On The Block no more | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

On The Block no more

I think the clincher was two days of Axe ridiculing the coach for his comments after the win over Wake. Expressed appreciation for the fans in attendance and said something to the effect that they were the true supporters and that the 22 people who call talk radio complaining probably don’t come to the game. Not the best wording but Axe focused on the 22 people part, and went to the mattresses defending “his people” and saying Boeheim had completely lost it. Literally all he talked about for two days and he consistently used ridiculing and demeaning language referring to Boeheim.

Frankly I think a business owner has a right to choose not to spend advertising dollars on media that he (or she) takes offense to. I listened to the show regularly put stopped after those two days. He really went off the rails IMHO and all I could think of was Marius at the barricade in Les Mis!
Wow I didn’t realize Axe went so hard after Boeheim like that.Sorta changes the narrative if Axe was legit off the rails.

Does anyone who listened second this take ?

Are those shows archived?

Wow I didn’t realize Axe went so hard after Boeheim like that.Sorta changes the narrative if Axe was legit off the rails.

Does anyone who listened second this take ?

Are those shows archived?
They are. I assume this is one of the those Consig is referring to.

You can change to other days just changing the day number in the URL.

I’m expecting a front page story in Sundays paper regarding the events of last week. I’m not sure if it’ll include the Axe aspect, I would think so since Levine essentially called out the paper.

Might also get an editorial about it.

I’m expecting a front page story in Sundays paper regarding the events of last week. I’m not sure if it’ll include the Axe aspect, I would think so since Levine essentially called out the paper.

this stuff sells

Think he was too tough on Boeheim?

Here's what being tough on a coach really looks like:

This thought that any media was too tough on JB cracks me up. They were all pussycats for years and then when production started slipping and JB got out over his skis with his ego they started firing back. The dumbest implication in the whole Axe scandal was JB thinking the turn out for Wake was to support him.

Last edited:
Wetzel and Forde spent the first 10 minutes of a very popular podcast talking about it.

And they've been on Axe's radio show and thought he was good. They have fairly unkind things to say about Levine. Amazing that a nationally well-known podcast hosted by national well-known sportswriters would spend this amount of time on a local radio broadcaster story. Obviously the Jim Boeheim angle is the hook.

I get that a lot of you are invested in this, but as someone who lives 90-minutes down the Thruway I gotta tell y’all it’s a non-story. Nobody cares. If it wasn’t for this board I would have never heard of it.

Brent - pokes the bear, fa&fo

Jim - threw his money around and the big bully baby got Brent fired, are we really surprised

I get that a lot of you are invested in this, but as someone who lives 90-minutes down the Thruway I gotta tell y’all it’s a non-story. Nobody cares. If it wasn’t for this board I would have never heard of it.

Brent - pokes the bear, fa&fo

Jim - threw his money around and the big bully baby got Brent fired, are we really surprised
I don’t get these “nobody cares” takes. When your point of reference is just you.

honestly, I saw more people in involved in sports tweet about this vs Autry...so based on that, I guess “nobody cares who our new coach is”?

i don't want to listen to a show about how mid pack ACC is really kinda good and early tourney exits and missing the dance are to be expected ...but did you see juli's sweater ...to die for ??? what i want is the truth. and sometimes it hurts.
the few podcasts i've watched is about 50% axe reading poster comments.
he read them all good or bad. great journalist ? no. fair ? i'd say yes.
if the powers that be don't like the blowback...well give us a better experience.

Last edited:
This thought that any media was too tough on JB cracks me up. They were all pussycats for years and then when production started slipping and JB got out over his skis with his ego they started firing back. The dumbest implication in the whole Axe scandal was JB thinking the turn out for Wake was to support him.
They were pussycats when they wrote the out of bounds series that got the school put on probation back in the early 90's?

They were pussycats when they wrote the out of bounds series that got the school put on probation back in the early 90's?
Stand corrected - 30 years ago they were lions and tigers.

But who reads a paper these days besides senior citizens?

I think the clincher was two days of Axe ridiculing the coach for his comments after the win over Wake. Expressed appreciation for the fans in attendance and said something to the effect that they were the true supporters and that the 22 people who call talk radio complaining probably don’t come to the game. Not the best wording but Axe focused on the 22 people part, and went to the mattresses defending “his people” and saying Boeheim had completely lost it. Literally all he talked about for two days and he consistently used ridiculing and demeaning language referring to Boeheim.

Frankly I think a business owner has a right to choose not to spend advertising dollars on media that he (or she) takes offense to. I listened to the show regularly put stopped after those two days. He really went off the rails IMHO and all I could think of was Marius at the barricade in Les Mis!
I certainly don’t think Axe “Went off the rails”. It’s a talk show how isn’t he going to talk about JB taking a shot at him and his show. Boeheim brought it upon himself for everything Axe stated those 2 days. I’m far from the biggest Axe fan out there but he got screwed because of Mr. I’m never wrong had to get his shots in on a day that was supposed to be celebrating Hak, Gerry, and the 2003 team.

Boeheim was delusional enough to think those people were there because they wanted to see him continue to coach. Talk about not reading the room correctly. His attitude and behavior over the years, including this year have been embarrassing.

I hate listening to Homer’s and if that’s what they want on Galaxy I won’t be listening. I hardly think Axe is overly negative and even if he has been Syracuse sports hasn’t given him much to be positive about over the last decade so it’s hard to really blame him .

But who reads a paper these days besides senior citizens?
What's more? Subscribers to the Post-Standard or people who listen to local sports talk radio. Both numbers have to be a shell of what they were 10 or 20 years ago.

I hate listening to Homer’s and if that’s what they want on Galaxy I won’t be listening. I hardly think Axe is overly negative and even if he has been Syracuse sports hasn’t given him much to be positive about over the last decade so it’s hard to really blame him .
There are other local shows, correct? How have their hosts handled the last two basketball seasons and how did they handle them previous to that.

Axe was the only one fired, so did he take a more negative approach than the other hosts?

Wetzel and Forde spent the first 10 minutes of a very popular podcast talking about it.

They we dead on too. People think Axe went hard they should listen to this. Plus they make the point again there hasn’t really been much positive stuff going on with Syracuse sports.

There are other local shows, correct? How have their hosts handled the last two basketball seasons and how did they handle them previous to that.

Axe was the only one fired, so did he take a more negative approach than the other hosts?
Every host I here is far more negative than Axe. Granted he is the only one I listen consistently but I’ve heard student shows on the radio where they absolutely want to burn the program down.

The thing that concerns me is in the last twenty years, what positive story happened that got at least a little national attention? What ones were negative? The stories I can think of:

One horse town, football imploding, 2003 natty, ACC fiasco, Bernie Fine, Syracuse annual bubble watch, Fab Melo, probation, wow Syracuse has been bad since they joined the ACC…and Brent Axe. Almost all of those are negative. My gut feel based on conversations with casual fans well outside NY is that 20 years of only negative attention has severely degraded the athletics reputation of Syracuse nationally. It would be nice if something like this - which was completely avoidable - didn’t happen. This isn’t a hugely relevant story nationally, and it will probably be completely off the radar by Monday - but lots of little stories with small impact have added up to a significant negative impact over two decades.

The thing that concerns me is in the last twenty years, what positive story happened that got at least a little national attention? What ones were negative? The stories I can think of:

One horse town, football imploding, 2003 natty, ACC fiasco, Bernie Fine, Syracuse annual bubble watch, Fab Melo, probation, wow Syracuse has been bad since they joined the ACC…and Brent Axe. Almost all of those are negative. My gut feel based on conversations with casual fans well outside NY is that 20 years of only negative attention has severely degraded the athletics reputation of Syracuse nationally. It would be nice if something like this - which was completely avoidable - didn’t happen. This isn’t a hugely relevant story nationally, and it will probably be completely off the radar by Monday - but lots of little stories with small impact have added up to a significant negative impact over two decades.

I get your point, but you are missing a few positives.

the Buddy sweet 16 run got a ton of pub.

and win over Uva in elite 8 was major news

I get your point, but you are missing a few positives.

the Buddy sweet 16 run got a ton of pub.

and win over Uva in elite 8 was major news
GMac BET title. Which was our second in a row.

6 OT game(followed by another OT win and gutty finals appearance)

2013 BET finals run in the last real BET.

2013 final four.

2016 final four.

2010 and 12 seasons.

2014 25-0 start and Ennis shot.

Lol at only naming the negatives from the last 20 years. Crap like that does a disservice to those with legit gripes.

You know what? He has enough facts right now to get into court. He has enough to make pretty much all of them look bad. He already has the press on his side. He'll get a very nice settlement, or else some people are going to look really bad in the press, even worse than they look now.
How do we know when his contract ended and that he wasn’t paid every thing under his contract

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom