One Good Thing About This Loss... | Syracusefan.com

One Good Thing About This Loss...

Ceerqqq

Scout Team
...is that Colgate put on a clinic for our players on how to do the thing we want to do with our offense to other teams. That, and it gave them a powerful lesson on the defensive challenges they will need to master this season if they want to beat the better teams on their schedule.

Now if you believe that this team will make no progress toward improving their play in both of these respects over the course of the season, then you will wail and gnash your teeth at the loss and you will predict more of the same, endlessly, cuz that's how you are...

But if you have any kind of appreciation for Boeheim's ability to develop teams over the course of a season--especially after what he was able to accomplish with last year's team--you'll realize that this team is going to improve over the next four months and that they will likely make steady progress in figuring out how to succeed against teams that follow Colgate's playbook.

Will we see some of that improvement as soon as Wednesday?

...is that Colgate put on a clinic for our players on how to do the thing we want to do with our offense to other teams. That, and it gave them a powerful lesson on the defensive challenges they will need to master this season if they want to beat the better teams on their schedule.

Now if you believe that this team will make no progress toward improving their play in both of these respects over the course of the season, then you will wail and gnash your teeth at the loss and you will predict more of the same, endlessly, cuz that's how you are...

But if you have any kind of appreciation for Boeheim's ability to develop teams over the course of a season--especially after what he was able to accomplish with last year's team--you'll realize that this team is going to improve over the next four months and that they will likely make steady progress in figuring out how to succeed against teams that follow Colgate's playbook.

We need a lead ball handler that can break down defenses off the dribble and attacking the rim both with a screen and without one.

Our defense isn’t good.

We will win if we can get our defense to be serviceable and/or have a few guys hitting their jumpers (so it’s not just a Joe carrying the load or just a Buddy, for example). We can win games just our scoring teams for sure.

Separately, Buddy needs to be the center of gravity for our team on offense in terms of getting looks. Always.

Unless JGIII and Buddy learn how to put their hands higher then their waists the beyond the arc defense will never get better.

I'm going to defend them just for a bit (and I know I'm probably the last poster expected to do this). Here is the thing, when you have to have a lot of effort on offense to get shots, it is going to wear you down. What I mean by this is that Joe and Buddy are taking a lot of shots that aren't in a free flowing offense OR based off of collapsing defenses based on driving, you are working a lot to get those shots up, especially as the game goes on.

Does this excuse Buddy and Joe? No. But they also aren't the most naturally gifted defenders, we aren't talking about MJ and Scottie. But they also are carrying a lot of the load on offense and with the way it's running right now, they will not be able to go full tilt on D every time down the floor.

You combine their ceiling as defenders with the burden they currently have with the types of shots we get in this offense and it's tough. Not sure there is an answer.

It's really hard to showcase just how important that top of zone defense is and how impactful really awesome defenders up there are because a lot of the impact is for things that don't happen. It's like the difference between a good DB in football having a lot of picks, but a great DB in football will never have the ball thrown his way, ya know?

Shouldn’t a hall of fame coach and better players be able to figure that out without getting schooled by an inferior coach, players and program?

I agree. We have veterans on this team, but we also have Jesse, Frank & Benny in the rotation, and these 3 should all develop over the course of the season. Jesse’s defense and rebounding will be the biggest component of improvement. Cole and Sy are figuring out their roles with this team.

The roof caved in against Colgate in the second half and we learned this team can’t press for any length of time. Have to see how they do against other teams, other styles, other game situations. Big week ahead.

Our offense was fine, the rebounding was terrible, embarrassing. We get better then it's fine if not will be a long season.
If we’re shooting below 36% from three and not making 10+ from out there I don’t see how we can win the game. You can score 85 and not have a good offensive effort.

If we’re shooting below 36% from three and not making 10+ from out there I don’t see how we can win the game. You can score 85 and not have a good offensive effort.

19 offensive rebounds and 18 second chance points. We were down 6 towards the end when Buddy watched a ball in front of him get grabbed by a Colgate player who kicked it out for a a 3. Inexcusable.

19 offensive rebounds and 18 second chance points. We were down 6 towards the end when Buddy watched a ball in front of him get grabbed by a Colgate player who kicked it out for a a 3. Inexcusable.
We’re lucky it wasn’t more than 18 second chance points.

Our zone sucks when it comes to rebounding it always has, it wasn’t magically going to get better with worse rebounding personnel. I’m willing to wager that we’ll have games were we give up more than 18 second chance points.

The way to overcome our glaring issues is to hit a lot of 3s at a high percentage. Any game we don’t we lose or it’s going to be close.

We’re lucky it wasn’t more than 18 second chance points.

Our zone sucks when it comes to rebounding it always has, it wasn’t magically going to get better with worse rebounding personnel. I’m willing to wager that we’ll have games were we give up more than 18 second chance points.

The way to overcome our glaring issues is to hit a lot of 3s at a high percentage. Any game we don’t we lose or it’s going to be close.

It's not a strong suit, but guys cannot be lazy. Hopefully a fire was lit. We cannot go out and score 110 points a night.

That infuriated me. Shots are going to be missed sometimes, but I can't stand lack of hustle.

It's not a strong suit, but guys cannot be lazy. Hopefully a fire was lit. We cannot go out and score 110 points a night.
You’re right, but if we can shoot better than we did (and how we should) and not give up the plethora of wide open shots we did then we win this game, even with the shoddy rebounding.

I’ve said since the beginning of the year that ANYONE can beat us, but we can literally beat anyone. The former has happened, the latter will.

Will be one of the most interesting seasons on record.

We need a lead ball handler that can break down defenses off the dribble and attacking the rim both with a screen and without one.

Our defense isn’t good.

We will win if we can get our defense to be serviceable and/or have a few guys hitting their jumpers (so it’s not just a Joe carrying the load or just a Buddy, for example). We can win games just our scoring teams for sure.

Separately, Buddy needs to be the center of gravity for our team on offense in terms of getting looks. Always.
One of my least favorite and unenjoyable teams ever, was the Andrew White/John Dillon team (forget the year) that could score w/ the best of them, but couldn't defend a lick.
I loathe teams like that...in any sport. Defense, even marginal, passably efficient defense, and that includes on the boards as well, has to be a part of a winning team.
If this year turns out to be a repeat of that team's defensive ineptitude- I'll have a long, boring winter ahead. JMHO

Last edited:
Basically, we're like an investment portfolio that is entirely invested in one asset... three point shooting. If that asset is performing well, we probably win. If it isn't performing well, we probably lose.

Captain Obvious here, but we need a more diversified portfolio in the form of a low-post threat or an athletic guard who can dribble drive when shots aren't falling.

I know the season is very young but I'm praying that someone like Symir can come around and be that ball handling athlete we desperately need.

Shouldn’t a hall of fame coach and better players be able to figure that out without getting schooled by an inferior coach, players and program?
Are you sure the coach and players are inferior

Basically, we're like an investment portfolio that is entirely invested in one asset... three point shooting. If that asset is performing well, we probably win. If it isn't performing well, we probably lose.

Captain Obvious here, but we need a more diversified portfolio in the form of a low-post threat or an athletic guard who can dribble drive when shots aren't falling.

I know the season is very young but I'm praying that someone like Symir can come around and be that ball handling athlete we desperately need.

Symir isn’t going to play over Joe or Buddy.

Unless JGIII and Buddy learn how to put their hands higher then their waists the beyond the arc defense will never get better.

You might want to watch the replay. That want the problem.

Agreed. I meant perhaps 15-20 min off the bench occasionally.

Granted we aren’t into the difficult games yet but he’s averaging 17mpg.

I have to agree this was one of the real low points in this dumpster fire. I was amazed we did not get that loose ball. No idea what was going through Buddy's head at the moment?

That sequence was massive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom