On The Block no more | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

On The Block no more

suppose? If your best customer doesn't want one of your employees involved with their product, the employer can fire them. There is no case here. You can always sue. You just won't win. And by the way, I would love the guy to clean their clock in a lawsuit. Just don't think it is in the cards.

You know what? He has enough facts right now to get into court. He has enough to make pretty much all of them look bad. He already has the press on his side. He'll get a very nice settlement, or else some people are going to look really bad in the press, even worse than they look now.

You know what? He has enough facts right now to get into court. He has enough to make pretty much all of them look bad. He already has the press on his side. He'll get a very nice settlement, or else some people are going to look really bad in the press, even worse than they look now.
What facts?

- Levine's interview was dumb and unnecessary.
- Boeheim and Wildhack "most likely" had nothing to do with it.

These are the only 2 important points.

And your entire argument rests on the "most likely" part, which "most likely" isn't correct.

It's pretty clear that Boeheim's fingerprints are all over this. Levine said so himself.

The way this was handled was almost a textbook version of what not to do when you fire someone.

Would love to hear some theories on what the significant, real life repercussions for SU could actually be for something like this.
for SU? Nothing.

for the radio station? They have no credibility left, but maybe they don’t care. Maybe it’ll hurt their ratings, maybe it won’t.

He’s an at will employee. Being negative isn’t a protected class. If he has a contract he will get paid out. If it was ending, his loss.

As Tuttle said, if he's a radio personality, chances are high that he has an employment contract. The contract will likely have "for cause" and "not for cause" termination language.

Lack of notice, being fired on the phone, does not play well with juries, and probably doesn't comply with the contract.

If there's one rule in firing people (and I have had to fire my share in the past, too), it's "do it in person, and make them feel good about themselves on the way out the door".

This was an intentional kick in the teeth. Say what you will, Axe is going to get paid.

What facts?

He wasn't fired for job performance, his ratings were never brought up.
Talk show radio guys are supposed to gin things up to get idiots to keep calling in, day after day, to talk about the same things. Was Axe responsible for how bad the team was, or declining attendance?
Did Axe make Boeheim be such an ass to people in the media?

These are the only 2 important points.

And your entire argument rests on the "most likely" part, which "most likely" isn't correct.

It's pretty clear that Boeheim's fingerprints are all over this. Levine said so himself.

The way this was handled was almost a textbook version of what not to do when you fire someone.
No he didn't, you interpreted the words that came out of his mouth to say that, when they clearly do not. Please point out the "pretty clear" quote where Levine said Boeheim's fingerprints are all over this. All I see is him disclosing his relationship with SU and JB. Levine clearly had a problem with the coverage. Get over it.

“I had a problem with the content of the show,” Levine said. “I’m an SU fan. I’m sorry, but I bleed Orange. I’m not going to apologize for that, and I think a fair reading of the Orange is appropriate. I understand (Galaxy has) a business relationship (with Syracuse), that Coach (Jim) Boeheim and I are personal friends and he’s an investor in my company.

“I understand and acknowledge all of that. We’ve called it pretty fair, and I would argue we’ve been tough on SU when the on-field or off-field events warrant it. I just think over the past six months it took a different tone and became overly dark and negative. I don’t think that’s what Syracuse fans want to hear.”

He wasn't fired for job performance, his ratings were never brought up.
Talk show radio guys are supposed to gin things up to get idiots to keep calling in, day after day, to talk about the same things. Was Axe responsible for how bad the team was, or declining attendance?
Did Axe make Boeheim be such an ass to people in the media?
You are literally proving Levine's point. Axe was making things up to get the idiots to call in and talk about the same things by being overly negative. Levine was sick of it so he canned him.

People are acting like SU hired Chris Beard and said he was an amazing human being.

No he didn't, you interpreted the words that came out of his mouth to say that, when they clearly do not. Please point out the "pretty clear" quote where Levine said Boeheim's fingerprints are all over this. All I see is him disclosing his relationship with SU and JB. Levine clearly had a problem with the coverage. Get over it.

“I had a problem with the content of the show,” Levine said. “I’m an SU fan. I’m sorry, but I bleed Orange. I’m not going to apologize for that, and I think a fair reading of the Orange is appropriate. I understand (Galaxy has) a business relationship (with Syracuse), that Coach (Jim) Boeheim and I are personal friends and he’s an investor in my company.

“I understand and acknowledge all of that. We’ve called it pretty fair, and I would argue we’ve been tough on SU when the on-field or off-field events warrant it. I just think over the past six months it took a different tone and became overly dark and negative. I don’t think that’s what Syracuse fans want to hear.”

Boeheim commented about Axe being "the only person" who was critical of him in one of those lame press conferences he gave before Boeheim was fired.

Levine wrote on Twitter the day before Axe was fired that Boeheim was going to be doing appearances on Galaxy stations next year.

The next day, the Galaxy employee most critical of their new radio star, Mr. Boeheim, gets fired.

You left out those parts. Those are some of the dots to connect.

Boeheim's last 2 months of talking to the public were a never-ending shtt show.

This is radio.
It’s a step even below television in terms of the manner in which people are treated.

Unless the guy was fired for an illegal reason - and there is no indication of that - nothing will happen.

Boeheim in fact may not have had anything to do with the firing…but it stinks to high heaven.

This thread is absolutely bonkers.

- Brent was an at will employee fired for being overly negative.
- Levine's interview was dumb and unnecessary, and opened himself up to criticism.
- Boeheim and Wildhack most likely had nothing to do with it.
- This is not a scandal. Local sports radio people probably see it as an opportunity to take Axe's old job. There are no repercussions that will come out of this.
- There will be no lawsuits and this will blow over in a short period of time.

Would love to hear some theories on what the significant, real life repercussions for SU could actually be for something like this.

Just speculation. If hypothetically, JW was involved or if JB was involved.

1- If JW was involved I think he would most likely be fired. I would think this because of the Syracuse and Newhouse affiliation. That would look absolutely terrible for the university for the AD to have a talk show host fired because he didn’t like that he was negative about the program that he overseas. Newhouse is Syracuse’s calling card. Wouldn’t look good if your AD is getting broadcasters/journalists fired because he was bringing heat on the programs lack of success.

2- Jim’s already retired but it would definitely leave a lasting negative impression on his legacy. Most of the media already do not like him. This would just be the cherry on top. Not sure how much further it would go than that. But it would stain his legacy even more. That he couldn’t just walk away; he had to get a broadcaster fired on the way out.

I think if you look at it, it’s hard not to speculate that this had to do with Fridays presser. Why else, would they fire him Sunday evening out of the blue? I get it has to happen sometime; but the timing doesn’t really add up. Why now? Also, the comments by the CEO were just clueless. Why even make comments. First of all you don’t respond to the interview request. Next, if you do stupidly agree to the interview request you blame it on decreasing ratings. To say you fired a guy because of “negative” coverage and mention Jim owns some of the company is just clueless. Levine must have thought he was off record. There really isn’t any explanation why he would give the answers he did.

You are literally proving Levine's point. Axe was making things up to get the idiots to call in and talk about the same things by being overly negative. Levine was sick of it so he canned him.

People are acting like SU hired Chris Beard and said he was an amazing human being.

You sound like someone who has never listened to sports talk radio before.
I used to listen to WFAN in New York for years in the 90s, when I spent a lot of time driving up to see clients in Westchester. The stuff they used to say on the FAN were hundreds of times more abrasive, obnoxious and mean spirited than you would ever hear on some backwater radio station in Syracuse - and even that was too much for our weak-ass "media market". Oooh, it's too bad our team sucks. But we can't take someone talking about it; it hurts our feelings. Bunch of snowflakes in this town.

I tend to agree with bnoro on this one. The more I read the comments the more I think it’s making a mountain out of a mole hill and it’s basically Carlson sticking up for his buddy. Levine is basically say he is disagreeing with how the show is run and the content that’s being produced. That is the argument and I agree with it.

This thread is absolutely bonkers.

- Brent was an at will employee fired for being overly negative.
- Levine's interview was dumb and unnecessary, and opened himself up to criticism.
- Boeheim and Wildhack most likely had nothing to do with it.
- This is not a scandal. Local sports radio people probably see it as an opportunity to take Axe's old job. There are no repercussions that will come out of this.
- There will be no lawsuits and this will blow over in a short period of time.

You come out of the woodwork for the weirdest things.

You sound like someone who has never listened to sports talk radio before.
I used to listen to WFAN in New York for years in the 90s, when I spent a lot of time driving up to see clients in Westchester. The stuff they used to say on the FAN were hundreds of times more abrasive, obnoxious and mean spirited than you would ever hear on some backwater radio station in Syracuse - and even that was too much for our weak-ass "media market". Oooh, it's too bad our team sucks. But we can't take someone talking about it; it hurts our feelings. Bunch of snowflakes in this town.
I grew up in Mass during the peak of WEEI.

As you get older and learn how to discern what's BS and what's legitimate criticism you realize most of it isn't and it's a couple of hosts pushing a narrative.

And now EEI's ratings are tanking as people get sick of the constant negativity, which Levine is alluding to in his comments about people come up to him and say how negative ESPN Syracuse is.

This happens everywhere. They just don't say it out loud.
All the more amazing this mook Levine was dumb enough to say the quiet part out loud.

Some nerve of a sports radio host calling out a well past his prime coach for hanging on way too long despite the painful decline of the program for the last 10 years.

I can’t believe Axe didn’t toe the line and serve up the orange propaganda.

There is nothing that anyone has quoted saying Boeheim asked for Axe to be fired yet that doesn't stop people from blowharding it .
It’s the most obvious conclusion to draw. I’m not sure how you can’t see that. Boeheim was a part owner of the freaking radio station and is on record as disliking Axe.

Even if JB was completely innocent and his friend acted alone this is still the narrative that would emerge from the situation.

Occam’s Razor

Last edited:
As Tuttle said, if he's a radio personality, chances are high that he has an employment contract. The contract will likely have "for cause" and "not for cause" termination language.

Lack of notice, being fired on the phone, does not play well with juries, and probably doesn't comply with the contract.

If there's one rule in firing people (and I have had to fire my share in the past, too), it's "do it in person, and make them feel good about themselves on the way out the door".

This was an intentional kick in the teeth. Say what you will, Axe is going to get paid.
Agreed. settlement. I'm sure Ed and Jim have discussed Axe.

I grew up in Mass during the peak of WEEI.

As you get older and learn how to discern what's BS and what's legitimate criticism you realize most of it isn't and it's a couple of hosts pushing a narrative.

And now EEI's ratings are tanking as people get sick of the constant negativity, which Levine is alluding to in his comments about people come up to him and say how negative ESPN Syracuse is.
WEEI is tanking because the sports hub shows are much much better. This has been the case for the past 10 years. I love the sports hub guys, but you can’t tell me Felger and maz are not negative. Yet they get crazy numbers. It’s because they tell it like it is. And that includes being negative.

I don’t listen to axe, but I find it hard to believe axe was overly negative when the product has been poor. From what I saw on twitter he started to really attack the zone defense and was alluding to a change needing to be made. That was the pulse of the town though. Everyone had enough of the status que and the decline of the program. Did he take a shot at the end of the press confrence? Yes he did. But he is also a journalist that is trying to find out exactly what happened. That’s literally his job. He isn’t paid to be a puppet for the program. He is paid to be a journalist and bring coverage of the program to fans.

If Jim and/or Syracuse did this properly on Wednesday then he wouldn’t have had anything to question. Either 1, Jim admit he is retiring during his presser or 2- Jim and the school release a joint statement saying he is retired. Neither occurred, leading to more questions than answers. So I really don’t understand what Axe did that was so wrong. He was trying to get the answers to these questions that everyone was asking.

WEEI is tanking because the sports hub shows are much much better. This has been the case for the past 10 years. I love the sports hub guys, but you can’t tell me Felger and maz are not negative. Yet they get crazy numbers. It’s because they tell it like it is. And that includes being negative.

I don’t listen to axe, but I find it hard to believe axe was overly negative when the product has been poor. From what I saw on twitter he started to really attack the zone defense and was alluding to a change needing to be made. That was the pulse of the town though. Everyone had enough of the status que and the decline of the program. Did he take a shot at the end of the press confrence? Yes he did. But he is also a journalist that is trying to find out exactly what happened. That’s literally his job. He isn’t paid to be a puppet for the program. He is paid to be a journalist and bring coverage of the program to fans.

If Jim and/or Syracuse did this properly on Wednesday then he wouldn’t have had anything to question. Either 1, Jim admit he is retiring during his presser or 2- Jim and the school release a joint statement saying he is retired. Neither occurred, leading to more questions than answers. So I really don’t understand what Axe did that was so wrong. He was trying to get the answers to these questions that everyone was asking.
We all know what went down, but we will never get the truth told.
Like it or not Jim Boeheim is king of Syracuse.

Boeheim commented about Axe being "the only person" who was critical of him in one of those lame press conferences he gave before Boeheim was fired.

Levine wrote on Twitter the day before Axe was fired that Boeheim was going to be doing appearances on Galaxy stations next year.

The next day, the Galaxy employee most critical of their new radio star, Mr. Boeheim, gets fired.

You left out those parts. Those are some of the dots to connect.

Boeheim's last 2 months of talking to the public were a never-ending shtt show.
"Dots to connect ".
B4E32371-B72D-4973-A08C-759E55017654.gif

I tend to agree with bnoro on this one. The more I read the comments the more I think it’s making a mountain out of a mole hill and it’s basically Carlson sticking up for his buddy. Levine is basically say he is disagreeing with how the show is run and the content that’s being produced. That is the argument and I agree with it.
What's interesting is that on Twitter and other platforms are all these people (journalists/media people) who have spoken up to support Axe and disparage Levine. Yet, when pressed will admit they have never heard the show, except for snippets. Supposedly smart people talking before listening.

I don't think Levine would need to prove anything, but if he has any documentation that shows he previously talked to Axe about this, then Axe doesn't have a leg to stand on. In Albany we have had sports guys suddenly taken off the air (Lindsley, Goz). Not sure of the facts as I'm not a regular listener, but this is not uncommon. Hadn't Stern and Imus both been fired earlier in their career.

Radio is probably a little different than most jobs, but if your boss is not happy with the things you are saying then there probably is a clause in the contract allowing you to be terminated. I'm sure if someone googled it, you could find examples of media contracts online.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom