On The Block no more | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

On The Block no more

Sheesh, some wild quotes in here!

“I had a problem with the content of the show,” Levine said. “I’m an SU fan. I’m sorry, but I bleed Orange. I’m not going to apologize for that, and I think a fair reading of the Orange is appropriate. I understand (Galaxy has) a business relationship (with Syracuse), that Coach (Jim) Boeheim and I are personal friends and he’s an investor in my company.

“I understand and acknowledge all of that. We’ve called it pretty fair, and I would argue we’ve been tough on SU when the on-field or off-field events warrant it. I just think over the past six months it took a different tone and became overly dark and negative. I don’t think that’s what Syracuse fans want to hear.”

“I had a problem with the content of the show,” Levine said. “I’m an SU fan. I’m sorry, but I bleed Orange. I’m not going to apologize for that, and I think a fair reading of the Orange is appropriate. I understand (Galaxy has) a business relationship (with Syracuse), that Coach (Jim) Boeheim and I are personal friends and he’s an investor in my company.

“I understand and acknowledge all of that. We’ve called it pretty fair, and I would argue we’ve been tough on SU when the on-field or off-field events warrant it. I just think over the past six months it took a different tone and became overly dark and negative. I don’t think that’s what Syracuse fans want to hear.”
Levine also calling out Syracuse.com for having an agenda against SU was pretty tone deaf

That’s really, really weak.

Sounds like Boeheim/Levine settling some family business... Not really surprised Axe was first on the list.

Pretty bold of Levine to basically come out and say it out loud tho...

Regardless of how good or not good I'd personally say Brent was, this is embarrassing.

JB really did like being insulated in his local kingdom, my god.

The Syracuse media scrutiny is nothing compared to most places. Wow.

Absolutely comical and pathetic. Have they looked at the programs recently? I mean there has not been a whole heck of a lot to be excited for recently except for our 6-0 start in football.

You can’t tell me after this he wasn’t fired because of Jim.

I'm not a huge Axe fan by any means but this utterly embarrassing by Levine.

I thought the timing was suspicious but now Carlson's article makes it obvious.

Unbelievable.

I thought Axe was honest. I started tuning in on Cuse Sports talk.com over the last year and half to hear what the hosts and callers thought of things as the bball programs decline was obvious.

Pauly is way too much of a pom pom waving homer who argues with callers that they cant be critical and we cant ever compete with Duke UNC, etc. Infante is just a news guy, who can read the news, has no opinion really which makes for boring radio. Same with Higgins, he tries to be cute but his show has no personality. Axe was paid to give his opinions and he started to be critical and folks couldn't handle it. This is basically the equivalent of state run media. Sad, pathetic.

When SU had their press conference last Friday, I thought things were pretty well explained in the conference. I thought Axe and one other press member basically let out a giant fart with their unnecessary questions that were just meant for agitating and poking SU. Wasn't needed there at that event and provided no good information as he knew it would not. I am not saying he should be fired over it but thought it was bush league stuff.

Not too surprising that negativity was got him canned. If we are being honest, listeners (and as a result advertisers) tend to shy away from shows that they view as overly negative. WAER was big on reminding students that listeners are more likely to be engaged with a show and return for multiple segments when the host is positive. This isn't to say that there weren't reasons to be negative, just that listeners tend not to seek out that type of discussion day after day.

What a JOKE. Now I know why Paulie always sees through orange glasses….. what president does this send to any radio personalities? Literally sounds like classic media these days. “Oh you don’t say what I like, bye”. Wow I can’t even believe how pathetic that take is. Say it’s the ratings, say we want a new direction on our most popular time a lot, say ANYTHING but “he’s too negative against the orange”. I’ve always wondered why steve infanti would pause and not comment on things when I feel like he really wanted to… I get it now. The validity of anything on that radio station has fallen heavily in my book.

Haha, this is some Grade A unadulterated BS from Levine in the article:

“Brent is a full-time employee of Syracuse.com,” Levine said. “I believe Syracuse.com has an agenda in regards to Syracuse University. I don’t know what that agenda is, but that agenda was manifesting itself on our airwaves. We have no agenda. We’re in business with Syracuse University, but we call it straight down the line. What I said to Brent was I wish he covered Syracuse University with the same affection that he covered the Buffalo Bills.”

"They have an agenda with SU but I don't know what it is." Just say it was a cost-cutting measure even if that wasn't the main motivation. Unless you're going to pay someone else as much or more than Axe, you can spin it that way.

Any healthy relationship between media partners and a team/school requires give and take. You can't constantly crap on the (especially if you have a rights deal to broadcast their games), but you can't be afraid to hold people to account either. Also, allowing Boeheim to be an investor while he was coach makes things rife for all sorts of shenanigans. What a clownshow.

And local sports talk ratings should never be higher than when there's something interesting going on, whether it's winning, losing or the multi-generational figurehead walking away (or being forced to walk away).

Just called into Manchild and Boy Green on 1260. They are about to interview Bud Poliquin. I asked Jim Lerch, (Manchild) to comment on Brent's situation and ask Bud about it.

Last edited:
I liked Axe if for no other reason than I love talk about Syracuse sports, regardless of the quality and I think Axe really was not bad at what he did. I hope he is not replaced by a national show. All the national syndicated radio shows want to talk about is the NFL all season long. We could be on the Thursday morning of the NCAA tournament and ESPN radio will be discussing Aaron Rodgers, every single year.

The idea that Axe was fired for "negative" commentary about SU sports is ridiculous. SU deserves negative commentary for the product that SU has put out for the past few years on the court and football field. I support SU sports and am a season ticket holder and have been through thick and thin but the idea that SU fans want more positive commentary on SU is about as tone deaf as JB making his 95% comment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom