On The Block no more | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

On The Block no more

This isn’t about Axe

This is about the integrity of the radio station.

Imagine being a radio host there now? You know you can’t be critical of the program because you might be fired

Imagine being the new person coming in, you are now worried about being overly critical of the athletic department.

Levine screwed up by making the comments he did. If I’m Syracuse I’m doing everything possible to distance myself from Galaxy media. No way do they want to be tied to something like this.

This is journalism 101 stuff.

This isn’t about Axe

Imagine being a radio host there now? You know you can’t be critical of the program because you might be fired

Imagine being the new person coming in, you are now worried about being overly critical of the athletic department.

Levine screwed up by making the comments he did. If I’m Syracuse I’m doing everything possible to distance myself from Galaxy media. No way do they want to be tied to something like this.

This 1000000%. Levine is more or less saying, be “positive” or risk termination.

This isn’t about Axe

Exactly. I work in PR and I absolutely would have put out a statement making it clear the University never asked for anyone to be fired*. Distance yourself from those insane comments IMMEDIATELY. I posted above I expected they would, but its not the first time they haven't done what I would do when it comes to PR.

*unless they did

His firing was a direct result of his tone-deaf questions at last Friday's press conference. Boeheim gave him a spanking on the way out the door this week.

His firing was a direct result of his tone-deaf questions at last Friday's press conference. Boeheim gave him a spanking on the way out the door this week.

Frustrated Headache GIF by Kelly Clarkson

is "handled with kid gloves" subjective? is " blindly supportive"? or are they objective statements?

I think Axe was too negative. That's my opinion. He can be negative and move on but he likes to add salt to the wounds. Makes him "edgy" and hip.

There was nothing false about Brent. What he said is what he thought.

if you're in media (radio [lol], tv, podcasting, etc) you want people who will give you stances and sometimes provide the opposite stance. If you've never seen the clip of Stephen A arguing with himself, you should. It's very funny but at the same time, that's how you generate attention ($$$$$) you want people calling in, clicking, disagreeing, agreeing, etc. Content content content.

Letting go of Axe is one thing -- you could have justified that in so many ways.

Letting him go and the reasons you gave?? Good lord. That's a horrible look for the station/Levine's reputation. As others have said you just put a huge black eye on your credibility.

Axe -- go start your podcast yesterday and bring the TAKES
I think the problem is nobody is expecting Galaxy/Levine to be credible. Keeping Axe on the air for his lack of talent hurt their credibility, the firing just further proves what we already knew. Station and owner don't care about how they look.

I respectfully disagree, I think
he said what he thought his following wanted to hear .

I've been listening to his show regularly for 14 years and never got that impression. Until recently I would have counted him as being a Boeheim supporter. I recall his defending for years Jim's decision to go all zone. He changed his mind recently because the other continuing mediocrity of the teams, especially on defense. But what really got to him was when Jim started to attack people who call into talk shows, saying that they never go to the games. When Brent responded to that, he was sticking up for us. That was the 'negativity' that got him fired.

This isn’t about Axe

Their contract is up in two years. With JB out of the picture, Galaxy might get outbid for access to SU sports.

I've been listening to his show regularly for 14 years and never got that impression. Until recently I would have counted him as being a Boeheim supporter. I recall his defending for years Jim's decision to go all zone. He changed his mind recently because the other continuing mediocrity of the teams, especially on defense. But what really got to him was when Jim started to attack people who call into talk shows, saying that they never go to the games. When Brent responded to that, he was sticking up for us. That was the 'negativity' that got him fired.
I always felt Axe went out of his way to be as fair as possible, without being too critical. I thought he was a little soft at times to not ruffle feathers too much.

I always felt Axe went out of his way to be as fair as possible, without being too critical. I thought he was a little soft at times to not ruffle feathers too much.
He got the last question of the presser. He heard JB and JW say Boeheim retired. The just explained it at length. So he had to ask if it really was a retirement. He wanted attention and to get his last dig in.

He got the last question of the presser. He heard JB and JW say Boeheim retired. The just explained it at length. So he had to ask if it really was a retirement. He wanted attention and to get his last dig in.
ADJW seemed uncomfortable throughout the press conference. Maybe he was sensitive about the subject, because it's not true.

I was referring to his radio show. I thought his question was out of line too.

Linked on the front page of SI.com:

jb-axe.jpg

NY Post:

USA Today:
So Levine thought Axe's show was "overly dark and negative" of late? I hope he never looks at this board or he might get the vapors.

There is nothing that anyone has quoted saying Boeheim asked for Axe to be fired yet that doesn't stop people from blowharding it .
You're right, and I don't think he did. Too bad his avenging angel Ed Levine didn't think this one through a little better.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom