On The Block no more | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

On The Block no more

I wonder if this is going to have a spillover to callers. Will callers even be able to be critical any more?

There's only 22 of the negative nancys that call in... actually, I think 12 are NN's... the other 10 are debbie downers...

There’s almost a skill required here. We took a mediocre radio guy who most locals don’t like and want gone (See Brent Axe is a RICHARD), and fired him in such a way that he’s now a sympathetic victim. If you’d asked me on Friday how to achieve that like it was a goal, I honestly couldn’t have identified a route to pull it off.

And yet - here we are. Amazing.

I wonder if this is going to have a spillover to callers. Will callers even be able to be critical any more?
It depends, will the callers repeat their criticisms 20 times in an hour, every hour the show is on and then repeat it all again every single day? It's a bit like this board. I don't think anyone has a problem with criticism that lets say is founded on facts or having a debate on it. It becomes a problem when the criticism is posted in every single thread, every day, in every post, by the same people, every week until for some the message becomes lost.

I don't listen to much sports radio talk but I like Dan Patrick and Chris Russo. Both very entertaining. I like guys who have fun with sports even when they are critical.

Dan Patrick is about the only sports talk I listen to; somehow he found a way to mix in enough other entertaining content to keep the show fresh. People sending in the parody songs he plays is hilarious; I was listening when they introduced the new “theme” for the career salary song a listener sent in using Call on Me by Eric Prydz, I nearly had to pull off the road I was laughing so hard.

He’s a rare bird that doesn’t have to go negative to draw attention; you’re far more likely to be laughing during his show than getting angry about anything.

It depends, will the callers repeat their criticisms 20 times in an hour, every hour the show is on and then repeat it all again every single day? It's a bit like this board. I don't think anyone has a problem with criticism that lets say is founded on facts or having a debate on it. It becomes a problem when the criticism is posted in every single thread, every day, in every post, by the same people, every week until for some the message becomes lost.
Counterpoint is.

Caller complains about X.

Nothing changes.

Team does X again next game.

Caller is completely justified being even MORE frustrated about X.

I would expect them to bring it up again

Adam Weitsman basically - "Little Billy had a big mouth that he liked to run. Still, it's a shame that he got his teeth punched out at school, I guess."
Nah just another opportunity for Adam to look like a person of virtue and righteousness. Nothing else imo to take from his addition

This is going to sooooo backfire. They just made Axe a martyr.

JB looks like our own John Duton…and Levine is his Rip.
This is a lead story on media platforms all over the country. Ax3 just got himself a big raise.

The guy who lobbied for Coach Ps firing and actually referred to P as a “buffoon”…… then had the audacity to say what a great man P was after he was pink slipped. It’s ok to be critical , but he was often finding things that weren’t there. Glad to see him go !

This is a lead story on media platforms all over the country. Ax3 just got himself a big raise.

Linked on the front page of SI.com:

jb-axe.jpg

NY Post:

USA Today:

Last edited:
The guy who lobbied for Coach Ps firing and actually referred to P as a “buffoon”…… then had the audacity to say what a great man P was after he was pink slipped. It’s ok to be critical , but he was often finding things that weren’t there. Glad to see him go !
Could you give an example? Just curious of what he was saying

Guarantee you by end of day SU puts out a statement saying that it had nothing to do with Galaxy's decision even though it did.
What type of money are you offering with this "guarantee?" And...Can I get in that line?

Olbermann (I know, I know) has it and is commenting as well. Barstool said they were doing an article.

There is nothing that anyone has quoted saying Boeheim asked for Axe to be fired yet that doesn't stop people from blowharding it .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom