@Oklahoma | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

@Oklahoma

You're an idiot if you don't think 20-25k alumni turn out for this game...

I was at the Wisky and Tenn Game at the meadowlands we had 50K total in attendance both games, no way in hell there were 25K NYC alumni there. So watch who u are calling an idiot.

If Dr. Gross signs us up for the @ss kicking in Norman next year he BETTER get a game in the Dome. I am not a CNY local or have any connection other than SU to the community but if TGD "sells" out our home fanbase for another game in Metlife I will not renew my 4 season ticket I have for football. I don't make it to many games and end up giving away my tickets, but TGD BETTER NOT sellout an Oklahoma game. I am okay with USC because of the payday but NO MORE other than Notre Dame.

Won't say that Okie is going to the Meadowlands, but we have committed to 14 games there and we won't be playing Buffalo there. So yea, all the big home games like and Okie will be going there.

I was at the Wisky and Tenn Game at the meadowlands we had 50K total in attendance both games, no way in hell there were 25K NYC alumni there. So watch who u are calling an idiot.
You do realize the SU alumni base has picked up significantly in the NYC area since then right? Not to mention the fact that USC will be the #1 team in the country.

You do realize the SU alumni base has picked up significantly in the NYC area since then right? Not to mention the fact that USC will be the #1 team in the country.

Yes I do realize that but that doesnt mean there going to send 25K alumni to this game, especially in the beginning of september when people are still traveling and squeezing in vacations. The attendance will likely be 50-55,000 like it normally is for these types of games. 35K SU fans, 10-12 USC fans and the rest local Cfball fans

Last time we played USC at the Meadowlands almost 58k were at the game.

That was in 1990, our attendance for the last two games:
51,185 Syracuse 34 Wisconsin 0
41,517 Georgia Tech 13 Syracuse 7

Thats right 41,000 for Ga Tech, now obviously I expect a lot more then that this year but I think its clear theres no huge alumni turnout for fball in NYC never has been.

And 25K weren't NYC SU alumni nor will there be that many vs. USC. We have great alumni support in NYC but not to the 25K degree. There will be a lot of folks traveling from the Syracuse area. There will be SU fans from around other NE states traveling there. There are many SU fans in the NYC area that aren't alumni that will be there.

some of thes glamour schools were never going to go to SU to play

The USC game was originally scheduled for the Dome. Oklahoma just agreed to play AT UTEP. Saying elite teams won't play at the Dome is bullcrap.

I'm going to just keep posting this until someone can explain how and when SU is going to play Oklahoma. Look at SU's open weeks before you answer.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/021512aaa.html

oklahomaq.png

This is idiotic if true I mean idiotic is beign nice this would be one of the dumbest decisions ever made on the Hill in regard to scheduling.

Eh, I dunno. I loved playing Oklahoma before. Even if it's a loss, it's more in keeping with our standing to play national teams. I hate the BS crap teams we've played the past several seasons. So what if we take a loss ? If we can get a return game at the Dome, it will certainly be worth it, even if we only wind up with 5 home games next year because Doc Gross gave one away to NYC.

The USC game was originally scheduled for the Dome. Oklahoma just agreed to play AT UTEP. Saying elite teams won't play at the Dome is bullcrap.

They already played at the Dome. Why wouldn't they do it again ?

They played at the Dome 18 years ago. They won't come back if the payday isn't worth it.

If Dr. Gross signs us up for the @ss kicking in Norman next year he BETTER get a game in the Dome. I am not a CNY local or have any connection other than SU to the community but if TGD "sells" out our home fanbase for another game in Metlife I will not renew my 4 season ticket I have for football. I don't make it to many games and end up giving away my tickets, but TGD BETTER NOT sellout an Oklahoma game. I am okay with USC because of the payday but NO MORE other than Notre Dame.

It's like he forgot that he actually needs to sell tickets here in CNY, not at Giants Stadium or Yankee Stadium. Getting some exposure in a national game like a Kick Off Classic is one thing; but you diminish our standing in college football to give away home games against ALL of the elite teams that we play.

They played at the Dome 18 years ago. They won't come back if the payday isn't worth it.

It's not just the payday. It's also eastern exposure for their recruiting.

BTW, it's hard to believe it was that long ago. Seems like yesterday.

You're an idiot if you don't think 20-25k alumni turn out for this game...

Edit: Name calling is going to cease here.

WHOA! Are you serious? Do you live down state by chance?

Let me tell you as someone who has literally been on the frontline for SU in the tri-state region regarding alumni/donor outreach, the football program is still seen as a joke and one the average alum wants nothing to do with. People who post on this board and are diehards are in the minority. Most alums laugh when I bring up the program in any capacity.

I'd be shocked if SU has many more than 10-12K butts in the seats for USC.

It's not just the payday. It's also eastern exposure for their recruiting.

They're Oklahoma, not sure the CBA pipeline is worth it...but more importantly, yeah, 18 years. Yeesh, getting old. :(

I actually love the fact that we are playing Oklahoma. It shows out of the box thinking. If we want to beat the big boys we have to play with them from time to time. It makes sense. Gross has vision and anybody can appreciate that.

I'd be shocked if SU has many more than 10-12K butts in the seats for USC.

There were quite a bit more than that for the Pinstripe Bowl. And by quite a bit more, I mean at least 2x that.

I'm going to just keep posting this until someone can explain how and when SU is going to play Oklahoma. Look at SU's open weeks before you answer.
it would be played on Sept 29th...very little question about that

it would be played on Sept 29th...very little question about that

A) They're going to pay to cancel UTEP or FAMU leaving themselves with two bye weeks in the first four weeks of the season and then have to play eleven weeks in a row and give SU a home game in the future.
B) They'll just stick with what they've already announced to all their fans.

Which do you think is more likely?

That was in 1990, our attendance for the last two games:
51,185 Syracuse 34 Wisconsin 0
41,517 Georgia Tech 13 Syracuse 7

Thats right 41,000 for Ga Tech, now obviously I expect a lot more then that this year but I think its clear theres no huge alumni turnout for fball in NYC never has been.
Yes, but I was talking about USC. Bees made your point on this one. I guess I was grouping SU fans in NYC generally there, and was just continuing off of what Scooch said. I'd still say there will be at least 50k there for the game.

LOL 20-25K in NYC alumni at USC? You are joking right, will be lucky to get that many total.

Well I was speaking broadly, I really meant 20-25K SU fans. Maybe half of that would be actual tri-state alums. Rest would be CNYers down for the game, and fans from New England and Philly/DC corridor. Although make no mistake, there WILL be that many SU fans there. Maybe more.

Anyway, getting hung up on that # is really not the point. The point is that SU is getting paid a handsome appearance fee to play there. I assume we'll get a cut of the total gate as well. Couple that with the fact that I imagine Cantor & Gross will use it as a means to wine & dine deep-pocketed potential donors, then that's all part of the rationale for having a game there.

Look, I told you I sympathize with CNYers who are pissed about marquee games being moved out of the Dome. I'm not as quick to dismiss the notion that some teams would "never" come to Syracuse, although I do suspect some won't (of course some always won't, that's not a new phenomena). But this is a delicate balancing act that Gross & Cantor are trying to pull off. SU simply does not have the financial resources to compete with most other BCS programs. Joining the ACC will help. Apparently they feel having games in NYC will help. Others have made the most relevant point, if the Dome was full every Saturday then this wouldn't need to be a consideration. But it's not. I'm not blaming anyone for that, but the fact is that's its not. So they gotta make the best of a difficult situation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom