Onondaga County Planning Board Minutes - Football Operations Center | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Onondaga County Planning Board Minutes - Football Operations Center

I have to wonder what the Petty and Iocolana families think about this... Just as I wondered about the Lampe family when the Lally Center was announced to replace the Lampe complex. These were all big, much heralded, gifts in their day. Do they just disappear into nothingness?
Hopefully someone will come up with different areas, being named for previous donors.

I have to wonder what the Petty and Iocolana families think about this... Just as I wondered about the Lampe family when the Lally Center was announced to replace the Lampe complex. These were all big, much heralded, gifts in their day. Do they just disappear into nothingness?
Was wondering the same thing

It’s a good question. Many here have argued naming rights can be sold to highest bidder regardless of language laid out in initial contract documents protecting the naming rights. Maybe the issue is they are demolishing the building and naming rights cease at that point. Still seems unfair to petty and iocolana.

The families retain a vote on the release of number 44.

given all the fields in place just where would the field hockey move and the million to replace it come from?
What should have happened is the practice fields and the IPF should have been “picked up and placed” where Coyne is and Coyne or a new field hockey field along with new seating should have been placed/combined with the soccer field to create a complex with shared locker and public amenities between them. Real estate is a challenge, but that would have been a smarter arrangement of space in my opinion. They will not likely spend what it will take to put a building between two buildings, especially given where/how they placed the AC system for the IPF. Lots of short sighted moves that could have been avoided with better long term planning. This is the kind of concern I was raising in the initial response to this new facility. I don’t have any problem with the idea, but the execution needs to be right.

And like we both said, this was a matter of not wanting to spend an extra couple million to allow for it. People don’t realize or remember just how cheaply the IPF was funded. Of the publicized $17million, only about $10million went to the IPF.

I've thought about that as well CTO. My suggestion, the "Petty-Iocolana Sports Center at the Lally Athletics Complex" or something along those lines.

What should have happened is the practice fields and the IPF should have been “picked up and placed” where Coyne is and Coyne or a new field hockey field along with new seating should have been placed/combined with the soccer field to create a complex with shared locker and public amenities between them. Real estate is a challenge, but that would have been a smarter arrangement of space in my opinion. They will not likely spend what it will take to put a building between two buildings, especially given where/how they placed the AC system for the IPF. Lots of short sighted moves that could have been avoided with better long term planning. This is the kind of concern I was raising in the initial response to this new facility. I don’t have any problem with the idea, but the execution needs to be right.

And like we both said, this was a matter of not wanting to spend an extra couple million to allow for it. People don’t realize or remember just how cheaply the IPF was funded. Of the publicized $17million, only about $10million went to the IPF.
almost like they had no long term ideas and were worried they wouldnt be able to pay for it and have a partial build someplace.

Was there a targeted building start date mentioned? I wonder how long it takes to build and how does the team function without its facilities for an extended period of time?

Hoping they find a way to continue to recognize all these major donors as well as the Manley family.

Whatever we do, it won't be enough. Whenever we build something it either isn't good enough or our opposition will soon have something better.

I wonder...is everything that somebody else built that is better than what we have something that that money should have been spent on? Do we have to keep up with the Joneses if the Jones are nuts? If something is 15 years old, is it really deficient compared to something that's 5 years old?

Whatever we do, it won't be enough. Whenever we build something it either isn't good enough or our opposition will soon have something better.

I wonder...is everything that somebody else built that is better than what we have something that that money should have been spent on? Do we have to keep up with the Joneses if the Jones are nuts? If something is 15 years old, is it really deficient compared to something that's 5 years old?

If you want to consistently compete in college sports you do.

Last edited:
It’s a good question. Many here have argued naming rights can be sold to highest bidder regardless of language laid out in initial contract documents protecting the naming rights. Maybe the issue is they are demolishing the building and naming rights cease at that point. Still seems unfair to petty and iocolana.
Im sure they will be honored.

I think the challenge is whether or not it’s deficient when it’s built. If that is the case, it will surely be deficient 5 and 15 years from now. Good planning is not an extravagance.

I think the challenge is whether or not it’s deficient when it’s built. If that is the case, it will surely be deficient 5 and 15 years from now. Good planning is not an extravagance.

And if it isn't, how long will it still be 'good' before somebody wants it replaced?

And if it isn't, how long will it still be 'good' before somebody wants it replaced?
It’s all about priorities. A Porsche is a solid sports car designed to go fast. It was never about heated seats, or LED ground effects, or fuel efficiency or even capacity and comfort. Heck, the interiors are sparse and loud. A 1980’s Porsche still looks good and still goes fast. A 1960’s roadster is still a sought after classic.

I wonder if the Archbold family was disappointed when the Carrier Corporation stole their famed location.

Have to hold my nose when I watch the sport. A football “operations center”. Give me a big freaking break.

I would love to see all this extraneous stupid wasteful bs curtailed somehow. But I don’t see how.
I agree. It’s just one of the many reasons college sports is less appealing to me.

I agree. It’s just one of the many reasons college sports is less appealing to me.
"Fooball Operations center" makes it sound like NASA or the Pentagon.

"Fooball Operations center" makes it sound like NASA or the Pentagon.

Ok - what would you name it?

You know, the central location where all the football-related operations take place?

Have to hold my nose when I watch the sport. A football “operations center”. Give me a big freaking break.

I would love to see all this extraneous stupid wasteful bs curtailed somehow. But I don’t see how.
I’m wondering why this in particular would be considered wasteful? “Operations center” = offices and meeting rooms. Standard fare for D1 sports at all levels.

Clemson has a whiffle ball field and a slide and that’s prob a bit much.

And yet the Carrier name lives on...