On The Block no more | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

On The Block no more

I've been listening to his show regularly for 14 years and never got that impression. Until recently I would have counted him as being a Boeheim supporter. I recall his defending for years Jim's decision to go all zone. He changed his mind recently because the other continuing mediocrity of the teams, especially on defense. But what really got to him was when Jim started to attack people who call into talk shows, saying that they never go to the games. When Brent responded to that, he was sticking up for us. That was the 'negativity' that got him fired.
So Pat from Syracuse got Brent fired

i believe it was during the french revolution Lafayette said "enlevez leurs voix goûtez leurs poings"
roughly translated "take away their voices taste their fists. "

there's A LOT of people not happy with the state of SU athletics. they deserve a voice too. ain't all rah
rah. pointing out the failures doesn't make you less of a fan. in fact it means you want those weaknesses addressed and corrected.as a fan you can either stand in a puddle and talk about the old days or fix the damn roof. i'm in the second school. if i complain it's becuz i want excellence of our players and coaches.
Once people stop complaining it means they don't care anymore. Apathy = death.

If you want to try to claim defamation or libel, theoretically. But not wrongful termination. I have been involved from both sides in many instances. And I linked resources from the AG that are pretty clear.

Unfair, improper morally, fine. But nothing violates NYS Labor Law.
Yup. NY is an employer friendly state with these things. More so than most blue states. Kind of surprisingly so.

Local guys today didn’t think SU had anything to do with this. Paulie said he is friends with Axe but is 99.9% sure SU had nothing to do with this. Our old friend Bud Poliquin said he doesn’t think SU had anything to do with it.

JAB is an "owner". Technically he was criticizing his "boss". Flimsy reason, but lots of people get fired for that.

JAB is a public figure, and SU sports are Galaxy's programming.

JAB being an owner of the station is a huge conflict of interest.

To you and Dasher - yes, an employer can fire you for any reason or for no reason at all.

New York is an "at will" state.

However, even in New York, you cannot disparage a person, you cannot fire them for the wrong reasons, and you are not supposed to fire them because of the influence of someone else, outside of your organization.

You can certainly still get your butt sued if you have a terrible exit interview with the person you are firing.
suppose? If your best customer doesn't want one of your employees involved with their product, the employer can fire them. There is no case here. You can always sue. You just won't win. And by the way, I would love the guy to clean their clock in a lawsuit. Just don't think it is in the cards.

Add it to the list. Not a good look for anyone. A lawsuit could be in the works.
I know we have others here in the know, but I am sure the employer has the right to terminate base upon many things, including content or actions against the interest of the company, or being a talentless hack.

True but if Simmons has a history of conflict with others (no idea if he does or doesn't by the way), he then has a credibility problem. Also I am not sure I see a linkage here to JW. JB certainly but not Wildhack which means Simmons is taking the opportunity to take a shot and really isn't all the riled up by the actual story. Just from my view.
Wildhack probably fired him from ESPN

just to be clear...and maybe I’m not as I didn’t listen to his show much as all, but did over the last couple weeks off and on...

the “negativity” is that he wanted JB to step down, do I have that right? That’s tearing down a program? Asking for something that the majority of this board wanted to happen so we could move forward?
It may be that the last straw was his last question at the press conference where he was trolling for anything he could use to say JB was fired. It was blatant animosity toward Jim.

I know we have others here in the know, but I am sure the employer has the right to terminate base upon many things, including content or actions against the interest of the company, or being a talentless hack.
Bill Simmons is a first c lass jackass. He was probably let go by JW. No doubt has an axe to grind.

It may be that the last straw was his last question at the press conference where he was trolling for anything he could use to say JB was fired. It was blatant animosity toward Jim.
It actually was a blatant attempt. I'm sure that did not go over well.

if mike and the mad dog got fired for being too negative they wouldnt have lasted a week. terrible look.
What Brent said correctly in the last few weeks about Boeheim and the basketball was tame compared to what Mike and Chris said about the Mets at times on the FAN and the FAN broadcast the Mets games. I hope Brent does a live Spotify grreenroom like John Jastremski does about NY sports

I could see a civil case coming in some way. Or at the least, some sort of settlement. While I agree that there isn’t a wrongful dismissal due to at will contracts, there is a lot that the company and potentially the University could lose if it gets dragged out. Not sure the means that Axe has but if he finds a lawyer who will do it pro bono, I would certainly test the waters if I were him.

This isn’t about Axe

This is about the integrity of the radio station.

Imagine being a radio host there now? You know you can’t be critical of the program because you might be fired

Imagine being the new person coming in, you are now worried about being overly critical of the athletic department.

Levine screwed up by making the comments he did. If I’m Syracuse I’m doing everything possible to distance myself from Galaxy media. No way do they want to be tied to something like this.

This is journalism 101 stuff.
There is fact based opinions and a personalized vendetta. Brett crossed the line.

The problem is, if there is a lawsuit for wrongful termination. Which honestly, I have no idea if that is possible. That would cause there to be litigation and testimony. The truth would come out. I have a feeling that would NOT be good for anyone involved. Settlement would come quick.
Brett’s “damages” are limited to the remainder of his contract. Those are his financial loses. He may have already been paid his contract.

Last edited:
This thread is absolutely bonkers.

- Brent was an at will employee fired for being overly negative.
- Levine's interview was dumb and unnecessary, and opened himself up to criticism.
- Boeheim and Wildhack most likely had nothing to do with it.
- This is not a scandal. Local sports radio people probably see it as an opportunity to take Axe's old job. There are no repercussions that will come out of this.
- There will be no lawsuits and this will blow over in a short period of time.

Would love to hear some theories on what the significant, real life repercussions for SU could actually be for something like this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom