Class of 2014 - OLB Jason Cabinda (NJ) Offered "beyond excited" | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 OLB Jason Cabinda (NJ) Offered "beyond excited"

I find it very interesting our other recruits did not support him and threw some veiled disappointment at him. Most times I've seen quite the opposite - kids always support each other saying "so and so" has to do what's best for him. Our kids seem a little po'd by his flip. I like.

Obviously they pressured him for the commit as they threw 2 new offers out to LB's after his visit. Gave him the now or never speech. Hate PSU and this goes way before the Ped scandal.

Next up. If we get Sykes and Bentley this may work out for the best. Go CUSE!

Just read this too

Josh Moyer ‏@ESPNJoshMoyer18m
LB Jason Cabinda's commitment makes the third one in less than a week for PSU -- and he's the second player to decommit from elsewhere.

PSU putting the pressure on like you said

This is in part due to the NCAA giving them scholarships back.

With OBrien likely to be pressured by the NFL this year, you never know what'll happen.

I find it very interesting our other recruits did not support him and threw some veiled disappointment at him. Most times I've seen quite the opposite - kids always support each other saying "so and so" has to do what's best for him. Our kids seem a little po'd by his flip. I like.

Yep. They worked hard to help bring him in. I have no problem with them feeling betrayed and applying some pressure.

I think anyone that understood this recruitment had to know that if Penn State came knocking he was likely going to listen, and listen hard.

Still hold out hope that if we can somehow make a bowl and he visits we can snag him back - but I wouldn't put good odds on it.

I think there was a lot of pressure on him from where he's from to go PSU, that area in NJ is a heavy PSU area. He may have grown up a PSU fan as well for all we know. The circumstances suck but I can't condemn him for it, just like I wouldn't condemn Chauncey Scissum from flipping to SU last year after the local team decided to offer him late after he committed elsewhere.

Positives are that LB is the strongest part of this class and we have some really talented LB prospects we're still looking at and 4 months to finish out the class. He didn't pull this on Jan. 31st so that does help us some.

And I still hope Bill O'Brien gets hit by a bus.

I think there was a lot of pressure on him from where he's from to go PSU, that area in NJ is a heavy PSU area. He may have grown up a PSU fan as well for all we know. The circumstances suck but I can't condemn him for it, just like I wouldn't condemn Chauncey Scissum from flipping to SU last year after the local team decided to offer him late after he committed elsewhere.

Positives are that LB is the strongest part of this class and we have some really talented LB prospects we're still looking at and 4 months to finish out the class. He didn't pull this on Jan. 31st so that does help us some.

Good post, Tep. Luckily, we had a solid group of LBs lined up, so if there was a spot where we could absorb attrition in this class, LB is the positional unit. Sucks to lose him the way we did, with the NCAA magically granting PSU more scholarships. Oh well.

If we ultimately end up with Sykes as an indirect outcome, we won't feel this loss at all. Hate losing him, though; it is what it is.

It is unfortunate about the flip but perhaps the staff now goes into full court press for Sykes services. Why stop there,...would do the same with Bentley.

Good Luck to Jason and hopefully doesn't question this decision down the road once Bill O'Brien leaves for the league.

It is unfortunate about the flip but perhaps the staff now goes into full court press for Sykes services. Why stop there,...would do the same with Bentley.

Good Luck to Jason and hopefully doesn't question this decision down the road once Bill O'Brien leaves for the league.
Already full court pressing for Sykes.

Cabinda will regret this when BoB leaves after Signing Day.

Two things went against us here. The NCAA gave back scholly's to PSU that allowed them to outright offer and how can you have not gone to a better game and not fall in lust with what you just experienced. I am sure Bill added the caveat we need to know now or are moving on.

I actually dont think he committed for the coaches. Sounds like Penn St was his dream school.

I know it is a guess but why does everyone think he is going to the NFL next year? Just curious.

-
I don't know that anyone "knows" that he is going. But being a sports fan, and a betting man, I'd say the odds that he goes are 75%+. There are 32 NFL jobs in the world. An NFL head coaching role is the highest level you can go in BoB's profession. But the kicker is that he is a highly regarded former NFL assistant coach. Much like Marrone. Even some of the best "career" college head coaches wanted to try their hand in the "show" of the NFL (Spurrier, Saban-who started in the NFL, even coach Mac). Add to that that Penn State is not as deep as a coach would like to make a run at a championship (due to past sanctions and the cloud over it the past 2 years). His stock for the for-seeable future will never be as high as it is now if they take a dip the next couple of years (very relistic possibility). Heck, saying all that I'd say 85% chance he goes.

One more thing. Too many of our fans are saying things like "you can't blame him for choosing Penn State." Stop saying that crap on this board. Our schools are different, but if I had the chance to choose all over, I'd choose the 'Cuse 100 times out of 100. And I'm sure many here would overwhelmingly do it again. I'm disappointed FOR him, and think Cabinda made a mistake. I won't root against or for him, but I think he lost out on a great opportunity to shine with this coacing staff.

Our schools are different, to be sure. But there is a reason that Penn State had the issues they had recently. They have an imbalance in priorities. Syracuse does not have the 100K seat stadium and whatnot. But our stadium gets VERY loud when the team gives a reason to. We're looking for the kids that can re-build that culture.

Take a look at the levels that Syracuse players have gone to in the NFL versus Penn State the last 15-20 years (McNabb, Harrison, Jones', Freeney, Bullough, etc, etc etc). If they want to achieve the highest level in football, we'll enable that. If they want a balanced University life, we provide that too.

After reading a bunch of his post flip interviews i'm actually shocked that it was this easy for him. A couple quotes that stand out.

"I'm so excited I want to go up there every weekend even if there not playing."

"PSU has always been my #1"

"It's so freaking awesome, it just feels right"

Even said Northwestern started sniffing around, but told them my recruitment is over I am all Penn St. FWIW this does sound like a commitment to the school, and not the coaching staff. Says he lives in an all Penn St county and is a privilege to play for them. Ya I wouldn't hold out any hope what so ever of him even talking to anyone from Syracuse again.

Now if we can some how wrestle Sykes away from Mizzou it won't even matter

Just as witty on your part making definitive statements like "he is gone," then calling out people who disagree with that statement as wearing Orange colored glasses. You obviously have no connection with Cabinda personally. You may make THINK he will flip... but it is clear you really have no clue at all in relation to what he will do.

Yet your response will probably be "I'll eat crow," or "I want to be wrong about Cabinda flipping" - but you kind of are an idiot if he does stay with Orange, aren't you, after making that post?
Oh well - guess I was right and I am not kind of an idiot.

He'll be a backup at Penn State. He just doesn't know it yet.

I don't know that anyone "knows" that he is going. But being a sports fan, and a betting man, I'd say the odds that he goes are 75%+. There are 32 NFL jobs in the world. An NFL head coaching role is the highest level you can go in BoB's profession. But the kicker is that he is a highly regarded former NFL assistant coach. Much like Marrone. Even some of the best "career" college head coaches wanted to try their hand in the "show" of the NFL (Spurrier, Saban-who started in the NFL, even coach Mac). Add to that that Penn State is not as deep as a coach would like to make a run at a championship (due to past sanctions and the cloud over it the past 2 years). His stock for the for-seeable future will never be as high as it is now if they take a dip the next couple of years (very relistic possibility). Heck, saying all that I'd say 85% chance he goes.

One more thing. Too many of our fans are saying things like "you can't blame him for choosing Penn State." Stop saying that crap on this board. Our schools are different, but if I had the chance to choose all over, I'd choose the 'Cuse 100 times out of 100. And I'm sure many here would overwhelmingly do it again. I'm disappointed FOR him, and think Cabinda made a mistake. I won't root against or for him, but I think he lost out on a great opportunity to shine with this coacing staff.

Our schools are different, to be sure. But there is a reason that Penn State had the issues they had recently. They have an imbalance in priorities. Syracuse does not have the 100K seat stadium and whatnot. But our stadium gets VERY loud when the team gives a reason to. We're looking for the kids that can re-build that culture.

Take a look at the levels that Syracuse players have gone to in the NFL versus Penn State the last 15-20 years (McNabb, Harrison, Jones', Freeney, Bullough, etc, etc etc). If they want to achieve the highest level in football, we'll enable that. If they want a balanced University life, we provide that too.

Hey, PSU fan coming in peace. Just wanted to lend my two cents.

First, we are really happy to have Cabinda on board, but we know how it stings when kids decommit. We've had more than our fair share the past two years (for obvious reasons, most of the time). Can't blame the kids. Moving on:

O'Brien certainly might leave for the NFL, but I would put that likelihood way below 75%. Maybe 10% this year. Last year, you can't blame him for looking, but reports were that was more to leverage a new contract that was a bit shorter (from 9 to 5 years) and better for his assistants. There is also this quote from recently committed Mike Gesicki:

"Coach O'Brien said he'll be there for at least my career because that's what his contract has him as... He's not leaving Hack. He's going to do everything he can for Hack to get him to be somewhat like the other quarterbacks he has coached... he just wants to evolve this offense... he loves this school. He loves the University and the people there. He can't talk enough about it... he told me he's not going anywhere so I trust him."

Now, I know coaches will always say they want to stay, but that's some pretty definitive stuff.

A note on putting players in the NFL, 'Cuse has done a fine job. But PSU has, as well, especially at Cabinda's position: Sean Lee, Paul Posluzny, and Navarro Bowman are stars, while Dan Connor, Mike Mauti, Derek Wake, and Gerald Hodges are all in the League. Some players with lesser talent were molded into NFL linebackers, as well (Tim Shaw, Nate Stupar, run-on Josh Hull). Gotta admit, that's a pretty attractive track record, all in the past ten years.

In closing, good luck on the rest of your class and your season, but GO STATE, BEAT THE BUCKEYES!

Two things went against us here. The NCAA gave back scholly's to PSU that allowed them to outright offer and how can you have not gone to a better game and not fall in lust with what you just experienced. I am sure Bill added the caveat we need to know now or are moving on.
Be careful when you put Pen State and LUST in the same sentence.