Class of 2014 - OLB Jason Cabinda (NJ) Offered "beyond excited" | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 OLB Jason Cabinda (NJ) Offered "beyond excited"

Hey, PSU fan coming in peace. Just wanted to lend my two cents.

First, we are really happy to have Cabinda on board, but we know how it stings when kids decommit. We've had more than our fair share the past two years (for obvious reasons, most of the time). Can't blame the kids. Moving on:

O'Brien certainly might leave for the NFL, but I would put that likelihood way below 75%. Maybe 10% this year. Last year, you can't blame him for looking, but reports were that was more to leverage a new contract that was a bit shorter (from 9 to 5 years) and better for his assistants. There is also this quote from recently committed Mike Gesicki:

Now, I know coaches will always say they want to stay, but that's some pretty definitive stuff.

A note on putting players in the NFL, 'Cuse has done a fine job. But PSU has, as well, especially at Cabinda's position: Sean Lee, Paul Posluzny, and Navarro Bowman are stars, while Dan Connor, Mike Mauti, Derek Wake, and Gerald Hodges are all in the League. Some players with lesser talent were molded into NFL linebackers, as well (Tim Shaw, Nate Stupar, run-on Josh Hull). Gotta admit, that's a pretty attractive track record, all in the past ten years.

In closing, good luck on the rest of your class and your season, but GO STATE, BEAT THE BUCKEYES!

You may well be right. But there's a track record of coaches who said all the right things, told recruits those same things, "listened" to other job pitches, signed contract extensions, made public statements - and then bolted to the next job.

If the right team comes calling - I bet the guys gone.

I purposely used that word, for that franchise is all about it (lust) and are completely blind to anything else around them except Lion Football...
I figured that is what you were implying, and I agree with you.

You may well be right. But there's a track record of coaches who said all the right things, told recruits those same things, "listened" to other job pitches, signed contract extensions, made public statements - and then bolted to the next job.

If the right team comes calling - I bet the guys gone.

I think the only team that would entice him to leave before Hackenberg is gone is the New England Patriots. That's his dream job, and I'm not sure he gets it even if Belichek retires.

I purposely used that word, for that franchise is all about it (lust) and are completely blind to anything else around them except Lion Football...

I would just like to point out that PSU students and alumni are currently canning for THON, the largest student-run philanthropy in the world, that has raised over $100 million for childhood cancer victims. Yeah, football is huge at PSU - just like a lot of places - but we do a lot of good, as well.

I would just like to point out that PSU students and alumni are currently canning for THON, the largest student-run philanthropy in the world, that has raised over $100 million for childhood cancer victims. Yeah, football is huge at PSU - just like a lot of places - but we do a lot of good, as well.

Don't get me wrong, take "lust" for face value here, "The State" has wonderful and amazing passion for their program, that is arguably unequaled but for a handfull of other institutions, but fans, coaches and players as well as recruits can get lost in this passion as well. I would say the same to ourselves, specifically in basketball where no one comes close to packing them in like we do. Quick to forget those behind the scenes that do alot of good with little or no notoriaty. I for one have looked past the scandals and have kept up with the greater good that PSU has led the way in in many areas. Syracuse has done their share as well, but hard to compare just due to the size magnitude difference between our two universities where you have a 100K on campus and we run just over 17K. Not saying anything is being done wrong at PSU, but the "lust" is still in the eyes of the program, and that may never change, for good and unfortunately bad.

Wis Cabinda all the success in the world, until he plays us that is! ;)

Don't get me wrong, take "lust" for face value here, "The State" has wonderful and amazing passion for their program, that is arguably unequaled but for a handfull of other institutions, but fans, coaches and players as well as recruits can get lost in this passion as well. I would say the same to ourselves, specifically in basketball where no one comes close to packing them in like we do. Quick to forget those behind the scenes that do alot of good with little or no notoriaty. I for one have looked past the scandals and have kept up with the greater good that PSU has led the way in in many areas. Syracuse has done their share as well, but hard to compare just due to the size magnitude difference between our two universities where you have a 100K on campus and we run just over 17K. Not saying anything is being done wrong at PSU, but the "lust" is still in the eyes of the program, and that may never change, for good and unfortunately bad.

Wis Cabinda all the success in the world, until he plays us that is! ;)

Totally agree. 'Cuse does a lot of good, too.

I almost went there for grad school (great communications program), but chose PSU instead (dream school, also a great communications progam, in-state tuition the key!).

Totally agree. 'Cuse does a lot of good, too.

I almost went there for grad school (great communications program), but chose PSU instead (dream school, also a great communications progam, in-state tuition the key!).

Syracuse is not cheap, no sir......

Just wanted to drop this note. Cabinda interviewed with Lions247. It's VIP, but I thought this part would interest y'all. Good kid:

Obviously [decommitting] wasn't easy, but you have to man up and do what you need to do. I had to call up Coach Shafer and let him know. He handled it well. He's a good guy, he was great about it and it was what I expected. That's one of the reasons that I chose Syracuse to begin with. Those are the kind of people that I wanted to deal with - good people with good character. He's not the kind of guy that is going to hang up on me in the middle of the sentence or yelling at me because I tell him that I'm not going there anymore. They handled it with absolute class and that's what I expected from them.

Just wanted to drop this note. Cabinda interviewed with Lions247. It's VIP, but I thought this part would interest y'all. Good kid:

Class..... but still hurts! The kid is ok in my books, take care of him in College Town. My father brought me to my first ever game in 1972 at good Old Archbald Stadium, you know the stadium that set the term, "running down hill" as it actually had a downward pitch, don't remember the grade, but it was the largest one in the league I believe.

$T2eC16V,!zQE9s3ssVThBRmTbKBv3Q~~60_35.JPG

We won that game against arch rival Navy, but it was the stories he told me. My father was a die hard SU Fan and actually drove the the 1959 championship game form Syracuse. I found this clip on Archbold, and although we didn't have the titan stadiums like PSU, Michigan or USC, it was quite a special experience, one that lives with me forever. Went to the Penn State game the next year and I think we got trounced 49-6 the following year, was just my second game, so the rivalry of that day lives on in that very distant memory!

I hope Cabinda's enjoying the Ohio State game.

You actually bring up a good point. For teams in power conferences, blowouts happen. It isn't just us that it's happening to.

I hope Cabinda's enjoying the Ohio State game.

What goes around, comes around they say.....or the grass is always greener on the other side of the fense. I say there is a good chance we may have a coach at PSU looking at some opeings.....lets say Pittsburgh! (They will make a change)

Now that PSU LB coach Ron Vanderlinden has been fired, does HCSS put in a call to Cabinda?

Ship has sailed. PSU was his dream school. Doesn't matter if Barney Fife was coaching linebackers at PED St., he'd still go.

I would agree with this. To be honest, I don't even know if Schafer (and the staff) would welcome him back if he wanted to flip back. I know lots of the recruits were pissed when he flipped, and I can't imagine they would be very happy with him initially once he got here. They would get over it eventually, but I can imagine lots of feelings were hurt.

I would agree with this. To be honest, I don't even know if Schafer (and the staff) would welcome him back if he wanted to flip back. I know lots of the recruits were pissed when he flipped, and I can't imagine they would be very happy with him initially once he got here. They would get over it eventually, but I can imagine lots of feelings were hurt.
Shafer

orangeinjersey said:
with Obrien on the move, any chance we get back in on this? Has the ship sailed?
Ship sailed on this one. Penn St. Is his dream school.

Ship sailed on this one. Penn St. Is his dream school.

doesn't mean the new coach will honor the offer, though. Didn't Marrone pull some offers when he took over?