On The Block no more | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

On The Block no more

When 97 first started they had a young programmer and they had some really fresh content. Then he and the other young guy left and brought over all the people from the last failing network.

It sucks to lose your job, feel for him and his family.

The problem I had with axe for the past few years is it seemed a little lazy. Basically just putting out an article and then discussing it. The H0T Takes thing was so stale. He just seemed to be going through the motions.

I don’t listen to that station unless it is local. ESPN radio nationally is horrible. 1490 has way better national shows.

As someone who does not live in Syracuse, I have to ask: why do a lot of people on this board seem to dislike Axe?
He is corny and uninformed, he is still living in the 1980s, and not understanding the modern sports scene, tries to be funny but it comes off as cringe-worthy. I could keep going.

I'm not local so I didn't listen regularly, But in the clips I saw on the internet, he did seem to take forever to say something that could have been said in 10 seconds.

That's how I feel about Rachel Maddow.

That’s a defeatist attitude. There’s tons of people better - I dealt with him when I was a student covering the team and he was an embarrassment. He hasn’t gotten much better.

Kind of like our coaching "search", according to many people on here: "we couldn't get anybody better."

What did he say to Boeheim that was so offensive? I’m out of the loop

A lot of hate for Brent on here. Sometimes not sure why, I think we need multiple angles of sports media. Brent’s show complimented orange nation well I thought. Orange nation is a little more light hearted and Axe seems more opinionated which is nice regardless of if I agreed or not. That’s what makes sports radio, the dialog and back and forth. The opinions and trying to rebuttal those opinions. Overall, I thought Brent filled a great role for local coverage. I hope we have someone step up and fill that 4-6pm slot soon. Good luck to Brent and whomever fills that slot.

Who do we have on radio anymore to listen to? There just isn’t enough content

People disliked him but plenty of people listened to him.

Its a loss imo

Galaxy/ESPN are going to replace him with another host/show, no?

Looks like the website isn't updated yet...

Last edited:
Galaxy/ESPN are going to replace him with another host/show, no?

Looks like the website isn't updated yet...

Not sure, just my initial reaction is “of course”

Plenty of fans listen to him daily. Its not listening to the preach, its just keeping in touch with something orange that you can look forward to after work. I looked forward to it. I mean we got the iron clad fun from Brent

I'm appalled. I began listening to his old show on 1260 when I retired in 2009 and found him friendly and intelligent as well as passionate about Syracuse sports. His takes seemed right on target 90% of the time and I found him very entertaining to listen to. I missed him when he was just doing his Suracuse.com work and was glad when he came back. He's been a staple of my day ever since and now there's a hole in it.

I don't listen to the national shows because they know next to nothing about Syracuse sports and the local shows cover national issues as well as they do with a lot less 'attitude'.

Brian Higgins show is a good one and I hope he'll get that spot. It's certainly not going to be JB. That would be the last thing he'd ever do.
You called in a bunch right? If Im matching you up with who I think contributed to his show every now and then… you’re the man.

It was a fine show. This thread reminds me that people will complain about anything. Had several friends text me this morning if I’d heard about Axe. He had the business commute following

Not sure, just my initial reaction is “of course”

Plenty of fans listen to him daily. Its not listening to the preach, its just keeping in touch with something orange that you can look forward to after work. I looked forward to it. I mean we got the iron clad fun from Brent
That’s it man. Like it just fills a space for a lot of us local orange fans. I am not a sports radio critique like many here are, I just enjoy having options to hear more about my cuse sports. I would have hoped that galaxy had a plan to immediately fill that slot, let’s see.

A lot of hate for Brent on here. Sometimes not sure why, I think we need multiple angles of sports media. Brent’s show complimented orange nation well I thought. Orange nation is a little more light hearted and Axe seems more opinionated which is nice regardless of if I agreed or not. That’s what makes sports radio, the dialog and back and forth. The opinions and trying to rebuttal those opinions. Overall, I thought Brent filled a great role for local coverage. I hope we have someone step up and fill that 4-6pm slot soon. Good luck to Brent and whomever fills that slot.
It's not about "hate" for Brent. It's about RATINGS and REVENUE in his industry; obviously, his show didn't have enough of either.

The reason why he was lacking in Ratings and Revenue...well, read the posts in this thread, and that is the brutally honest feedback as to why people didn't listen.

If Brent is smart, he reads this thread, takes the feedback not personally but as constructive, and tries to adjust his style to give the audience what it wants whenever he gets another opportunity. Some people can put their emotions to the side and do that and improve. Others are too lost in their feelings and don't feel they have to change and double down on what they are already doing and failing at. We will see what Brent does moving forward.

I listen to Axe and the TNIAAM guys (Owen). Usually on YouTube, when I am washing dishes or whatever. It is nice to have something Syracuse related to listen to.

He could be too critical; they could be too much in the other direction. It was nice to have both.

All in all, this likely not a good thing. Possibly means 2 less hours or local sports talk radio.

I haven't listened to Axe much recently and never much cared for his style, but he always seemed passionate, and there's something to be said for that. He's a Mohawk Valley guy who grinded it out and has made a living doing something he loves. I hope he can continue to do so.

When you reference a “certain news channel”, you unintentionally demonstrate how effective a strategy it is. All the news channels use basically the same strategy. I wouldn’t dispute some are more successful at it (ratings show that) - but all of them appeal to the worst human instincts as their business model.

In 2023, the best you can do is aggregate narratives from a whole bunch of terrible sources and try to piece together reality from the biased reporting that’s available. Everything is effectively “fake news”…but there’s enough of it you can probably get at least a stone’s throw from reality if you’re willing to put in some effort.

Realizing they all suck is a critical first step.
If one truly believes everything is "fake news," the malign forces have won and we're all screwed.

As someone who does not live in Syracuse, I have to ask: why do a lot of people on this board seem to dislike Axe?
I really haven’t listened to him in years. I found his voice and delivery grating. And his on air persona seemed to just take all of the fun out of sports. Like it was supposed to be work to be a fan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom