairs as if it was 1999 or 2000. Since McNabb graduated in 1998 the program has had slightly more then a handful of years at best where they had true winning seasons an even some of those were ones where SU had to rockfight and scratch to get 6 wins. It's surprising that SU has the fanbase it does at this point when you look at what' its gone through since the 01 season with Freeney.

Look at the NE programs overall, outside of Penn State who is crushing attendance? BC is constantly struggling and below SU, Pitt had a nice turnaround the last few years but they aren't close to selling out Rutgers has played in half empty stadiums save for a handful of game when they inflight attendance numbers and Uconn could play their games at a local HS field and still have room.

Gameday atmosphere works when teams are winning. Even during the Mcnabb era SU wasn't exactly a can't miss atmosphere. The on campus stadium makes room a major issue, the parking situation can be a hot mess, tailgating can be difficult to near impossible if you don't have a parking pass or don't want to hike up to Manley and SU until the last decade or so wasn't exactly rolling out the red carpet for people to trample all over the quad.

Your yearning for an era of the late 80's to late 90s that no longer exists. A large portion of those fans are either no longer in the area or have passed away. SU has shown glimpses of returning to big crowds and if Brown can put together some early wins tickets will move. SU's prices aren't outrageous versus the rest of the country but if you don't have seasons attending an SU game isn't exactly cheap if your looking for decent seats and not just happy getting into the building.

* I'd also note that it doesn't help that SU gets very little attendance from it's alumni in the NE especially NYC*
I remember that sometime in the early 2000’s Danny Sheridan, who had a segment on TV on Saturday mornings reported Syracuse had something bad going on. My words not his. That was around the time of Joe Daily.

Pasqualoni survived until 2004 and that disastrous bowl game and was fired in early January when there were no coaches left to hire. It was a real cluster #=%k. The worst athletic director in Division I sports

Absolutely. College football in the Northeast is entertainment, not religion. People want to spend their entertainment dollars on a winner.
You hit it on the head. Entertainment not religion

In 1998, I truly believe Syracuse University’s football team could have competed against any team in the country. They took the eventual national champs to the wire, defeated the defending national champions on the road, and had the best player in the program since the 50’s and 60’s.

The team hosted Rutgers - a nobody team at the time (and still is) - the week after the Michigan game. The crowd was 42,000.

I say this because that team had buzz nationally, locally, and anywhere you could chat about college football. And the school still couldn’t sell out that game.

Opponent matters in Syracuse. If we were playing Penn State or Clemson week one, it would be a sellout. Ohio could have 35-38K. Unless the marketing and ticket sales team has a complete overhaul, and we have a couple of very good years, I’m not sure what everyone here expects. It is what it is.

In 1998, I truly believe Syracuse University’s football team could have competed against any team in the country. They took the eventual national champs to the wire, defeated the defending national champions on the road, and had the best player in the program since the 50’s and 60’s.

The team hosted Rutgers - a nobody team at the time (and still is) - the week after the Michigan game. The crowd was 42,000.

I say this because that team had buzz nationally, locally, and anywhere you could chat about college football. And the school still couldn’t sell out that game.

Opponent matters in Syracuse. If we were playing Penn State or Clemson week one, it would be a sellout. Ohio could have 35-38K. Unless the marketing and ticket sales team has a complete overhaul, and we have a couple of very good years, I’m not sure what everyone here expects. It is what it is.
I remember that Rutgers game. Didn’t we hang 70 points on them? I remember it being a beautiful day and we stayed outside tailgating a little longer than usual. By the time we were in the dome it was already 21-0 in the first qtr.

two things have also happened in the last 30 yrs.

one. so many more games are on TV. Not just the SU games, but most every other game that matters. people want to see the games that matter .

two. Gambling has blown up. no more knowing a guy or a bar. The casual better makes bets and wants to see the games he bets on.

you commit to a game in person you are missing most of 2 time blocks.

my kid hates the 3ish time block because you miss the noon games all the 330 games and then half the late game getting home. the noon game you miss way less games.

two things have also happened in the last 30 yrs.

one. so many more games are on TV. Not just the SU games, but most every other game that matters. people want to see the games that matter .

two. Gambling has blown up. no more knowing a guy or a bar. The casual better makes bets and wants to see the games he bets on.

you commit to a game in person you are missing most of 2 time blocks.

my kid hates the 3ish time block because you miss the noon games all the 330 games and then half the late game getting home. the noon game you miss way less games.
yup. honestly, the improved wifi needs to be advertised more for the betting reasons. even strong fans want to check out of town scores and bet more during the game. it's also incredibly helpful for families with kids who need to occupy the little ones during down stretches.

I know it's crazy but I'd personally advertise the wifi more.

yup. honestly, the improved wifi needs to be advertised more for the betting reasons. even strong fans want to check out of town scores and bet more during the game. it's also incredibly helpful for families with kids who need to occupy the little ones during down stretches.

I know it's crazy but I'd personally advertise the wifi more.
Maybe the casuals think there is no wifi because the stadium is named after a wireless company and tradition is in play. The old Carrier Dome had no air conditioning :)

Your conflating the current state of fairs as if it was 1999 or 2000. Since McNabb graduated in 1998 the program has had slightly more then a handful of years at best where they had true winning seasons an even some of those were ones where SU had to rockfight and scratch to get 6 wins. It's surprising that SU has the fanbase it does at this point when you look at what' its gone through since the 01 season with Freeney.

Look at the NE programs overall, outside of Penn State who is crushing attendance? BC is constantly struggling and below SU, Pitt had a nice turnaround the last few years but they aren't close to selling out Rutgers has played in half empty stadiums save for a handful of game when they inflight attendance numbers and Uconn could play their games at a local HS field and still have room.

Gameday atmosphere works when teams are winning. Even during the Mcnabb era SU wasn't exactly a can't miss atmosphere. The on campus stadium makes room a major issue, the parking situation can be a hot mess, tailgating can be difficult to near impossible if you don't have a parking pass or don't want to hike up to Manley and SU until the last decade or so wasn't exactly rolling out the red carpet for people to trample all over the quad.

Your yearning for an era of the late 80's to late 90s that no longer exists. A large portion of those fans are either no longer in the area or have passed away. SU has shown glimpses of returning to big crowds and if Brown can put together some early wins tickets will move. SU's prices aren't outrageous versus the rest of the country but if you don't have seasons attending an SU game isn't exactly cheap if your looking for decent seats and not just happy getting into the building.

* I'd also note that it doesn't help that SU gets very little attendance from it's alumni in the NE especially NYC*
While this isn't rosy, this entire post really couldn't be a more accurate assessment of where sufb was and is.

Game day and tailgating atmosphere, while I couldn't be happier with the North Manley family for decades now, most casual fans don't find it very appealing with parking and walking (my kids and I are gym rats, so we are the definite exception) so far to get to the Dome.

And yes, most of the fan base you mention is long gone, most of the big industries and businesses (carrier, GE, electronics parkway etc.), all closed or moved in the 90s. Ppl moved away. And that generation of ppl, who are left, is smaller every year.

Add to that the well known alumni problem (most students are not from the NE, prefer pro sports, don't go to games as students, and never grow much attatchment to a program that has been mediocre at best for decades, and those that did, live far away and rarely come back to games), a lack of local casual interest unless it's an 'event' game, and we are what we are.

We are all bleed orange diehards, but the reality is su is a difficult program to have long running success, for the myriad of logistical/fan reasons we all know and discuss on here ad nauseum. Its why we all get so excited when we think maybe we can have nice things for a while around here.

Can't wait till Ohio.

While this isn't rosy, this entire post really couldn't be a more accurate assessment of where sufb was and is.

Game day and tailgating atmosphere, while I couldn't be happier with the North Manley family for decades now, most casual fans don't find it very appealing with parking and walking (my kids and I are gym rats, so we are the definite exception) so far to get to the Dome.

And yes, most of the fan base you mention is long gone, most of the big industries and businesses (carrier, GE, electronics parkway etc.), all closed or moved in the 90s. Ppl moved away. And that generation of ppl, who are left, is smaller every year.

Add to that the well known alumni problem (most students are not from the NE, prefer pro sports, don't go to games as students, and never grow much attatchment to a program that has been mediocre at best for decades, and those that did, live far away and rarely come back to games), a lack of local casual interest unless it's an 'event' game, and we are what we are.

We are all bleed orange diehards, but the reality is su is a difficult program to have long running success, for the myriad of logistical/fan reasons we all know and discuss on here ad nauseum. Its why we all get so excited when we think maybe we can have nice things for a while around here.

Can't wait till Ohio.
Only thing I disagree with here is the alumni part. Most of the alums are from the NE even with the growing influence of other states.

Fans are spoiled on the parking thing. At most college stadiums on campus you can’t park nearby. Shuttles Or walking are common. It’s even that way at BC and they barely draw anyone. Notable exception is probably UConn but even there I had to walk ten plus minutes and it was longer than a walk from west lots.

Only thing I disagree with here is the alumni part. Most of the alums are from the NE even with the growing influence of other states.

Fans are spoiled on the parking thing. At most college stadiums on campus you can’t park nearby. Shuttles Or walking are common. It’s even that way at BC and they barely draw anyone. Notable exception is probably UConn but even there I had to walk ten plus minutes and it was longer than a walk from west lots.
While I wouldn't venture to guess the exact breakdown of geographical poximity to home for current students, there is a funny anecdote I recall vividly today on kids from far away coming to upstate NY for school. I knew at least a dozen kids when I was a student at SU that were from Cali/west coast. A couple of them actually admitted they chose to go to SU bc they thought it was close to NYC. Can't make this stuff up. I mean, yikes.

Agree with everything you just said, which is why I wish we would be more strategic with scheduling home-and-homes against name brand programs that aren't exceedingly difficult matchups. Nebraska is a perfect example. If we played them in the Dome, it would be a sellout with a ton of local buzz, and we would probably be favored. It's a win-win.

Other examples that come to mind are Auburn, Iowa, West Virginia.

Last edited:
While I wouldn't venture to guess the exact breakdown of geographical poximity to home for current students, there is a funny anecdote I recall vividly today on kids from far away coming to upstate NY for school. I knew at least a dozen kids when I was a student at SU that were from Cali/west coast. A couple of them actually admitted they chose to go to SU bc they thought it was close to NYC. Can't make this stuff up. I mean, yikes.
I chose to go to my college because during my one day trip to see campus I saw more hot girls there than at my trips to the other three choices.

My mom was glad I went there because they gave me a full ride, but that never entered my pea sized brain at the time.

Last edited:
I chose to go to college because in my one day trip to see campus I saw more hot girls there than at my other three choices.

My mom was glad I went there because they gave me a full ride, but that never entered my pea sized brain at the time.
I could have went to SU for free, my mother worked there. Instead, I went to RIT because I felt they had a better Engineering program and I wanted to get away from home (not that Rochester is far away). Luckily, I had a scholarship there that paid for most of my tuition. It worked out well for me but I always wondered how things would have been if I went to SU instead. Would definitely have been better in the hot girl department.

I could have went to SU for free, my mother worked there. Instead, I went to RIT because I felt they had a better Engineering program and I wanted to get away from home (not that Rochester is far away). Luckily, I had a scholarship there that paid for most of my tuition. It worked out well for me but I always wondered how things would have been if I went to SU instead. Would definitely have been better in the hot girl department.
One of my best friends went to RIT and we would visit him a couple times per year. Come to think of it I don't think I ever once interacted with a human female the entire time we ever visited that campus.

One of my best friends went to RIT and we would visit him a couple times per year. Come to think of it I don't think I ever once interacted with a human female the entire time we ever visited that campus.
Yeah, it was like 75% male back then (early 90s). We would go to other schools like SUNY Geneseo on the weekends. Heard that the ratio is better now.

This is all true. And sad. It’s been noted by many here ad naseum, but we go to watch SU play. Not the opponent. Sure big games are fun. But all games are fun. I don’t care if SU is playing the Little Sisters of the Poor - who are 0-8 and lost their starting QB, Sister Mary Francis to a season ending ACL injury and are struggling to put 6 points on the board. I’m going to see my team and cheer them on.

100% agree. The logistics of getting to and from the Dome are just not that difficult at all when compared to other venues nationwide.
Agreed. I haven’t paid to park for a home football game more than 3 or 4 times in 45 years.