On The Block no more | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

On The Block no more

I am not saying it isn't a big deal.

But I don't think Levine acting like a complete tool is setting any precedent across the country for radio stations to start canning their local sports talk reporters/personalities.

It's going to run its cycle (unless Axe sues), which, honestly, he may have a good case for wrongful termination based on Levine's asinine comments.

You're massively missing the point here.

People can be fired for any reason, or for no reason.
New York is an "at will" employment state. The employer starts off in these situations always "in the right".

Except that Levine just gave an exit interview to the newspaper that basically said that Axe was fired for a bunch of reasons that are not generally acceptable - for having an unpopular opinion in an opinion-based entertainment format; because he offended the company who you are paying for their programming, and your guy was fired basically because you wanted to censor free speech.

If Axe was so unpopular, just give us the proof that his ratings went down. Boom, he's gone. And then Ed Levine, just shut your mouth, and you would have no problems.

Axe is getting his 15 minutes, I am sure he is loving this attention.

Hey, the guy just lost his job, for absolutely the wrong reasons.
He's going to sue Galaxy, and they will either quickly settle this case, or it will be a year or two of more bad publicity for the SU sports programs.

The problem is, if there is a lawsuit for wrongful termination. Which honestly, I have no idea if that is possible. That would cause there to be litigation and testimony. The truth would come out. I have a feeling that would NOT be good for anyone involved. Settlement would come quick.
I fail to see any case at all. Your employer can fire you. What possible cause could he claim? They didn't like his work.

I mean, if the board wanted to move on from JW, they have their cover now.

Not that I don't think that will happen, but, if it was ever in serious consideration, now would be the time they would do it

I think he's bringing in too much money. And they are certainly going to need it, if Red can't get attendance back up.

Sorry, but they kind of made a case for Axe to sue Galaxy for wrongful termination.
Lots of awful stuff in this collection of tweets and comments and commentary.
Not going to get drawn into this but there is no legal recourse here. New York is an employment at will State and unless you are a member of a protected class, a whistle blower or protected by contractual provisions you have no legal standing to claim wrongful termination.

Not going to get drawn into this but there is no legal recourse here. New York is an employment at will State and unless you are a member of a protected class, a whistle blower or protected by contractual provisions you have no legal standing to claim wrongful termination.

That was my point. Sadly, I had to let a lot of people go in my career. There is no case here.

I have been told that the inside thought is that it is JW not JB. JW didn't like the way Brent covered the Hillsman fiasco. He didn't like the way he covered the Lax fiasco. He didn't like the way he went after Babers. He didn't like the way he asked questions last Friday. If this is true, that is disgraceful. If. The school has a Sports info debt. They can kiss @ss for the school. I don't know what happened here. Maybe it's just a jackass owner. If it is more than that, that is real bad.
That seems plausible to me. JB is a stubborn old guy who had a hard time walking away, but he certainly wasn't responsible for the mismanagement of his eventual departure, and he doesn't make personnel decisions for Galaxy Communications. What a needless mess and embarrassment for Syracuse University.

I fail to see any case at all. Your employer can fire you. What possible cause could he claim? They didn't like his work.

We fired you because of the guy who you have been criticizing, who just got fired from SU for the bad job he was doing, and was fired, at least in part, because YOU turned public opinion against Boeheim.

You were fired because of outside influence of someone powerful, who doesn't like you, who you have been publicly critical of.

You were fired within 24 hours of him telling me that he would appear on all our radio shows - and maybe even have one of his own with us - next year.

Quid pro quo, much?

That guy you insulted - a public figure - also happens to be an owner of this company, and one of my best personal friends.

Why can't you just kiss the university's butt like everyone else in the local media?

It's Sunday night; you're fired; don't come to work tomorrow.

Levine didn't even have the courage to do it face to face. That ALWAYS counts against you.

Hey, the guy just lost his job, for absolutely the wrong reasons.
He's going to sue Galaxy, and they will either quickly settle this case, or it will be a year or two of more bad publicity for the SU sports programs.
He probably wasn’t making much, he’ll be fine

That was my point. Sadly, I had to let a lot of people go in my career. There is no case here.

Levine said way too much, and now it's in the national media. This is a case, believe me. I've been involved in employment litigation.

To you and Dasher - yes, an employer can fire you for any reason or for no reason at all.

New York is an "at will" state.

However, even in New York, you cannot disparage a person, you cannot fire them for the wrong reasons, and you are not supposed to fire them because of the influence of someone else, outside of your organization.

You can certainly still get your butt sued if you have a terrible exit interview with the person you are firing.

However, even in New York, you cannot disparage a person, you cannot fire them for the wrong reasons, and you are not supposed to fire them because of the influence of someone else, outside of your organization.
JAB is an "owner". Technically he was criticizing his "boss". Flimsy reason, but lots of people get fired for that.

To you and Dasher - yes, an employer can fire you for any reason or for no reason at all.

You can certainly still get your butt sued if you have a terrible exit interview with the person you are firing.
We just heard what has been made public, doesn’t mean there isn’t a lot more in his HR file. any organization with a competent HR director would have it well documented to cover their butt

You're massively missing the point here.

People can be fired for any reason, or for no reason.
New York is an "at will" employment state. The employer starts off in these situations always "in the right".

Except that Levine just gave an exit interview to the newspaper that basically said that Axe was fired for a bunch of reasons that are not generally acceptable - for having an unpopular opinion in an opinion-based entertainment format; because he offended the company who you are paying for their programming, and your guy was fired basically because you wanted to censor free speech.

If Axe was so unpopular, just give us the proof that his ratings went down. Boom, he's gone. And then Ed Levine, just shut your mouth, and you would have no problems.

I'm not missing any of that.

What I said, if he doesn't sue, it will eventually blow over.

I get NY is an at will employment state, but axe's job has legal caveats... He was hired to give a public opinion repeatedly as part of his job. If you are going to fire him for that, you better be ready to demonstrate legally that his opinion was willfully incorrect, that this issue was repeated, and that you verbally and/or in writing warned him when the instances occurred.

If you can't do that, you likely have a problem in the legal footing on the termination. Levine publicly stating he fired him over his opinions is really dumb.

Last edited:

If you want to try to claim defamation or libel, theoretically. But not wrongful termination. I have been involved from both sides in many instances. And I linked resources from the AG that are pretty clear.

Unfair, improper morally, fine. But nothing violates NYS Labor Law.

Sorry, but they kind of made a case for Axe to sue Galaxy for wrongful termination.
Lots of awful stuff in this collection of tweets and comments and commentary.
He’s an at will employee. Being negative isn’t a protected class. If he has a contract he will get paid out. If it was ending, his loss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom