Ok I will try to explain | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Ok I will try to explain

Goodine can shoot and drive. He is a better defender and ball handler. He has a higher ceiling than Buddy who is one dimensional. Goodine need 10 minutes a game minimum.
I bet he can, but he’s rarely doing either in the minutes he gets. Buddy scores double figures 98% of our games. Goodine’s gotta earn his minutes

+\- can be quite a misleading stat.

Buddy has won games because he’s knocked down a bunch of shots because he’s a very good shooter.

Buddy has also struggled at times when the shot isn’t falling.

Goodine has not played much, doesn’t possess the same shooting ability as either of the starting guards, but has shown he’s capable of disruption on d and rebounding. I’m fine with him seeing some minutes pending score, time, what starter is off.

All of this things can be true.

+\- can be quite a misleading stat.

Buddy has won games because he’s knocked down a bunch of shots because he’s a very good shooter.

Buddy has also struggled at times when the shot isn’t falling.

Goodine has not played much, doesn’t possess the same shooting ability as either of the starting guards, but has shown he’s capable of disruption on d and rebounding. I’m fine with him seeing some minutes pending score, time, what starter is off.

All of this things can be true.

He's one of the top scorers in the ACC!

Can we add a "But Buddy scores a lot" quick reply button to go with the Like/Quote/Reply button? I think it would help a lot in these threads!

Buddy shoots a lot too. He has the lowest (slightly less than average) PER among the six main players and among the main 6, he scores the fewest points per FGA - mainly because he rarely goes to the free throw line. Despite the improved offense overall, Syracuse still plays a pretty slow tempo - which means a team needs to be as efficient as possible.

But whatevs, nothing is going to change, he's a great shooter and that greenlight is never going to change.

I haven’t been able to read the whole thread but got the gist on the first page that people think Buddy gets special treatment from dad. Due to the ACCN I have seen only a couple games this year so I don’t know if this is true or not, but I would offer this litmus test:

Does Buddy get different treatment than Cooney did? JB treats shooters very differently than centers, even those who are not his kid. I don’t recall JB ever being critical of Cooney because he understands shooters have slumps and it is not effort based. If you can say he treats Buddy better than he did Cooney then there is a nepotism argument but honestly it would be hard to treat a player better than he treated Cooney.
The Cooney/Buddy comparison isn't accurate. Cooney did things Buddy doesn't. He was a better defender.

The Coon Dog running in circles desperately seeking the launch. Miss his hustle and energy.

I could be wrong but I remember lots of complaints about Cooney's defense prior to his senior year.

Also Buddy has a better mid range game than Cooney ever developed.

I think that argument was more about the defensive output not being enough to make up for having such a goofy SG running in circles all game on the offensive end. :)

In terms of the original post on this thread. I mean isn’t that kind of obvious that he was free for instance Sibide than Eli Hughes And I would think that every coach at this level does the same thing in terms of individual coaching and finding ways how to get the best out of each guy based on her personality, pressure whatever

The Cooney/Buddy comparison isn't accurate. Cooney did things Buddy doesn't. He was a better defender.

I would advise not to get too into the details of every aspect of their games. JB treats shooters a certain way and centers a certain way. He treats scorers a different was again. Jonny Flynn and Devo weren’t super interested in defense but they never got yelled at like somebody such as Roberson did. Andy Rautins, Cooney, Gerry, I don’t recall them ever being chastised or having their minutes limited due to slumps or missing shots.

I think JB wants you to prove yourself capable as a shooter at the beginning, but once you do, he sticks with you because he knows slumps happen. I think of Southerland and Nichols as guys who lost minutes early in their career because they didn’t prove themselves as capable shooters right away (barring Southerlands crazy 5-5 in an exhibition game) but once they got established JB never took minutes from them or yelled at them for missing.

I would advise not to get too into the details of every aspect of their games. JB treats shooters a certain way and centers a certain way. He treats scorers a different was again. Jonny Flynn and Devo weren’t super interested in defense but they never got yelled at like somebody such as Roberson did. Andy Rautins, Cooney, Gerry, I don’t recall them ever being chastised or having their minutes limited due to slumps or missing shots.

I think JB wants you to prove yourself capable as a shooter at the beginning, but once you do, he sticks with you because he knows slumps happen. I think of Southerland and Nichols as guys who lost minutes early in their career because they didn’t prove themselves as capable shooters right away (barring Southerlands crazy 5-5 in an exhibition game) but once they got established JB never took minutes from them or yelled at them for missing.
Why are you caught up on whether he's yelling at them for missing. I , and I don't think anyone else, am not saying he should yell at Buddy for missing or taking shots. It has to do with other mistakes being made like stupid turnovers or getting far fewer rebounds than our point guard who is 6 inches shorter.

Many of the guys you mentioned were more than just shooters. Flynn and Devo were ball handlers against pressure and were able to manufacture scoring when shots weren't falling. Gerry consistently carried a huge load of scoring and ball handling. Rautins was a good passer and played some of the best defense anyone has at the top of the zone.

People aren't calling for Buddy to be benched for taking or missing shots, or even to benched at all. But when he has a stupid mistake or fails to hussle, seeing him get the eye from JB just like any other player would be appropriate. Or if he's having an off game, it wouldn't be the end of the world for him to get fewer minutes. Then let him play 40 if he's hot the next game.

Why are you caught up on whether he's yelling at them for missing. I , and I don't think anyone else, am not saying he should yell at Buddy for missing or taking shots. It has to do with other mistakes being made like stupid turnovers or getting far fewer rebounds than our point guard who is 6 inches shorter.

Many of the guys you mentioned were more than just shooters. Flynn and Devo were ball handlers against pressure and were able to manufacture scoring when shots weren't falling. Gerry consistently carried a huge load of scoring and ball handling. Rautins was a good passer and played some of the best defense anyone has at the top of the zone.

People aren't calling for Buddy to be benched for taking or missing shots, or even to benched at all. But when he has a stupid mistake or fails to hussle, seeing him get the eye from JB just like any other player would be appropriate. Or if he's having an off game, it wouldn't be the end of the world for him to get fewer minutes. Then let him play 40 if he's hot the next game.

Im not caught up on it. As I understand it, the question is of Buddy getting special treatment because he is the coach’s son. Treatment meaning: how does the coach interact with him in real time during games, refer to him in press conferences, etc and how are his minutes handled. So I pointed out that JB has historically treated players of different types/roles in different ways. I specifically mentioned three categories: shooters, scorers, centers.From my limited viewing this year, it seems JB has given Buddy fairly middle of the road shooter/scorer treatment. I think we can agree that he fits both roles. So that’s really it. It’s just data.

Im not caught up on it. As I understand it, the question is of Buddy getting special treatment because he is the coach’s son. Treatment meaning: how does the coach interact with him in real time during games, refer to him in press conferences, etc and how are his minutes handled. So I pointed out that JB has historically treated players of different types/roles in different ways. I specifically mentioned three categories: shooters, scorers, centers.From my limited viewing this year, it seems JB has given Buddy fairly middle of the road shooter/scorer treatment. I think we can agree that he fits both roles. So that’s really it. It’s just data.
You specifically mentioned his treatment with regards to Buddy shooting well or not shooting well. Amongst the people that I've seen be critical of Buddy's treatment, not one has mentioned it with regards to shooting. You moved the goalposts of the discussion.

You specifically mentioned his treatment with regards to Buddy shooting well or not shooting well. Amongst the people that I've seen be critical of Buddy's treatment, not one has mentioned it with regards to shooting. You moved the goalposts of the discussion.

ok

He's one of the top scorers in the ACC!

Can we add a "But Buddy scores a lot" quick reply button to go with the Like/Quote/Reply button? I think it would help a lot in these threads!

I just wish he could play defense. Let's see if he can pull at Routins Jr and Sr year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom