Ohio Postgame Discussion... | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Ohio Postgame Discussion...

He was listed as a participant.

yea I saw that. But I don’t remember seeing him at all nor hearing his name mentioned. Maybe special teams?

yea I saw that. But I don’t remember seeing him at all nor hearing his name mentioned. Maybe special teams?

He had no stats.

Could be they returned up the other side from him.

My definition of a deep ball is clearly different than yours.

15 yard slants are not deep throws. Feel free to point out to me where he connected on one that was actually in the air for 25-30 yards.

Did you actually watch the game or are you just reading a box score?
I understand your concern, but we know he has the ability to throw the deep ball. He did it three years ago against North Carolina when we were all screaming for him to replace Dungey. I believe if TD gets his mojo back he will do well.

Goodness. Dino can see what’s happening and think “he’s close to getting it going” let’s see what happens.

Stall is harsh - scoring FGs instead of TD when we knew from the first drive we’d be able to run all day?

mountains outta molehills around here

The first 5 drives of the game the O was responsible for 10 points, the STs 3 points, and the D 2 points. Getting 2 points per drive against Ohio's D isn't an achievement in my book.

one drive we missed a wideopen Td pass. the other stalled because we had a bad blocking penalty and a formation issue.. thats not a QB thing. the long pass was just over thrown.. i dont think the offense really stalled as much as the field got condensed. we could have been Wisc and fumbled it 3 times inside the red zone and lost too.

had the game been so few drives no one would have said much had we scored 25 in the first half with 2 more possessions. My concern was Shrader wants to be the starter and prove it and likely pushes it too hard to make plays in a game we had under control.

shrader only played 4 games last year also.

And how does that prove that they both shouldn't play early in the season, for a team coming off a 1-10 record? This is going to put Tommy under more of a spotlight, not less. It's going to be more pressure on whether he's doing well enough to remain the starter.

What if he puts up the same kind of game as he did against Ohio, but Rutgers lays 35-40 points on us with that offense and wins by a couple touchdowns? How will his 0-4 in the red zone look on Monday morning?

Why not at least see the upside that the other guy might offer? I'm surprised you're looking to die on this hill. There's no controversy about playing running backs other than Sean Tucker.

And how does that prove that they both shouldn't play early in the season, for a team coming off a 1-10 record? This is going to put Tommy under more of a spotlight, not less. It's going to be more pressure on whether he's doing well enough to remain the starter.

What if he puts up the same kind of game as he did against Ohio, but Rutgers lays 35-40 points on us with that offense and wins by a couple touchdowns? How will his 0-4 in the red zone look on Monday morning?

Why not at least see the upside that the other guy might offer? I'm surprised you're looking to die on this hill. There's no controversy about playing running backs other than Sean Tucker.
Devito plays like he did by not turning the ball over Rutgers is going to struggle to get to 24

I’m not dying on any hill. I’m just trusting dino to play who he thinks gives us the best chance to win. If that was lamson I’m cool too. I’m just surprised that forum posters talk like they know what’s best for the team and what dino should have done. Shrader could start next game and I’d be all in. Running backs vs QBs is apples and oranges. Everyone plays multiple RBs for good reasons.

The first 5 drives of the game the O was responsible for 10 points, the STs 3 points, and the D 2 points. Getting 2 points per drive against Ohio's D isn't an achievement in my book.
Coming off a 1 win season, with a revamped OL and something to prove? It was fine.

Any updates about Elmore? Surprised to see him in street clothes in pregame but heard it was eligibility ?

I understand your concern, but we know he has the ability to throw the deep ball. He did it three years ago against North Carolina when we were all screaming for him to replace Dungey. I believe if TD gets his mojo back he will do well.
We all weren’t

I wanted to see Shrader, but if I were Dino I would have done the same. It was touch and go until we iced it in the 4th Quarter and Devito played well. Made good decisions on the RPO, made several nice throws and even made two completions after he was flushed out of the pocket. Had the glaring miss to Taj in the corner of the end zone and was just a foot off .on the deep ball to Taj but overall a solid night. Add to that the very limited possessions we had I just can’t fault that decision.

So much bitching after a 20 point win. Things change. Maybe Dino's intent was to get Shrader more reps, but as the game went along he felt it was better to stick with Tommy. Seven series on offense can change a game plan. Whatever the reason is, I'm fine with it. Cuse got a W. Maybe the reps will be different against Rutgers, maybe they won't. If SU beats RU, frankly, I won't care who got more time behind center. Hell, they can run the wildcat with Ellis back there if it consistently produces wins.

I never asked for Devito to replace Dungey. Just like I wasn’t asking for Shrader to replace Devito. This isn’t about the backup or what the backup is capable of. This is about this game only showing that we have one deep threat, we only went deep a couple of times and missed both. I’m concerned about it. I hope we have more to show against better teams because we will need it.

I never asked for Devito to replace Dungey. Just like I wasn’t asking for Shrader to replace Devito. This isn’t about the backup or what the backup is capable of. This is about this game only showing that we have one deep threat, we only went deep a couple of times and missed both. I’m concerned about it. I hope we have more to show against better teams because we will need it.
A couple attempts is too small a sample size for me to get worked up about it. Plus, SU didn't need it Saturday.

So much bitching after a 20 point win. Things change. Maybe Dino's intent was to get Shrader more reps, but as the game went along he felt it was better to stick with Tommy. Seven series on offense can change a game plan. Whatever the reason is, I'm fine with it. Cuse got a W. Maybe the reps will be different against Rutgers, maybe they won't. If SU beats RU, frankly, I won't care who got more time behind center. Hell, they can run the wildcat with Ellis back there if it consistently produces wins.
Pena at Wildcat. Serious.

If by knees you mean waist, then, ok. Tucker did not tackle that guy at the knees on that penalty. He started at the waist, made contact at the waist and went down to the knees. That was a very poor and head scratching penalty IMO.
I only saw it once TBH but it made sense/seemed accurate at the time. Maybe because he really knocked that guy down.

We all weren’t
Screaming for Devito to replace Dungey was a little extreme. Most of us wanted to see what Devito’s capabilities were after Dungey struggled. After that we believed we had a very capable replacement for Dungey. Hopefully he still is. I personally want to see what Shrader can do.

why does everyone think the currently back up QB should have been put in at this point or that point?
Tommy has not been a consistent QB, Tommy has a history of not playing due to injury, and it would be nice for your coaching staff to look beyond for potentially Tommy not being the guy on any given day.

I agree. I think that is what Dino is doing. We didn’t see much of Howard or Adams. I was beginning to wonder if Adams was still on the team. I respect his decision considering what those player went through last year.
I do not, considering the others on the team all went through the same conditions. Those that sat out made a decision to do so, but they need(needed) to realize there are consequences for that decision. Consequences for them, the success of the team, and their future relationship to the team.

2 pts per drive isn’t very good. But almost 4 per drive is pretty good and better than every other ACC team this weekend except BC (Colgate) and Pitt (UMass).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom