Class of 2014 - OLB Jason Cabinda (NJ) Offered "beyond excited" | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 OLB Jason Cabinda (NJ) Offered "beyond excited"

doesn't mean the new coach will honor the offer, though. Didn't Marrone pull some offers when he took over?
That's fair. So I will revise my statement... Ship has sailed unless PSU pulls the offer.

That's fair. So I will revise my statement... Ship has sailed unless PSU pulls the offer.

I think it has regardless, do you think Shafer would welcome him back? Possibly more importantly, would his fellow recruits welcome him back? They were pretty upset that Cabinda flipped, and I am not so sure they feel he's a guy they want in the foxhole with them.

Last edited:
I think it has regardless, do you think Shafer would welcome him back? Possibly more importantly, would his fellow recruits welcome him back? They were pretty upset that Cabinda flipped, and I PM not so sure they feel he's a guy they want in the foxhole with them.

Agree. We move on with kids that want to be here

Hey, PSU fan coming in peace. Just wanted to lend my two cents.

First, we are really happy to have Cabinda on board, but we know how it stings when kids decommit. We've had more than our fair share the past two years (for obvious reasons, most of the time). Can't blame the kids. Moving on:

O'Brien certainly might leave for the NFL, but I would put that likelihood way below 75%. Maybe 10% this year. Last year, you can't blame him for looking, but reports were that was more to leverage a new contract that was a bit shorter (from 9 to 5 years) and better for his assistants. There is also this quote from recently committed Mike Gesicki:

Now, I know coaches will always say they want to stay, but that's some pretty definitive stuff.

A note on putting players in the NFL, 'Cuse has done a fine job. But PSU has, as well, especially at Cabinda's position: Sean Lee, Paul Posluzny, and Navarro Bowman are stars, while Dan Connor, Mike Mauti, Derek Wake, and Gerald Hodges are all in the League. Some players with lesser talent were molded into NFL linebackers, as well (Tim Shaw, Nate Stupar, run-on Josh Hull). Gotta admit, that's a pretty attractive track record, all in the past ten years.

In closing, good luck on the rest of your class and your season, but GO STATE, BEAT THE BUCKEYES!

I think it has regardless, do you think Shafer would welcome him back? Possibly more importantly, would his fellow recruits welcome him back? They were pretty upset that Cabinda flipped, and I am not so sure they feel he's a guy they want in the foxhole with them.
They are kids sure they would accept him but it's not going to happen.

Big picture, if O'brien leaves its only good for Syracuse.

Four great things happened this weekend

1. Terrell Hunt brought SU to win the Texas Bowl-Somewhere in heaven are two proud parents smiling down

2. Syracuse makes a terrific gut check comback against Villanova

3. Rutgers loses

4. Bill O' Brien looking for one of the 50 ways to leave his lover

Good, good, good, good

God I hope BOB leaves...those dbag apologists can't have enough bad things happen to their precious football program.

Four great things happened this weekend

1. Terrell Hunt brought SU to win the Texas Bowl-Somewhere in heaven are two proud parents smiling down

2. Syracuse makes a terrific gut check comback against Villanova

3. Rutgers loses

4. Bill O' Brien looking for one of the 50 ways to leave his lover

Good, good, good, good

There was actually 5 good things, you forgot the Eagles win over the Cowgirls.

@KMASON21: Best thing I've read so far: @jasoncabinda - "Whatever happens, happens. I picked PSU for me, not Bill O'Brien." This kids future is bright.

TOS had a different vibe earlier this week.

A few things that struck me about the article. He's somewhat open but 100% committed. Wouldn't the first part of that statement mean the second part would be less than 100%? The only thing that would put him on edge is if PSU hires a bad coach. "Hey Jason, this is the new Nittany Lion HC Greg Schiano calling...". I'm sorry he's frustrated and thought he could cruise until signing day. I'm sure the SU coaches were also frustrated when he decommitted. All in all I bet he stays with Holley at PSU.

i wonder if that means they dont feel too confident in Thomas coming here

Cabinda was one of the top kids on their board. They'd maybe rather have him than Thomas or any other kid for that matter.

Toad Hunt wrote an article today or yesterday about all the penn state prospects rutgers should contact. Cabinda was one of them. the article was a good laugh. of course the buttgers faithful now think they actually have a chance to land AA QB Mike OConnor.

Some thoughts. Cabinda can still visit Cuse officially so we’ll see if a visit happens. A hunch says it happens – not that he flips but that he visits “to be sure”.

If Al Golden is named at Penn State, I’d worry a little bit about Custis but I don’t think anyone else, Penn State with OBrien reached out to Zaire and he said no thanks. I’m hedging that a new coach wouldn’t have a lot of time to flip kids rather than re-recruiting the kids they already have and the open ones they’re currently involved with.

Conversely, I think there’s a kid or two at Miami that GMac could swing.

I think ped st. is going to get the treatment after the quotes of BOB said referring to joebots. He fired Vandy as a retaliation move of sort against the school and did not replace either coach he fired.

I really don't think they will get a named coach other than Schiano who is going after the Texas job hard. BOB hit 'em hard when he left

Collegian Footblog ‏@psufootblog 16m
Penn State quarterback commit Michael O'Connor reportedly won't enroll early as originally planned: http://bit.ly/1cNji2v

Won't enroll in college until June and is reopening his recruitment. So it starts.

Some thoughts. Cabinda can still visit Cuse officially so we’ll see if a visit happens. A hunch says it happens – not that he flips but that he visits “to be sure”.

If Al Golden is named at Penn State, I’d worry a little bit about Custis but I don’t think anyone else, Penn State with OBrien reached out to Zaire and he said no thanks. I’m hedging that a new coach wouldn’t have a lot of time to flip kids rather than re-recruiting the kids they already have and the open ones they’re currently involved with.

Conversely, I think there’s a kid or two at Miami that GMac could swing.

Chris Adamski ‏@C_AdamskiTrib 13m
Dunno how toxic this mere simple fact is: Al Golden and his wife were TWO employees of PSU football office when Jerry Sandusky was around

If I were Golden I wouldn't leave Miami for PSU for one big reason...$$$. No state income tax in FL.

Last edited:
If I was a PSU recruit right now, I'd be as concerned about who my new position coach & coordinator would be, as I would about the toxic football culture that has been exposed.

Def going to be interesting to see how this next month plays out. Hopefully we keep our recruits from being poached, and we can take a few from other schools.