One of the hardest parts of this season | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

One of the hardest parts of this season

I hope things turn around because I love Syracuse athletics. But also because I love you guys and miss this board.

I think I feel the same way you do. The problem is that you and I enjoy the board almost as much as we enjoy the games, amirite? Since I found the board my pleasure in the game increased by 2.
I'm here first and foremost for the camaraderie. I came to the board through Dan Johnson and his postings and honor those that came before us. At some point humans endure losses of all kinds. Losing at sports is pretty tame in comparison.

Secondly, I come here for the analysis provided by many here. I find people here everyday that impress me with their understanding of sports, SU's involvement on many levels, recruiting, and views on the future.

I get the frustration but college sports are dynamic with changes most every day. I've enjoyed many good moments in following SU sports and a bunch of not so good moments as well. That won't change but I prefer to enjoy the ride...I like rollercoasters...

Do people really expect to go on a sports message board and have it be sunshine and roses all of the time? In a year like this, what do we talk about if not that the program has hit its lowest point under JB? I suppose we could wax nostalgic about the good ole days, but that makes more sense in the offseason. The China comment makes no sense. Nobody on here thinks the wins and losses of SU basketball make one bit of difference in the grand scheme of the world. But, if not for the extreme caring of the fanatics that follow the team, there would be no TV deals, no NIL, no huge coaching salaries, and no ginormous arena. If fans are supposed to care and cheer during the high times, some complaining in the low times is expected.

Yep. The board mood follows the team's performance. It always has. The added complication, though, is now we also have the feeling we're hostages in a situation where the hostage-taker seems to have all the leverage. Because we can't depend on a resolution to the situation, there's no relief to the frustration.

Well next year should be interesting if everyone returns and all our recruits show up. The odds on all that happening is slim, but I guess it would give JAB many options in what could be his last year of coaching.
See, after these last few years, I’ve lost a little faith in JAB. Some of his decisions have frankly left me befuddled and confused. Much more so because a lot of them have seemed so in conflict from the HOF’er that i THOUGHT I knew all these years.
Boeheim was always about defense first. His bench might’ve been short but it was always fair, in that you never got the impression he was willfully restricting players who were clearly better than one of his chosen starters.
I’m not so confident that this version of Jim Boeheim will give these incoming players a fair shot, or get the most out of them w/out the prerequisite criticisms and other nonsense. To be honest, I’m skeptical that he can.

IMO the negativity gets ramped up by the complete lack of accountability. When you hold the fanbase hostage they will lash out more. At the very least the assistant coaches should have been fired years ago given the lack of coaching and recruiting. If JB wants to stay on forever then fine, but he has lost the right to pick his assistants.

Just posted something similar before seeing yours.

One of the hardest parts of this season is I can't get on the board when we lose.

Ultimately, this is all here for our entertainment. But it's part of my life and I love basketball, our team, our coach, and all of you punks.

When we lose, I can't take the negativity, the bitching and moaning, the hyperbolic complaints, the calls for people's jobs, bashing kids who want to win more than you do giving it their all, etc. Just can't do it. I get this is how some vent and everyone is different. But in my mind we're still going to turn this season around. And if we don't, there's a billion people in China who don't even know what a Boeheim is.

The hardest part of the season is my inevitable self ban until the heat from a loss is over. Even in wins this year, the negativity from others isn't giving me joy, it's sucking it from me.

Realistic or not, call me a polyanna, I honestly don't care. This year sucks because the board is no longer the first thing I check when I wake up or go to sleep like it has been since the 90's. And that sucks. Hopefully come March we have more to cheer for and this place lightens up. If not, I guess I'll be around until the sky starts falling in football in early September and this place becomes another cesspool of negativity.

I hope things turn around because I love Syracuse athletics. But also because I love you guys and miss this board.
agree with you 100%. I get on and read a couple posters only,especially the upside and downside because SWC does a great job with his write ups and it helps me wrap my mind around what I just saw- or in some cases didn't see but in a box score. In the next day or two I may read a few more, but will mostly just skim through because of all the negativity. I notice there are some people noticeably absent who used to post, I suspect for the same reason, and it is a shame.

Igor wasn’t always wrong, but he was always annoying. He was an OG troll that today’s trolls can only aspire to one day become. He played the long game too. His stance and opinions went on for years and years.

RIP StudIgor
Igor was one big long run on sentence who did not know punctuation or capitalization. But he was fun to read, even if he was predictable.

JB has always relied on great athletes and iso ball. He still wants to play that way but he doesn’t have players capable of doing it. That’s what’s frustrating. He’s not taking advantage of this years abilities. Give this team to Virginia Tech’s coach and see what happens. I’m not saying he’s a better coach, but his offensive philosophy would thrive with this team..

See, after these last few years, I’ve lost a little faith in JAB. Some of his decisions have frankly left me befuddled and confused. Much more so because a lot of them have seemed so in conflict from the HOF’er that i THOUGHT I knew all these years.
Boeheim was always about defense first. His bench might’ve been short but it was always fair, in that you never got the impression he was willfully restricting players who were clearly better than one of his chosen starters.
I’m not so confident that this version of Jim Boeheim will give these incoming players a fair shot, or get the most out of them w/out the prerequisite criticisms and other nonsense. To be honest, I’m skeptical that he can.
I have always thought of JB's teams as O first, at least Big East JB. When he went all in on the Zone, IMO it was more about masking good O players on D, forcing teams into lower percentage 3 point shots, forcing turnovers (where have they been the last decade?), masking the short bench by conversing energy on D, and having the players setup for the fast break (remember those?). He collected talent and put them in a Zone. ACC JB has recruited to the Zone.

A sub 500 season has been brewing for quite some time... it's no surprise that is where we are at at this juncture. You could argue we should be ready for this.

There will be critiques and H0T Takes.

Best thing to do on the numerous tough losses?? Don't take them too seriously.

Take the "Oh Well" approach and don't let them ruin your day/weekend. The same goes for the negativity of the board.

There will be time to be more engaged and less apathetic with the program when there is reason to be.

Until that time, water off a duck's back... That's what I am trying to do, anyways.

There ARE other things to do with your time, it's worth remembering.

I'm here first and foremost for the camaraderie. I came to the board through Dan Johnson and his postings and honor those that came before us. At some point humans endure losses of all kinds. Losing at sports is pretty tame in comparison.

Secondly, I come here for the analysis provided by many here. I find people here everyday that impress me with their understanding of sports, SU's involvement on many levels, recruiting, and views on the future.

I get the frustration but college sports are dynamic with changes most every day. I've enjoyed many good moments in following SU sports and a bunch of not so good moments as well. That won't change but I prefer to enjoy the ride...I like rollercoasters...

Great post.

I try not to be negative - hopefully my posting history would indicate that. I think it may seem worse right now because previously, there was always hope that JB would pull a rabbit out of his hat and turn things around. I'm not sure many people feel like that's going to happen at this point, so it's sort of a waiting game.

I'll still watch every game and cheer like heck, but it's hard even for me to be as optimistic as I want to be.

I have always thought of JB's teams as O first, at least Big East JB. When he went all in on the Zone, IMO it was more about masking good O players on D, forcing teams into lower percentage 3 point shots, forcing turnovers (where have they been the last decade?), masking the short bench by conversing energy on D, and having the players setup for the fast break (remember those?). He collected talent and put them in a Zone. ACC JB has recruited to the Zone.

The thing about the zone, as many have commented, is that players are better shooters from 3 than they used to be. Steph Curry is Joe Girard's inspiration, and the idea that 27 feet is not a bad shot.

When they first introduced the 3 point shot in 1987, teams averaged 3.5 makes in 9 attempts - an average of almost 39%, but based on being selective in terms of when to take them.

A couple years ago, they moved the line back to the International Distance, and teams average making 7.75 shots out of 22.45 attempts per team per game. So, the year after the increase in distance, shooting percentage went down to an average of 34.2%. This year, with more practice from the longer distance, the top 50 shooting teams are above 37% from three.

As teams take more and more threes, and make more of them per game, the zone HAS to have elite athletes at the edges of the zone to contest shots from 25 feet now, not just 20 feet away. That opens up passing lanes, and makes players run farther to recover and close out open shooters.

Despite the lack of athleticism in our starting lineup, the whole concept of the zone is becoming obsolete as the game changes, and the Steph Currys of the world encourage players to get comfortable with deeper and deeper shots. Shooting from 25-27 feet, you have to admit, results in fewer contested shots / more open looks.

Jim Boeheim has no problem airing his grievances. He doesn’t have a filter. He can take it.
He's a man. He's 40, well 77. Criticize him, not players who are doing all the right things.
images

One of the hardest parts of this season is I can't get on the board when we lose.

Ultimately, this is all here for our entertainment. But it's part of my life and I love basketball, our team, our coach, and all of you punks.

When we lose, I can't take the negativity, the bitching and moaning, the hyperbolic complaints, the calls for people's jobs, bashing kids who want to win more than you do giving it their all, etc. Just can't do it. I get this is how some vent and everyone is different. But in my mind we're still going to turn this season around. And if we don't, there's a billion people in China who don't even know what a Boeheim is.

The hardest part of the season is my inevitable self ban until the heat from a loss is over. Even in wins this year, the negativity from others isn't giving me joy, it's sucking it from me.

Realistic or not, call me a polyanna, I honestly don't care. This year sucks because the board is no longer the first thing I check when I wake up or go to sleep like it has been since the 90's. And that sucks. Hopefully come March we have more to cheer for and this place lightens up. If not, I guess I'll be around until the sky starts falling in football in early September and this place becomes another cesspool of negativity.

I got to where you are about two years ago. I rarely take more than a cursory look at the board for 24 hours after any game (win or loss). I look for the posters I like and respect and always try to read SWC and Tomcat's reports.

With that said, I've actually kind of turned that feeling on its head lately. I'm always upset when SU loses, and when I'm really upset I'll come to the board to see how bats**t insane some other people are. For some reason it always makes me feel better to know I'm A) not alone in my craziness about SU and B) not nearly as angry or miserable as a great number of people on the board. For whatever reason, that actually helps!

I am both a "Cuse and Cowboys fan. Hard times but I'll get through it.
I mean we did just win 12 games. I'm still optimistic going forward. Can't say the same for cuse. I honestly never thought I'd see the day where we weren't at least a bubble team.

I do. And that's the point. It's sad. I don't expect everyone to be puppydog tails and roses, but unbridled negativity isn't heathy. At least for me, and I've been a part of this board since nearly it's inception and it's never been worse than it is today.
I totally get what you’re saying. But it was inevitable that the board would become overwhelmingly negative considering this is shaping up to be Syracuse’s worst season since 1968-69 (in 53 years!) And if it was one isolated bad season, we could all live with that a little bit easier. But it’s coming on top of 7 straight seasons of mostly white-knuckling it to try to make the tourney after 40+ years of mostly top 25 teams. Many of us milddle aged folks and younger have never experienced a completely irrelevant Syracuse basketball team, which it looks like this team could be. It’s incredibly jarring after 50 seasons of winning basketball. I’m usually the Hope springs eternal type. After we lost to Duke and Georgia Tech in February last year, I insisted that if we could beat UNC and Clemson and win a game or two in the ACC tourney, we’d have a legit chance to make the tourney. I always felt last year’s team had potential. This year’s team is just so shockingly poor on defense, I don’t see how they can finish any better than .500 or just above.

Last edited:

Well stated, sir. Especially the part about enduring losses. I like (and will continue to enjoy) the ride, too.

I totally get what you’re saying. But it was inevitable that the board would become overwhelmingly negative considering this is shaping up to be Syracuse’s worst season since 1968-69 (in 53 years!) And if it was one isolated bad season, we could all live with that a little bit easier. But it’s coming on top of 7 straight seasons of mostly white-knuckling it to try to make the tourney after 40+ years of mostly top 25 teams. Many of us milddle aged folks and younger have never experienced a completely irrelevant Syracuse basketball team, which it looks like this team could be. It’s incredibly jarring after 50 seasons of winning basketball. I’m usually the Hope springs eternal type. After we lost to Duke and Georgia Tech in February last year, I insisted that if we could beat UNC and Clemson and win a game or two in the ACC tourney, we’d have a legit chance to make the tourney. I always felt last year’s team had potential. This year’s team is just so shockingly poor on defense, I don’t see how they can finish any better than .500 or just above.

Great post.

I think the thing you said that resonates the most is the fear of slipping into irrelevance. Our football team was "in the conversation", in the rankings, and talked about on TV every weekend - for about 15 years when I was a young adult, and a similar period when I was a kid, which were my father and grandfather's teams. We always made the highlights. People were always aware of the line on our game. We were in all the parlay sheets.

Football had a great chance following the recent 10 win season with TV-Ready Tommy, and a hot charismatic coach in Dino.

Once more, we feel hope in football. We went from 1 win to 5. We might have made a bowl with some depth, some better decision making from the coaches, and a few more playmakers at key positions.

You have to be honest. All the moves so far create optimism on the gridiron.

We cannot allow ourselves to go into the hole of irrelevance, or "Bottom 10" lists for hoops. We have literally been there for football, and it is a long way back from that for any program.

Igor was one big long run on sentence who did not know punctuation or capitalization. But he was fun to read, even if he was predictable.
I think you are referring to CaliCuse, who also passed away.

These are just kids playing a game. We should remember that as well.
I don’t know if I’d fully agree with that. They’re not a bunch of 8 to 10 year olds playing soccer on a Saturday morning. NCAA basketball is a big time business. These players get scholarships and now have NIL opportunities. They benefit from the business of college basketball. To infer they are protected from any criticism is a bit of an over reach, imo.

I don’t know if I’d fully agree with that. They’re not a bunch of 8 to 10 year olds playing soccer on a Saturday morning. NCAA basketball is a big time business. These players get scholarships and now have NIL opportunities. They benefit from the business of college basketball. To infer they are protected from any criticism is a bit of an over reach, imo.

It's just something I tell myself to try lessen the impact of our losses and program decline on my mood.

Full disclosure, I really don't believe either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom