Ok I will try to explain | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Ok I will try to explain

I can name several coaches who have coached much less time with multiple championships.
...You can stop bowing now.

Several. Wow. There’s a lot of schools out there you know. A lot more than “several”.

So did Goodine come out because of that one play? With Buddy not shooting it well was Goodine a better trade off because of his defense? There has to be some reason we were closing the gap without Buddy in there. Maybe we just happened to have a good flow at the time. I'm not saying bench Buddy forever, I'm saying don't screw with something that seems to be working to go back to something that wasn't.
No. Goodine played another 3 minutes after missing that shot, about 6 more possessions up and down the court, I think.

And although we did close the gap when Brycen was in the game, we also immediately ripped off a 7-0 run right after Buddy replaced Brycen. It's not like inserting Buddy back into the game had an immediate negative effect or anything like that.

And although we did close the gap when Brycen was in the game, we also immediately ripped off a 7-0 run right after Buddy replaced Brycen.
sounds to me like we should sit buddy more often. get that lift off the bench.

Several. Wow. There’s a lot of schools out there you know. A lot more than “several”.
Sorry about the typo, but shows you have no rebuttal. I get you have "God" like admiration for JB.

Sorry about the typo, but shows you have no rebuttal. I get you have "God" like admiration for JB.

I didn’t notice/care about a typo so I don’t know what you’re talking about. Boeheim is one of the better college hoops coaches of all time.

Sorry you couldn’t answer my question.

He's far from perfect, but we're smart enough to give him credit for being one of the best all time coaches.

Yup. And there’s not ONE coach out there who hasn’t been legitimately criticized. It’s the nature of doing a job where the opponent is often very good at what they do and trying really hard too.

He's far from perfect, but we're smart enough to give him credit for being one of the best all time coaches.
I agree...never said he wasn't one of the best all time coaches. Just stating that in my opinion he makes a lot of excuse outside of his coaching flaws.

I agree...never said he wasn't one of the best all time coaches. Just stating that in my opinion he makes a lot of excuse outside of his coaching flaws.

He’s admittedly thin-skinned and sensitive. Who really cares though? He’s a great coach that’s doing his best. Some of you “gotcha!” weirdos who only show up to bitch when things are bad are the ones who should probably explain yourselves.

He’s admittedly thin-skinned and sensitive. Who really cares though? He’s a great coach that’s doing his best. Some of you “gotcha!” weirdos who only show up to bitch when things are bad are the ones who should probably explain yourselves.
Ok, this weirdo thinks his best is not cutting it anymore. I hope that explanation is good enough for you.

sounds to me like we should sit buddy more often. get that lift off the bench.
I have no problem at all with Goodine getting minutes in each half, especially if Buddy is struggling. If I was coaching, I would probably play more guys than JB does.

I also had no problem whatsoever with JB going back to Buddy with about 8 minutes left in the game.

So about the only positive I've seen about Buddy's recent play is defenders are shading him and possibly opening up the offense for others.

Is that worth the bad defense, horrible shooting, fast breaks killed, fast breaks given, no rebounding?

I fully understand he has earned and deserves to start and get most minutes. But when he knuckleheads 10 straight possessions, he needs to come tf out of the game for a bit. If not just to get his junk together, then to get him some rest, get another guy some PT, experience and confidence. Everyone bashing BG about 1 awkward shot... How is he supposed to have any confidence on a short leash behind a guy that regularly goes through 15 minute stretches of not looking like a P5 player?

People just want accountability on the part of JB. I don't think anyone wants any one of the players to get ripped but let's address the elephant in your upstairs bedroom. Explain what you're seeing when you leave him in when he is an obvious (temporary) detriment to the team. Especially when he's so quick to lash out at others. I get people respond different to different methods, I've held several leadership roles. I can't believe QG "likes" being bashed publicly. Kid has worked hard to become a major contributor and would probably respond much better to positive reinforcement. Criticism belongs behind closed doors.

JB is a hall of famer because he has been coaching for 40+ years. I don't wear orange color glass so I can see a lot many flaws with JBs philosophy. If he was knocking out championships like coach K then I would be glossing over his short comings.
JB is stuck in his old style of coaching without adapting to game situations. He never adjust anymore then pace of the offense or moving the zone further out, that is the only changed. For him to allow other teams offensive possessions to roll the ball to half court without taking time off the clock is insane. I watch a lot of games and I have not seen one team allow this to happen more then 2 possessions in a row. Yet JB NEVER explains the advantage this has on the team. His response is always "we are a bad rebounding team" or "Our defense is not good". Well, to me thst just means bad coaching. So in reality a loss is a loss. In my opinion his answers are just BS.
I'm ready to turn the chapter of the JB era. Thanks for the "1" championships out of your 1100 wins.

Your signature problem with JB is his allowing other teams to roll the ball to take a couple of seconds off the clock?

No, that is only one of the issues. I just pointed that out because SU lost a a few games where I feel that giving the opponent extra time contributed to the loss. When I watch a Duke game vs an SU game I see many difference on coaching styles. When Coach K took over as team USA coach he was smart enough to hire is good friend JB as an assistant. As JB was teaching the team the 2-3 zone (which they used quite often against the international players) coach K added that defense to his repertoire. K uses many defenses throughout a game to change flow, confuse the opponent, protect players from foul issues, etc... This is something that JB will not do. Not saying he can't, just won't. He will not adapt his style to the players he has on the floor. That is just who he is and to be honest, a lot of fans give him a pass because he is a HOF'er. I played golf with ex Purdue coach Gene Keady last year and he pointed out that college players today are so much better shooters than in the 80s-90s. I thought he made a good point about how the zone, when executed properly, is very effective until the opponent shooters start hitting outside shots which really opens the lane because of the need to expand the zone. It would be nice if JB could throw a different look so the opponent had to make adjustments also. What we fans usually hear in the post game interviews from JB is that "Our defense is not very good", "We are just not hitting shots", "We scored enough to win", etc... Just once I would like to hear him say that "We did a bad coaching job today". However, we all know that JB is not one for change. It is what it is. I will always be an SU fan but have no problem with pointing what I see as issues with the team.

Last edited:
I fully understand (Buddy) has earned and deserves to start and get most minutes. But when he knuckleheads 10 straight possessions, he needs to come tf out of the game for a bit. If not just to get his junk together, then to get him some rest, get another guy some PT, experience and confidence.
Isn't this exactly what happened on Saturday, though? Buddy was bad, Goodine came in and played fine, and then Buddy checked back in and was better down the stretch?

Isn't this exactly what happened on Saturday, though? Buddy was bad, Goodine came in and played fine, and then Buddy checked back in and was better down the stretch?
Goodine played 7 minutes and put up zeros across the stat line other than his 3 fouls. He played fine?

Goodine played 7 minutes and put up zeros across the stat line other than his 3 fouls. He played fine?
I mean, he didn't hurt us... and the team played well when he was out there. He was fine as far as I was concerned (which is a notch below "good" in my book). Anybody on these boards ever tell your wife/girl friend that she "looks fine" before a night on the town?

I don't really think it's reasonable at this point in the season to expect him to score 6 points, grab 3 boards and dish out 2 assists when he enters the game (although I'd be ecstatic if he did).

Nice. Zero contribution and gets a +8. 3 more minutes and he fouls out.

Did he play defense during that time? I dont think you mean zero contribution. He did have same amount of points as buddy. Your stat line argument is rather unavailing considering buddy’s stat line is horrific. The most Influential stat for either is the +/-, which favors brycen. To be clear, im not advocating for the opposite side of your argument, just pointing out thw rather obvious flaws in your proof.

If you're referring to NC State, they weren't lazy. He was stranded and not athletic enough to get out of it. I didn't see the whole FSU game. Didn't see any lazy passes in the past I saw.
There was a play in the FSU game that was an attempted bounce pass to, I believe, JG3 who was about 5 ft away. It was soft and lazy and was easily intercepted and started a break.

I haven’t been able to read the whole thread but got the gist on the first page that people think Buddy gets special treatment from dad. Due to the ACCN I have seen only a couple games this year so I don’t know if this is true or not, but I would offer this litmus test:

Does Buddy get different treatment than Cooney did? JB treats shooters very differently than centers, even those who are not his kid. I don’t recall JB ever being critical of Cooney because he understands shooters have slumps and it is not effort based. If you can say he treats Buddy better than he did Cooney then there is a nepotism argument but honestly it would be hard to treat a player better than he treated Cooney.

Defenders can sag off Goodine to double Elijah and Girard. Goodine’s a better defender but he adds nothing to our offense that defenders need to consider.
Goodine can shoot and drive. He is a better defender and ball handler. He has a higher ceiling than Buddy who is one dimensional. Goodine need 10 minutes a game minimum.

Buddy didnt play well the first half of last year. I will say if Goodine got as much court time as Buddy did last season the kid would be playing much better. Anyone who has played will tell you that there is no substitute for real quality game minutes.