On The Block no more | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

On The Block no more

True but if Simmons has a history of conflict with others (no idea if he does or doesn't by the way), he then has a credibility problem. Also I am not sure I see a linkage here to JW. JB certainly but not Wildhack which means Simmons is taking the opportunity to take a shot and really isn't all the riled up by the actual story. Just from my view.

Wildhack mishandled the JB transition for a while. The Friday even was a band aid for us hardcore fans. JB's petulance leaked into this thing with Axe with a company that is tethered to SU and its sports team.

This action is part of a larger trend that was allowed under Wildhack. This, specifically, isn't under his purview, but it sure as all get out within the universe of the situation as a whole.

BTW, this won't just be Simmons.

Simmons just dgaf.

The Syracuse media insulated JB forever. FOREVER. National people don't care. JB loved Mike and Donna because the hardest he ever got hit by them was a nothingburger in the extensive ecosystem of media scrutiny.

My scribbled notes on what was said:

Bud: "When you own the shop you can do what you want. He (Ed Levine) exercised his power. He wacked us pretty quick. (Bud and the Manchild was on ESPN 1200 for a time in the last decade before Levine kicked them off and they returned to The Score 1260) It was because I did not announce retirement (from the show) on the radio but in Syracuse.com. He's an imperial guy. The reality is that he wanted a "Happy Happy, Joy" style sports radio talk show. That's a little shallow. When you own the shop, you can do what you want. "
"I don't really know why Ed got so angry. To me, it was a mutual parting of the ways. Yelling and screaming is distasteful to me as an adult. I was very happy to leave and come back to The Score. I was heartbroken to leave 1260, (for 1200). It was the hardest decision I ever had to make. Today's article is all about content. I'm happy to give informed, fact-based opinions and Brent gave fact-based opinions."

Bud: "I didn't listen to Brent's show but you want to stimulate conversation, not just talk about the glory of SU Athletics. I don't understand the motivation."

Boy Green (Paul Edson): "Jim Boeheim complained about a 'local talk show host'. Would he have flexed his power in that way, (to have Brent fired)?"

Bud: "He would have some power and authority, but I would guess not. No, I don't think so. I don't think he would have exercised his clout."

Manchild: "He has 21% ownership. (Bud later correct this to 21% investment in the group that owns the station). Isn't that a conflict of interest? It seems like a really bad place to be."

Bud: "It's a little dicey. That's probably all the interest I have into probing into this. The owner made the rules."

Manchild: "I'll remind the few listeners over there they have the option of migrating over here to listen to opinions (that aren't tied to the University). Tell them what you think or come on over here." [Or do both?]

Bud: "There's no editing copy (at 1260), so long as you stay within the bounds of decency."

Manchild: "I like decency. we're pretty decent people".

A few observations of my own:

Matt Park is the one at 1200 whose job is most directly on the line with what he says. He's good at sliding his own opinions and on what transpires into his play-by-play. On the coach's chows, he seeks relevant answers but very gently. And he's not a 'homer', even though he bleeds orange. He knows that, if he were overly critical or pissed off either of the two coaches, he'd be seeking employment elsewhere. He tried a show called "In the booth", which was only an hour and had little room for call-ins and it didn't work out because he still had to do some blade-running. He's a good guy and I enjoy listening to him, although he needs to tell us the result of a play first and a description of it afterwards.

Orange Nation is a good show and they are unafraid to take on any issues. I've never doubted that Steve Infante and Paulie Scibilia are saying what they really think. Paulie is a JB loyalist and that's fine. Steve is more of a journalist. Nether caused Levine any problems with their takes. Brent seemed like he had enough of JB's results and comments in recent weeks and his increasing impatience was evident. The three of them actually made a good line-up because of their different points of view but Levine elected to keep the middle and the right and get rid of the left, if you view it like a political spectrum.

I like Brian Higgins a lot and would listen if he got Brent's spot. He has a sly sense of humor and a subtle way of making his points. He's always calm and cool.

One other comment on the Syracuse.com article:

"The day before Levine told Axe that he’d been fired, the Galaxy president posted on Facebook that Boeheim will be appearing on multiple Galaxy Media radio stations over the next year...Levine said that Boeheim has one year left on a two-year agreement with Galaxy that he had already signed. Levine said the Facebook post announcing Boeheim’s involvement was just promoting his presence on Galaxy stations and not announcing a new deal."

I don't think Jim's going to get his own show, although I'd tune in for that. But it could be that this contract coincides with his contract as SU's basketball coach, which means he did have another year to go, for those who were wondering. It will be interesting to see what kind of commentary he provides, since he won't want to be critical, either and suggested on his show that commentary wasn't part of his retirement plan.

Some background the Manchild provided: He had Brent have been friends for years. In fact, Jim hired Brent for his first job in the Syracuse area and they created the "On the Block" Show" to follow the original "Bud and the Manchild Show" on 820, (I believe this was the early 2000's - I was still slaving for SSAA at the Federal Building at the time and didn't listen to either.) Bud used to do a "Brent and Bud" show on You-Tube for a time.

JB made it easy for JW and the University to clean up that mess last Friday, but it seems they didn't count on Ed Levine stepping in and doing and saying stupid things. Even if the guy was determined to dump Axe, he could have done it more discreetly, intelligently and with better timing. And I thought these Newhouse people were supposed to be smart.

Let's be real, the connective tissue for all of this is JB.

And the issue isn't if Brent was great or not. I don't think anyone would say he's going to get a national radio drive time spot. I hope they fill the spot with a team that really loves Syracuse sports myself.

The issue, like with the transition stuff, is the commentary about the mishandling of the situation. The story about the story.

And you can say this is Galaxy and Levine and try to play it off, but that only works for dealing with the local stuff. National people don't need to protect themselves like local media does.

Now they can pile on, rip Wildhack, rip JB and make us look bad.

Sheesh, some wild quotes in here!

“I had a problem with the content of the show,” Levine said. “I’m an SU fan. I’m sorry, but I bleed Orange. I’m not going to apologize for that, and I think a fair reading of the Orange is appropriate. I understand (Galaxy has) a business relationship (with Syracuse), that Coach (Jim) Boeheim and I are personal friends and he’s an investor in my company.

“I understand and acknowledge all of that. We’ve called it pretty fair, and I would argue we’ve been tough on SU when the on-field or off-field events warrant it. I just think over the past six months it took a different tone and became overly dark and negative. I don’t think that’s what Syracuse fans want to hear.”
I stated earlier that I wasn’t a fan of Axe. That’s still true. But this is beyond bonkers. Sounds like Ed wants Galaxy to be a Syracuse propaganda company.

Wildhack mishandled the JB transition for a while. The Friday even was a band aid for us hardcore fans. JB's petulance leaked into this thing with Axe with a company that is tethered to SU and its sports team.

This action is part of a larger trend that was allowed under Wildhack. This, specifically, isn't under his purview, but it sure as all get out within the universe of the situation as a whole.

BTW, this won't just be Simmons.

Simmons just dgaf.

The Syracuse media insulated JB forever. FOREVER. National people don't care. JB loved Mike and Donna because the hardest he ever got hit by them was a nothingburger in the extensive ecosystem of media scrutiny.

Seems like you're connecting a bunch of dots, but whatever, maybe you're right.

JB's transition was always going to be messy. Because of JB. I'm pleasantly surprised they were able to have that closure press conference in just 2 days.

I didn’t love Axe. He had some great thoughts/perspectives, but it always felt like he took negative things one step than he needed to go just to get a rise out of people. There were a few times in recent years where he made a point about the basketball program being down that was really well-thought out/articulate, then he’d come back from break or take a caller to allow him to make a crappy sound bite that completely devalued his overall perspective.

If that was a part of the decision to fire him, I’d get it more. As a programmer you could have enough of the trolling/schtick, but firing him because he was critical of SU in a time when it was much deserved, that’s weak.

Seems like you're connecting a bunch of dots, but whatever, maybe you're right.

JB's transition was always going to be messy. Because of JB. I'm pleasantly surprised they were able to have that closure press conference in just 2 days.

It's closure to us, to be clear.

It sure doesn't seem like it was closure to JB.

I am not saying there is a direct knock on impact from Wildhack to Axe, but just because something doesn't have a causal relationship, doesn't mean it isn't correlated.

Also, Barstool just confirmed they are writing about this now.

(I hate Barstool, but it's more publicity about it)

I didn’t love Axe. He had some great thoughts/perspectives, but it always felt like he took negative things one step than he needed to go just to get a rise out of people. There were a few times in recent years where he made a point about the basketball program being down that was really well-thought out/articulate, then he’d come back from break or take a caller to allow him to make a crappy sound bite that completely devalued his overall perspective.

If that was a part of the decision to fire him, I’d get it more. As a programmer you could have enough of the trolling/schtick, but firing him because he was critical of SU in a time when it was much deserved, that’s weak.
You just pinpointed what "negative" meant.

"but it always felt like he took negative things one step than he needed to go just to get a rise out of people."

Seems I'm in the minority that thinks it's reasonable for an employer to terminate due to dissatisfaction with employee performance. I don't have a problem with the comments that were part of the tweet or view it as an act of silencing. They have the right to say who are the face of the company. Axe will land on his feet.

Say what you want… he has a large platform. And is successful. Therefore, it doesn’t matter in the public’s eye.
That’s fair. My point is he has a LONG track record of going after ESPN executives. And I am 100% confident that he has zero insight or connections with the Syracuse landscape. It’s a cheap shot against Wildhack and nothing more. Fire away at Levine, who deserves the criticism after those comments…

I stand by my statement- he may have a huge megaphone as said in another post but that doesn’t lend any credibility to what he says.

My scribbled notes on what was said:

Bud: "When you own the shop you can do what you want. He (Ed Levine) exercised his power. He wacked us pretty quick. (Bud and the Manchild was on ESPN 1200 for a time in the last decade before Levine kicked them off and they returned to The Score 1260) It was because I did not announce retirement (from the show) on the radio but in Syracuse.com. He's an imperial guy. The reality is that he wanted a "Happy Happy, Joy" style sports radio talk show. That's a little shallow. When you own the shop, you can do what you want. "
"I don't really know why Ed got so angry. To me, it was a mutual parting of the ways. Yelling and screaming is distasteful to me as an adult. I was very happy to leave and come back to The Score. I was heartbroken to leave 1260, (for 1200). It was the hardest decision I ever had to make. Today's article is all about content. I'm happy to give informed, fact-based opinions and Brent gave fact-based opinions."

Bud: "I didn't listen to Brent's show but you want to stimulate conversation, not just talk about the glory of SU Athletics. I don't understand the motivation."

Boy Green (Paul Edson): "Jim Boeheim complained about a 'local talk show host'. Would he have flexed his power in that way, (to have Brent fired)?"

Bud: "He would have some power and authority, but I would guess not. No, I don't think so. I don't think he would have exercised his clout."

Manchild: "He has 21% ownership. (Bud later correct this to 21% investment in the group that owns the station). Isn't that a conflict of interest? It seems like a really bad place to be."

Bud: "It's a little dicey. That's probably all the interest I have into probing into this. The owner made the rules."

Manchild: "I'll remind the few listeners over there they have the option of migrating over here to listen to opinions (that aren't tied to the University). Tell them what you think or come on over here." [Or do both?]

Bud: "There's no editing copy (at 1260), so long as you stay within the bounds of decency."

Manchild: "I like decency. we're pretty decent people".

A few observations of my own:

Matt Park is the one at 1200 whose job is most directly on the line with what he says. He's good at sliding his own opinions and on what transpires into his play-by-play. On the coach's chows, he seeks relevant answers but very gently. And he's not a 'homer', even though he bleeds orange. He knows that, if he were overly critical or pissed off either of the two coaches, he'd be seeking employment elsewhere. He tried a show called "In the booth", which was only an hour and had little room for call-ins and it didn't work out because he still had to do some blade-running. He's a good guy and I enjoy listening to him, although he needs to tell us the result of a play first and a description of it afterwards.

Orange Nation is a good show and they are unafraid to take on any issues. I've never doubted that Steve Infante and Paulie Scibilia are saying what they really think. Paulie is a JB loyalist and that's fine. Steve is more of a journalist. Nether caused Levine any problems with their takes. Brent seemed like he had enough of JB's results and comments in recent weeks and his increasing impatience was evident. The three of them actually made a good line-up because of their different points of view but Levine elected to keep the middle and the right and get rid of the left, if you view it like a political spectrum.

I like Brian Higgins a lot and would listen if he got Brent's spot. He has a sly sense of humor and a subtle way of making his points. He's always calm and cool.

One other comment on the Syracuse.com article:

"The day before Levine told Axe that he’d been fired, the Galaxy president posted on Facebook that Boeheim will be appearing on multiple Galaxy Media radio stations over the next year...Levine said that Boeheim has one year left on a two-year agreement with Galaxy that he had already signed. Levine said the Facebook post announcing Boeheim’s involvement was just promoting his presence on Galaxy stations and not announcing a new deal."

I don't think Jim's going to get his own show, although I'd tune in for that. But it could be that this contract coincides with his contract as SU's basketball coach, which means he did have another year to go, for those who were wondering. It will be interesting to see what kind of commentary he provides, since he won't want to be critical, either and suggested on his show that commentary wasn't part of his retirement plan.

Some background the Manchild provided: He had Brent have been friends for years. In fact, Jim hired Brent for his first job in the Syracuse area and they created the "On the Block" Show" to follow the original "Bud and the Manchild Show" on 820, (I believe this was the early 2000's - I was still slaving for SSAA at the Federal Building at the time and didn't listen to either.) Bud used to do a "Brent and Bud" show on You-Tube for a time.
I know you said earlier that JB getting his own show would be the last thing he would do, but it seems very likely from what Levine said.
Why are you so convinced he wouldn’t want that?

Axe was a di*k. The CEO didn't like his act. Axe got axed. Nothing really to see here.
Axe's question at the end of the Friday presser was d*ickish. But Axe as always been cordial to me whenever I have talked to him. I have listened to Axe talk to JB many times. JB often looked worse to me in those interactions, IMHO. JB would often make comments and then pretend that isn't what he meant when he had to take the comments back. We are not stupid. In addition, JB actually wanted us to believe that he never listened to Syracuse sports talk radio, he volunteered that he didn't listen it over and over again yet JB often knew exactly what Axe had said the previous day when he spoke to Axe. I wouldn't be surprised if JB read this board from time to time. LOL

Levine is an embarrassment. This is essentially censorship. And in any event, it reflects poorly on everybody.
Levine is free to run his businesses as he sees fit. He just stepped in it here with both feet, and his connections to the University and JB drags all parties into it with him.

The goal of a show is to push ratings.. if being on the negative side of most issues gets more ratings then maybe thats what they want to do.

I really never listened, and one reason was, why do i want to listen to negative thoughts about the program, instead of constructive thoughts about the program.

You dont have to agree with everything the school does to make comments about them. In the long run the better the program, the more people are going to tune in. If you try to tear the program down that doesnt help ratings.

That’s fair. My point is he has a LONG track record of going after ESPN executives. And I am 100% confident that he has zero insight or connections with the Syracuse landscape. It’s a cheap shot against Wildhack and nothing more. Fire away at Levine, who deserves the criticism after those comments…

I stand by my statement- he may have a huge megaphone as said in another post but that doesn’t lend any credibility to what he says.

You think a guy worth 9 figures, that was with ESPN from the early 2000s, was one of their major talents, content creators and talent growers and worked with Wildhack has zero insight in the Syracuse landscape and Wildhack?

Zero?

I fully disagree with that.

Levine is free to run his businesses as he sees fit. He just stepped in it here with both feet, and his connections to the University and JB drags all parties into it with him.
The CEO Levine and head coach of SU basketball can't stand the guy. I think it was Axe who stepped in his own poo. Much ado about nothing.

just to be clear...and maybe I’m not as I didn’t listen to his show much as all, but did over the last couple weeks off and on...

the “negativity” is that he wanted JB to step down, do I have that right? That’s tearing down a program? Asking for something that the majority of this board wanted to happen so we could move forward?

I understand what you’re saying… I just don’t think it matters in the public’s eye. When you have a bazillion followers, it is implied credibility. Would really like to know the beef between Simmons and Wildhack… anyone know?

I understand what you’re saying… I just don’t think it matters in the public’s eye. When you have a bazillion followers, it is implied credibility. Would really like to know the beef between Simmons and Wildhack… anyone know?
wildhack prob cancelled his Grantland bball show and/or took him off countdown

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom