On The Block no more | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

On The Block no more

Could you give an example? Just curious of what he was saying
This is a general comment, I am not going to waste my time trying to specific posts, It seemed to me he was so intent on crapping on the program that he became a joke. He did represent a portion of the SU fan base. I’ll give him that. He was all but asking for Dino to be fired until 6-0 , then after about 6-3 he was back on the dump Dino platform. His opinion flip flopped with the wind, and I seldom found anything he said insightful either pro ( seldom ) or negative (frequent) . I don’t know him , maybe he is a great family man and a lot of fun at the neighborhood block party, so I hope he lands on his feet.

This is a general comment, I am not going to waste my time trying to specific posts, It seemed to me he was so intent on crapping on the program that he became a joke. He did represent a portion of the SU fan base. I’ll give him that. He was all but asking for Dino to be fired until 6-0 , then after about 6-3 he was back on the dump Dino platform. His opinion flip flopped with the wind, and I seldom found anything he said insightful either pro ( seldom ) or negative (frequent) . I don’t know him , maybe he is a great family man and a lot of fun at the neighborhood block party, so I hope he lands on his feet.
The opinion flip flopping is a good enough example.

Agreed.

I think this would be a non-story if Levine didn't publicly brag about it and invoke JAB's name as a friend and investor in the station (along with announcing he'd be making multiple appearances on the station upcoming.)

It was the Elon Musk PR approach - as in say whatever the hell you want because you think you can...

It was also dumb and created a PR debacle.

People are missing the point. You can have any opinion on if you liked axe or not, fair.

What I can’t get over, is the fact that I listen to ESPN Syracuse to hear SUBJECTIVE and opinionated stances (good and bad) of my favorite Syracuse sports teams. That is clearly gone.

Let’s put it this way. Let’s say you’re the owner of the chemical company whose product spilled in Ohio. Let’s say they’re part owner of a radio station that talks about chemicals (idk bear with me lol). Imagine how you would feel about the credibility of that station in regards to talking about the spill, if the last guy who did got canned. Makes an environment where you can’t speak what’s really on your mind. In sense this has created a barrier of free thought, because there’s consequences to speaking badly about a certain entity even though the criticism is valid.

Does that makes sense or am I losing it? Lol

There is nothing that anyone has quoted saying Boeheim asked for Axe to be fired yet that doesn't stop people from blowharding it .

It’s almost like the media is bound and determined to prove my assertion that in 2023, everything is fake news correct today…

It will blow over after the pundits have collected enough clicks...

You seem to not understand. Whatever the opinion is of Axe, for a media person to be fired by a media owner, who implied (I mean he actually said it but I'll couch it so I don't get people starting to parse quotes) it was in deference to the main party that the station reports on, is a massively screwed up situation. It is a MASSIVE breach of journalistic integrity, and a huge number of sports journalists are talking about this not for clicks, but because they could be next.

This is a big deal.

It depends, will the callers repeat their criticisms 20 times in an hour, every hour the show is on and then repeat it all again every single day? It's a bit like this board. I don't think anyone has a problem with criticism that lets say is founded on facts or having a debate on it. It becomes a problem when the criticism is posted in every single thread, every day, in every post, by the same people, every week until for some the message becomes lost.
lol

Who goes on in his slot 3 minutes from now? Just national ESPN radio?

Edit: It’s Brian Higgins

if you're in media (radio [lol], tv, podcasting, etc) you want people who will give you stances and sometimes provide the opposite stance. If you've never seen the clip of Stephen A arguing with himself, you should. It's very funny but at the same time, that's how you generate attention ($$$$$) you want people calling in, clicking, disagreeing, agreeing, etc. Content content content.

Letting go of Axe is one thing -- you could have justified that in so many ways.

Letting him go and the reasons you gave?? Good lord. That's a horrible look for the station/Levine's reputation. As others have said you just put a huge black eye on your credibility.

Axe -- go start your podcast yesterday and bring the TAKES

It will blow over after the pundits have collected enough clicks...

Define “blow over”. I still run into people who think Syracuse had a child abuser on their staff from the hatchet job ESPN did on Bernie Fine years ago. This won’t be as big a stain, but will taint the way some casual observers nationally view Syracuse for years to come.

More national news coverage --

NY Post - ESPN Syracuse fires host Brent Axe for ‘overly dark’ coverage

USAToday - Syracuse radio personality Brent Axe fired for talking too negativity about Orange athletics

Clearly the national journalism "fraternity" is rallying around Brent Axe. Another bad look for Syracuse University. I wonder if John Wildhack had any direct influence on Brent being fired. After how "Boeheim is out" was handled, this would make it two strikes against him in the P.R. department.

You seem to not understand. Whatever the opinion is of Axe, for a media person to be fired by a media owner, who implied (I mean he actually said it but I'll couch it so I don't get people starting to parse quotes) it was in deference to the main party that the station reports on, is a massively screwed up situation. It is a MASSIVE breach of journalistic integrity, and a huge number of sports journalists are talking about this not for clicks, but because they could be next.

This is a big deal.

I am not saying it isn't a big deal.

But I don't think Levine acting like a complete tool is setting any precedent across the country for radio stations to start canning their local sports talk reporters/personalities.

It's going to run its cycle (unless Axe sues), which, honestly, he may have a good case for wrongful termination based on Levine's asinine comments.

More national news coverage --

NY Post - ESPN Syracuse fires host Brent Axe for ‘overly dark’ coverage

USAToday - Syracuse radio personality Brent Axe fired for talking too negativity about Orange athletics

Clearly the national journalism "fraternity" is rallying around Brent Axe. Another bad look for Syracuse University. I wonder if John Wildhack had any direct influence on Brent being fired. After how "Boeheim is out" was handled, this would make it two strikes against him in the P.R. department.
Or since we are speculating, maybe Wildhack tried to save his job, because at least Axe was someone talking about SU sports on a daily basis. But I don’t think Wildhack played any role in this.

Define “blow over”. I still run into people who think Syracuse had a child abuser on their staff from the hatchet job ESPN did on Bernie Fine years ago. This won’t be as big a stain, but will taint the way some casual observers nationally view Syracuse for years to come.
I can't even think of a single way you can use this as "banter", so yes, it will blow over.

Axe still has a job with the paper! People are making a mountain out of a molehill here.

This is a big deal.
Was Axe a journalist in this role or was he the host of an opinion based sports talk radio show?

Posted this on the thread about Axe on the football board but bears repeating:

HR and Media reps in Corporate America should print that interview out and use it as a tool on what not to do in interviews with media. That Levine guy did about everything wrong you can possibly do. His quotes and that story about people coming up to him which sounds beyond made up is an awful look. SU has to be livid this guy opened his mouth.
Good idea. Going to do just this!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom