On The Block no more | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

On The Block no more

correct - meant to comment underneath the tweet, but they had major beef at espn. to be fair though, BS did not get along with many of the executives there.
Agree. Not getting along with Bill Simmons hardly puts ADJW in exclusive company. Never have enjoyed Bill once he hit the big time and started taking himself too seriously.

Ironic - the super engaging and popular writer who hates to write and instead subjects everyone to his grating voice via podcasts and TV hits has a strong take on the popular local radio guy who inexplicably chooses to moonlight as a really grating writer.

If one could harness Axe and Sportsguy's two distinct skillsets, along with ostensible bitterness toward Wildhack, you'd really have something there.

Add it to the list. Not a good look for anyone. A lawsuit could be in the works.

Like him or not, Simmons has a MEGAPHONE when it comes to this stuff.

He has identified and grown more talent than a lot of people, was podcasting back in the mid aughts, basically made Page 2 a thing for ESPN and created Grantland and 30 for 30.

Spotify paid him 9 figures for The Ringer.

This is not the first time he's gone after Wildhack and it won't be the last, but it also opens the door for a LOT of other people to pile on.

This whole situation with JB has been a problem for a while, and it falls on JB and Wildhack. This is a problem.

If one truly believes everything is "fake news," the malign forces have won and we're all screwed.

“Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect is as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray’s case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward—reversing cause and effect. I call these the “wet streets cause rain” stories. Paper’s full of them.

In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story, and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about Palestine than the baloney you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know.”
Michael Crichton (1942-2008)

I have yet to read or see a news story about which I had intimate knowledge which was even remotely close to accurate. As a result, based on the objective evidence available to me I can confidently say Crichton and I are correct - and you are most certainly not.

Like him or not, Simmons has a MEGAPHONE when it comes to this stuff.

He has identified and grown more talent than a lot of people, was podcasting back in the mid aughts, basically made Page 2 a thing for ESPN and created Grantland and 30 for 30.

Spotify paid him 9 figures for The Ringer.

This is not the first time he's gone after Wildhack and it won't be the last, but it also opens the door for a LOT of other people to pile on.

This whole situation with JB has been a problem for a while, and it falls on JB and Wildhack. This is a problem.

Yeah, including Wildhack feels like a pile on. I don't see where he fits into this decision (but I obviously don't know the whole story).

Simmons taking a shot because he can. And there's really no good way to retaliate without making things worse.

You don't have to enjoy Simmons to know he may be right with his take on Wildhack at ESPN.
True but if Simmons has a history of conflict with others (no idea if he does or doesn't by the way), he then has a credibility problem. Also I am not sure I see a linkage here to JW. JB certainly but not Wildhack which means Simmons is taking the opportunity to take a shot and really isn't all the riled up by the actual story. Just from my view.

Yeah, including Wildhack feels like a pile on. I don't see where he fits into this decision (but I obviously don't know the whole story).

Simmons taking a shot because he can. And there's really no good way to retaliate without making things worse.

I think it's a fair shot, honestly.

It's all connected. This whole JB retirement has been mishandled except for Friday which was awesome for us hardcore fans, but sort of a band aid for the larger picture.

I loved it. Cried during it.

But it doesn't make the fact that JB was allowed to basically blow up a second transition and act like a petulant child. It's all connected. I don't think this is a reach.

This is how you make a narrative worse.

I thought JW did a nice job trying to clean things up on Friday and start a new chapter and then this move happens.
JB made it easy for JW and the University to clean up that mess last Friday, but it seems they didn't count on Ed Levine stepping in and doing and saying stupid things. Even if the guy was determined to dump Axe, he could have done it more discreetly, intelligently and with better timing. And I thought these Newhouse people were supposed to be smart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom