Class of 2018 - OLB Ja'qurius (Jack) Smith (FL) Decommitted from Syracuse/To Purdue | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 OLB Ja'qurius (Jack) Smith (FL) Decommitted from Syracuse/To Purdue

Lewis was there on 12/8. That could have been an evaluation visit where they are checking out academics with his coach. But if his academics were an issue I would think his HS coach would have discussed that with him.
Yep. SU may have been waiting on his grades from this marking period to see if he qialiied. Since we're in a dead period, they are not allowed direct contact with the recruit.

Yep. SU may have been waiting on his grades from this marking period to see if he qialiied. Since we're in a dead period, they are not allowed direct contact with the recruit.
No face to face but schools can still dm and text.

He did not OV.
And that is also an important point about academics and where his may be as I have seen tweets from the NCAA requiring kids to submit to them their academics so they can go on official visits. They have to registered with the NCAA Eligibility Center. Perhaps his grades need more than a little work.

Last edited:
I hope he ends up here. Think he could be a nasty player and this is such a football factory school to have a foot in the door with.

I hope he ends up here. Think he could be a nasty player and this is such a football factory school to have a foot in the door with.
I agree. I am down here in Florida and 20 minutes from their stadium and have watched a few of their game. This kid has a big upside. Also this team is loaded with D1 talent and I know SU is looking at a few other players on next year team and this would be a good opening of a pipeline if we can finalize Mr. Smith. The kid wanted to play here by just his highlight reel he put together at Spectrum Sports. He was boasting how he was going to be playing at SU. Now he has to work on getting his grades up.

Say that a high school recruit needs to work on his grades in the next couple months, how does the communication work?
Does Dino get weekly updates from the player or the coach?
Or is this just sending reports cards?

Dino has to keep his options open in case things don't work out so is he constantly getting grade updates?

Just curious how frequent the communication takes place.

Say that a high school recruit needs to work on his grades in the next couple months, how does the communication work?
Does Dino get weekly updates from the player or the coach?
Or is this just sending reports cards?

Dino has to keep his options open in case things don't work out so is he constantly getting grade updates?

Just curious how frequent the communication takes place.
My guess is that it would be through the HS Coach or even Guidance counselor at his school. The evaluation period is over, it was Sept- Nov. , for coaches to actually visit the HS for either an athletic or academic evaluation.

These kids have about a month to get their grades in order. Wish them luck.

These kids have about a month to get their grades in order. Wish them luck.

If he doesn't qualify by February he's not likely to sign anywhere. But if he can qualify by summer he could still go to SU.

With schools having to count any NLI against their 25 whether or not they actually attend, will this open an opportunity for SU to sign late qualifiers that the big boys don't want to take a chance on?

we aren't going to get where we need to be by recruiting kids who wind up at Cinci. That much I know

He's looking at Cinci because he is unlikely to qualify. If he had better academic standing he would have much better programs after him.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom