Ok I will try to explain | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Ok I will try to explain

30 minutes seems about right. Goodine should get the other 10. Team did pretty good with him in there yesterday. Also I would like to see Buddy subbed out for defense in late game situations when we have the lead. Buddy is getting too much leeway just because he can shoot. Too many other weaknesses in his game. Could the late game wide open threes we give up be related to this? Probably to some extent.
Defenders can sag off Goodine to double Elijah and Girard. Goodine’s a better defender but he adds nothing to our offense that defenders need to consider.

What I mean is I coached a Varsity High School sport and had 2 sons play for me . You make absolutely sure you don’t give your sons favoritism and in fact I had friends of my sons tell me I was way harder on my own and try to ease up .

I'm assuming when you were coaching varsity high school and had two sons play for you, you weren't of the age to be their grandpa. So, perhaps that's why JB treats his boy as he does...like all grandpas treat their grandsons differently. ;):)

I'd love to see us run "Computer Blue" on offensive in-bounds & maybe sprinkle in some "Darling Nikki" in the halfcourt set.

*Darling pikki

Even though we are the Orange, I don’t think we need to be setting fruity picks.

*Darling pikki

Even though we are the Orange, I don’t think we need to be setting fruity picks.
I mean that was one of the better sketches of all time. In your face Charlie Murphy!

Buddy was 5th in the COUNTRY in 3pt shooting percentage coming into the game.

It is easier to rip a kid in a presser whose mother live in Canada than one whose mother lives a little bit closer...

That said it works in reverse Buddy is NOT getting mom to tweet about the coach during the game. I sure the family has set boundaries between Basketball and family... they would have to.
Last week buddy was 5th in thr country in 3P made and 10th in attempts in the country
Can these two coexist? Was he really 5th in 3 point percentage? I had only read he was fifth in makes. He's 31st in percentage now. Did he really drop 25 spots after one game with the numbet of attempts he's had over the course of the year? That seems unlikely.

Honest question, why do you want to hear Jim say that Buddy played bad?

Coaches almost never call out players for missing jump shots, they understand that sometimes the shots fall and sometimes they don't.

You generally get called out for not following a game plan (for instance if a player shoots a shot they are not suppose to take) or if your effort is not high enough.

If Buddy is shooting the kinds of shots we want him to take and is giving his all on D (which seems like the case to me), then no coach on earth would call him out for having a bad game.
I think people want to hear it because JB has called out other players by name. It doesn't have to be about his shooting, and shouldn't be. He has made a number of dumb passes the last couple games that led to turnovers and plays suspect defense. For a million other players, those things got them a JB tongue lashing on tv and a call out during a press conference.

Can these two coexist? Was he really 5th in 3 point percentage? I had only read he was fifth in makes. He's 31st in percentage now. Did he really drop 25 spots after one game with the numbet of attempts he's had over the course of the year? That seems unlikely.

I had the stat wrong...but 31st in the country after going 0-5 is nothing to sneeze at.

His efficiency is key to our offense and therefore it will be game planned against.

He goes on stretches of 3 or 4 3s in a row and gets a couple of 2s in there. It changes the dynamic of the game.

Teams will always try to take away the most efficient scores on the team. Buddy is top 2 on our team which is the only thing that really matters.

I had the stat wrong...but 31st in the country after going 0-5 is nothing to sneeze at.

His efficiency is key to our offense and therefore it will be game planned against.

He goes on stretches of 3 or 4 3s in a row and gets a couple of 2s in there. It changes the dynamic of the game.

Teams will always try to take away the most efficient scores on the team. Buddy is top 2 on our team which is the only thing that really matters.

Absolutely. I think JB needs to be careful to not always expect him to get hot. Someone pointed out we had cut the lead from 11 to 4 at one point when he was on the bench and then that momentum stopped when he was put back in. Sometimes we need to ride what's working instead of falling back to pregame plans that haven't been working in a given game.

I think people want to hear it because JB has called out other players by name. It doesn't have to be about his shooting, and shouldn't be. He has made a number of dumb passes the last couple games that led to turnovers and plays suspect defense. For a million other players, those things got them a JB tongue lashing on tv and a call out during a press conference.
Doesn't he usually call out players when they don't do what he thinks they CAN do? I'm not sure Buddy can play much better, at this stage.

Absolutely. I think JB needs to be careful to not always expect him to get hot. Someone pointed out we had cut the lead from 11 to 4 at one point when he was on the bench and then that momentum stopped when he was put back in. Sometimes we need to ride what's working instead of falling back to pregame plans that haven't been working in a given game.
Goodine screwed up a layout by turning it into a fade any jump shot which he missed...if he had drove the ball aggressively he would have been on the line at the very lease.

It's not like Washington when he is in the game because Washington is playing on the ball on offense, Goodine was off the ball which means he won't be guarded.

When Washington is off the ball nobody guards him either, Joe was playing the PG and teams will force Goodine to beat especially after screwing a layup.

Buddy needs to develop a step back to create space.

Just another point of view, but has anyone considered that teams have finally figured out that BB can shoot the ball? Serious question.

I used to coach hoops. If I knew a team had a hot handed shooter, I would run a kids for a minute or two, have the kid stick to him like glue and make the opponent beat us 4 on 4. I would rotate kids in and out so there was always fresh legs on the shooter and he was run down.

With Elijah injured and generally going to score 20 either way, why try to knock him out. He has a complete game.

With JG3 playing the point and not shooting as well as he did in HS, why fret over him as much.

That leaves Buddy, shut him down and force the others to win the game without his points. Buddy's game is nowhere near the completeness level of Hughes. While I have enjoyed watching Buddy drive a few times, or dribble in, stop and take the 15 footer, a wrinkle in his game, he still cannot take any defender, drive to the rim, etc. like Hughes. Buddy realized this last year and developed the above moves instead of shooting from beyond the arch and being one-dimensional. I credit him for improving himself.

The net take away is that if you can shut down one shooter, and you have the team to do it, why not give it a try. Sure, Buddy may be in a slump, slums happen to every player in every sport. The only way to get through a slump is to play through a slump.

As to the OP: JB does handle players differently and always has. We can choose to believe JB treats Buddy favorably or we can trust JB to develop his team.

For the record, this is a formidable team next season. More so if Hughes stays.

Buddy is a good player with considerable limitations. That is better than what our other options are. I think Goodine should be getting some minutes but how can we blame JB for playing Buddy heavy minutes? He was probably thinking Jesus, Buddy has to hit a couple of shots, right?

This explains my position.

Goodine screwed up a layout by turning it into a fade any jump shot which he missed...if he had drove the ball aggressively he would have been on the line at the very lease.

It's not like Washington when he is in the game because Washington is playing on the ball on offense, Goodine was off the ball which means he won't be guarded.

When Washington is off the ball nobody guards him either, Joe was playing the PG and teams will force Goodine to beat especially after screwing a layup.

The interaction with players not on his own team at practice, whilst near the rim probably confused him. :) They probably reacted differently, and that just through the whole thing off. With Sid, that move works every time!

JB is a hall of famer because he has been coaching for 40+ years. I don't wear orange color glass so I can see a lot many flaws with JBs philosophy. If he was knocking out championships like coach K then I would be glossing over his short comings.
JB is stuck in his old style of coaching without adapting to game situations. He never adjust anymore then pace of the offense or moving the zone further out, that is the only changed. For him to allow other teams offensive possessions to roll the ball to half court without taking time off the clock is insane. I watch a lot of games and I have not seen one team allow this to happen more then 2 possessions in a row. Yet JB NEVER explains the advantage this has on the team. His response is always "we are a bad rebounding team" or "Our defense is not good". Well, to me thst just means bad coaching. So in reality a loss is a loss. In my opinion his answers are just BS.
I'm ready to turn the chapter of the JB era. Thanks for the "1" championships out of your 1100 wins.

Honest question, why do you want to hear Jim say that Buddy played bad?

Coaches almost never call out players for missing jump shots, they understand that sometimes the shots fall and sometimes they don't.

You generally get called out for not following a game plan (for instance if a player shoots a shot they are not suppose to take) or if your effort is not high enough.

If Buddy is shooting the kinds of shots we want him to take and is giving his all on D (which seems like the case to me), then no coach on earth would call him out for having a bad game.

I know it's a lot to do with being tired, but they really don't call him out for anything.

Watch Goodine get back on breaks - then watch Buddy. As far as effort on D, I don't know, he's so slow defensively I can't even tell if the effort is there - it does lack on transition D as he tends to loaf it a lot. Which is likely because he's tired.

Doesn't he usually call out players when they don't do what he thinks they CAN do? I'm not sure Buddy can play much better, at this stage.
Buddy can't avoid lazy bounce passes intended to go 5 feet to a teammate that are instead intercepted by the other team?

So did Goodine come out because of that one play? With Buddy not shooting it well was Goodine a better trade off because of his defense? There has to be some reason we were closing the gap without Buddy in there. Maybe we just happened to have a good flow at the time. I'm not saying bench Buddy forever, I'm saying don't screw with something that seems to be working to go back to something that wasn't.

JB is a hall of famer because he has been coaching for 40+ years. I don't wear orange color glass so I can see a lot many flaws with JBs philosophy. If he was knocking out championships like coach K then I would be glossing over his short comings.
JB is stuck in his old style of coaching without adapting to game situations. He never adjust anymore then pace of the offense or moving the zone further out, that is the only changed. For him to allow other teams offensive possessions to roll the ball to half court without taking time off the clock is insane. I watch a lot of games and I have not seen one team allow this to happen more then 2 possessions in a row. Yet JB NEVER explains the advantage this has on the team. His response is always "we are a bad rebounding team" or "Our defense is not good". Well, to me thst just means bad coaching. So in reality a loss is a loss. In my opinion his answers are just BS.
I'm ready to turn the chapter of the JB era. Thanks for the "1" championships out of your 1100 wins.

lol. Ridiculous. JB is a hall of famer because he has WON for 40+ years. And you don’t last for 40+ years unless you win.

Find me 10 schools that have had a better run than Syracuse since Boeheim started coaching.

Same people piling into Buddy were all over JG3 a week ago.

But this is a forum where we all are here to be know it alls and voice our opinions for what we’d do if we were coach. Any option that doesn’t have Buddy playing 35 mins/game until spring 2022 has zero chance of happening in reality right or wrong.

So did Goodine come out because of that one play? With Buddy not shooting it well was Goodine a better trade off because of his defense? There has to be some reason we were closing the gap without Buddy in there. Maybe we just happened to have a good flow at the time. I'm not saying bench Buddy forever, I'm saying don't screw with something that seems to be working to go back to something that wasn't.
Yes. When the play is that noticeable, because any coach worth their salt is going to force that kid to shoot.

Goodine is a good defender but he is not solving our defensive woes by himself.

The were running Sidibe's man at Buddy on the drive, that is the level of respect they were showing him (I think with Hughes a game time decision the game plan was to focus on Buddy)

When we ISO Hughes Buddy and Joe need to be on the floor or he is going to get doubled.

Buddy can't avoid lazy bounce passes intended to go 5 feet to a teammate that are instead intercepted by the other team?
If you're referring to NC State, they weren't lazy. He was stranded and not athletic enough to get out of it. I didn't see the whole FSU game. Didn't see any lazy passes in the past I saw.

lol. Ridiculous. JB is a hall of famer because he has WON for 40+ years. And you don’t last for 40+ years unless you win.

Find me 10 schools that have had a better run than Syracuse since Boeheim started coaching.
I can name several coaches who have coached much less time with multiple championships.
....You can stop bowing now.