On The Block no more | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

On The Block no more

GMac BET title. Which was our second in a row.

6 OT game(followed by another OT win and gutty finals appearance)

2013 BET finals run in the last real BET.

2013 final four.

2016 final four.

2010 and 12 seasons.

2014 25-0 start and Ennis shot.

Lol at only naming the negatives from the last 20 years. Crap like that does a disservice to those with legit gripes.
Yeah I was thinking he said 10. That was much worse

2013 final four.

2016 final four.

2010 and 12 seasons.

Lol at only naming the negatives from the last 20 years. Crap like that does a disservice to those with legit gripes.

Not to mention including football imploding but not mentioning the Babers postgame speech after Va Tech that went super viral, followed up the next year by beating Clemson and another postgame speech that went viral. Two crazy good publicity moments for the program.

2013 final four.

2016 final four.

2010 and 12 seasons.

Very few of what I listed were on-the-field stories - those generally have less impact than the off the field stories as far as national perception. If we’re going to include your list, we need to add on every time Syracuse football imploded on national TV over the last two decades - which was basically every time they were on - along with the steady drumbeat of “JB needs to retire” for the last two months.

I’ll stand by what I said, as someone who has lived most of the last two decades outside of NY - the reputation of Syracuse is FAR worse than it was in 2003. And a lot of that is due to regularly screwing up things like this, which were completely avoidable.

He wasn’t defamed! He was fired. For being negative towards a customer. No one said anything approaching defamation. Anyone who brought that case would have to pay legal fees, and maybe sanctions, for bringing a frivolous action.
Holy , you all are still talking legal crap.

Unless any of you are seeing a dime, who the flock cares?

Very few of what I listed were on-the-field stories - those generally have less impact than the off the field stories as far as national perception. If we’re going to include your list, we need to add on every time Syracuse football imploded on national TV over the last two decades - which was basically every time they were on - along with the steady drumbeat of “JB needs to retire” for the last two months.

I’ll stand by what I said, as someone who has lived most of the last two decades outside of NY - the reputation of Syracuse is FAR worse than it was in 2003. And a lot of that is due to regularly screwing up things like this, which were completely avoidable.
1. Nobody cares about Syracuse football nationally, anymore. They aren’t paying attention to our L’s there anymore. It’s not even a topic of conversation. Just like people in Syracuse or anywhere else haven’t been talking about…..the downfall of Colorado football the last 25 years.

2. Yes, we’re a big time hoops program that hasn’t been getting it done lately. But last 20 years is just an absurd timeline to try to crap on our hoops program. We were one of the best programs in the country for a solid 10 of those 20 years.

Not to mention including football imploding but not mentioning the Babers postgame speech after Va Tech that went super viral, followed up the next year by beating Clemson and another postgame speech that went viral. Two crazy good publicity moments for the program.

What happened in the next big game after Va Tech? Two weeks later we got blown off the field on national TV by Clemson. We beat Clemson…but went 4-8. We had a great year in 2018 - then got blown out by Maryland and Clemson on national TV in September and returned to irrelevance. We started 6-0 and got good publicity - then blew an engine and died.

That’s the reality around most of the “good” stories - they succeeded in drawing more attention to the next negative story which probably reinforced the current national perception:

1) Syracuse football is DOA
2) Syracuse basketball used to be good but is irrelevant today (we’ll call this “we’re on the UNLV/DePaul/Georgetown” path).
3) We “lack institutional control”. In every conceivable way.

What happened in the next big game after Va Tech? Two weeks later we got blown off the field on national TV by Clemson. We beat Clemson…but went 4-8. We had a great year in 2018 - then got blown out by Maryland and Clemson on national TV in September and returned to irrelevance. We started 6-0 and got good publicity - then blew an engine and died.

That’s the reality around most of the “good” stories - they succeeded in drawing more attention to the next negative story which probably reinforced the current national perception:

2) Syracuse basketball used to be good but is irrelevant today (we’ll call this “we’re on the UNLV/DePaul/Georgetown” path).
We’re legitimately nothing like UNLV, DePaul, or Georgetown. In any way. Ridiculous comparisons.

If you want to try to drop us from the Michigan State, Louisville(wait, they won like 4 games, they must be dropped?), Arizona, etc, class we’ve been in…,,,

the most you could do is put us with Illinois, Arkansas, Purdue, Florida…..who? Some of them are even good right now.

Just say you mostly follow football and call it a day.

How do we know when his contract ended and that he wasn’t paid every thing under his contract

He got fired on less than 24 hours notice with no allegation of "for cause" termination.
Therefore, the contract wasn't over.

He might get offered a buy-out, but he'll probably get 10x as much by hiring a lawyer to allege wrongful termination. There is so much media reaction already to condition a jury how to view his termination.

Does Levine want to be deposed? Does he want to be asked under oath about whether Boeheim asked him to ax Axe?

What would that do to Boeheim's reputation to have to go through a court case about whether he pressured his friend to fire a member of the media who had been "too critical" of the faltering old coach?

People talking out of their butts about legal things because the grew up watching Matlock bothers the hell out of me.

There are a LOT of lawyers on this site, and just like doctors, lawyers all have their own specialties.

I don't know shtt about family law, and another guy might not know anything about contracts, or labor law, or defamation.

But don't kid yourself; there are a lot of experts in their respective fields on this board.

Maybe he is trying to get the true story. Imagine that.
But he didn’t get the true story. He spoke in codes and suggested there was more left out...and then proceeded to not reveal what was left out.

I guarantee not a single soul outside of the Syracuse football realm knows what happened after the Virginia Tech or Clemson games. You can't name only the negative things. It does not work that way.

They were pussycats when they wrote the out of bounds series that got the school put on probation back in the early 90's?
Sadly, that could never happen today.
Almost every local newspaper has been gutted.
Almost no one is doing investigations.

Holy , you all are still talking legal crap.

Unless any of you are seeing a dime, who the flock cares?
He got fired on less than 24 hours notice with no allegation of "for cause" termination.
Therefore, the contract wasn't over.

He might get offered a buy-out, but he'll probably get 10x as much by hiring a lawyer to allege wrongful termination. There is so much media reaction already to condition a jury how to view his termination.

Does Levine want to be deposed? Does he want to be asked under oath about whether Boeheim asked him to ax Axe?

What would that do to Boeheim's reputation to have to go through a court case about whether he pressured his friend to fire a member of the media who had been "too critical" of the faltering old coach?
Again, you don’t know how that industry works. No notice terminations are the norm not the exception. That being the case his contract, if he had one, almost certainly gave Galaxy that right.

2. Yes, we’re a big time hoops program that hasn’t been getting it done lately. But last 20 years is just an absurd timeline to try to crap on our hoops program. We were one of the best programs in the country for a solid 10 of those 20 years.
I think the main thing is we have been just above a .500 team since the 14-15 season. Sure we had a final 4 run and a sweet 16, but we were known for being on the bubble for like 4 straight years and 5 seasons we didn’t make the tournament. I think we all took for granted being a shoe in for tourney it was just a matter of seeding. Once you start stacking unsuccessful season after unsuccessful season it gets harder to get back to relevancy the longer it goes. It just seems like those days are so far away now. The worst part was the quick drop off coinciding with the departure of Hop and the drop off in recruiting. I wasn’t in favor of a hire from within since I’ve never seen a continuity hire from a program on a steep decline but now that he is “still” we have to hope for the best. I didn’t see the recruiting improving with Gerry and Griff but Red seems to be making the right moves to hopefully getting us back to recruiting like we were accustomed too. I definitely don’t think it’s a certainty we get back to our pre 13-14 status but at least we have a chance now.

I think the main thing is we have been just above a .500 team since the 14-15 season. Sure we had a final 4 run and a sweet 16, but we were known for being on the bubble for like 4 straight years and 5 seasons we didn’t make the tournament. I think we all took for granted being a shoe in for tourney it was just a matter of seeding. Once you start stacking unsuccessful season after unsuccessful season it gets harder to get back to relevancy the longer it goes. It just seems like those days are so far away now. The worst part was the quick drop off coinciding with the departure of Hop and the drop off in recruiting. I wasn’t in favor of a hire from within since I’ve never seen a continuity hire from a program on a steep decline but now that he is “still” we have to hope for the best. I didn’t see the recruiting improving with Gerry and Griff but Red seems to be making the right moves to hopefully getting us back to recruiting like we were accustomed too. I definitely don’t think it’s a certainty we get back to our pre 13-14 status but at least we have a chance now.
Since 14-15, F4, Nit, S16, Rd64, Covid, S16, No bid, no bid.

Made the post season 5 of 7 years there was a tourney.

Since 14-15, F4, Nit, S16, Rd64, Covid, S16, No bid, no bid.

Made the post season 5 of 7 years there was a tourney.
We were not making the tournament COVID year, good try removing that year.

3 of those years we did make it we were one of the last teams in. 10, 11, 11 play in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom