Onondaga County Planning Board Minutes - Football Operations Center | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Onondaga County Planning Board Minutes - Football Operations Center

Ok - what would you name it?

You know, the central location where all the football-related operations take place?
The "He-man, Woman-haters Club".
he-man-woman-haters-club-609x372.jpg

Can't let this thread continue without a quick recognition that planning boards are comprised of self-congratulatory stunads full of boastful arrogance and vainglory. Carry on!
Who generally achieve personal satisfaction by denying the dreams and ambitions of the doers and movers of the community.

And Dino will have his very own Bond villain lair, complete with his “spooky” “cats”.
8D00B7FF-A579-41FB-8CE9-362F1AE2582F.jpeg

NASA has the "Mission Operations Center", or the MOCR.

SU has the "Football Operations Center, or the FOCR.

Dino better get those FOCRs straightened out.

Gotta keeps eyes on the FOCRs at all times.

I don't have insider information really but more an opinion from someone who works with the athletics department on a weekly basis.

Are they going to spend and build like Clemson? Never.

However, they are going to put in the max they can to support Dino/the football program. That was told to me in the fall and since then they've hired 3 experienced coaches and now embark on a big facilities push to make sure Cuse is even or better than peer schools.

This is where I think they totally blew it on the location of the IPF. They left Coyne (the field hockey field) in between Manley/Iacolano-Petty and that makes that connection a lot more difficult. I was really disappointed with where they placed it.

Planning, man.

I have to wonder what the Petty and Iocolana families think about this... Just as I wondered about the Lampe family when the Lally Center was announced to replace the Lampe complex. These were all big, much heralded, gifts in their day. Do they just disappear into nothingness?

Same. And I imagine you'd be too gracious to share if you think otherwise, but if I were a big donor this (and the ongoing dishonest treatment of the "Carrier Dome" name) might make me think twice about giving.

Of course most donors are giving out of generosity, not to see their name plastered on something. But still, it seems unfortunate for name donors' identity to just vanish.

Ok - what would you name it?

You know, the central location where all the football-related operations take place?

"Roy Simmons Coaches Office Building"?

Oh wait, that's taken.

Except when Roy's name comes off the building in a few months, maybe it could be repurposed.

Good to see RandomGuy getting excited about the project. Hearing that facade was a very preliminary drawing and the final design is going to be changed. There has to be a total redo of the locker room as part of this project. All these projects feature a fancy locker room redo as a major feature. This one has to as well. Not sure where the lockers are going to be, but I bet they are coming, and I expect to see lots of flat screen TVs, LED lighting, polished, gleaming hard wood and shiny chrome featured prominently.
Fantastic news on the facade. I've been excited all along...;-)

In an ideal world, a new FOC might be attached to the IPF. I just think weight rooms looking on to the outdoor practice fields are awesome. No biggie, though. I think its fair to say that Coyne will remain in its current location. With closed practice, at least we'll be able to get shots of players walking over...lol

With Locolano-petty slated to be demolished, I'm very excited to see the upgrades. I actually don't think it was that bad. The entrance was nice, the weight room was nice, the team room nice, etc... The locker room was a bit behind.

If I was prioritizing, I would put the locker room #1. Make that thing pop. #1A the weight room. These are the 2 places players "live". While I like our current weight room, you can always make things nicer.

I'd also prioritize the menu, in the dining facility WITH an added nutritionist/chef. Its decent, but kids get sick of eating the same things each day. (So do I, lol) Upping the food game will ALWAYS help with the big guys.

While grab n go bags are nice? With mask requirements, players werent able to eat them on the bus or in class, so some couldn't eat until after lunch. While scheduling issues will always remain? I'd factor in covid restrictions to make sure each player had 15 minutes to grab a bite before rushing out to go to class.

Locker room, weight room, food. 3 most important IMO. (With food being a close #1 for the big guys)

Same. And I imagine you'd be too gracious to share if you think otherwise, but if I were a big donor this (and the ongoing dishonest treatment of the "Carrier Dome" name) might make me think twice about giving.

Of course most donors are giving out of generosity, not to see their name plastered on something. But still, it seems unfortunate for name donors' identity to just vanish.
You have to think that their names will carry on within the new facility somehow, don’t see how they can just take something like that away.

Have to hold my nose when I watch the sport. A football “operations center”. Give me a big freaking break.

I would love to see all this extraneous stupid wasteful bs curtailed somehow. But I don’t see how.
How is it wasteful BS? This is how our economy runs

This is how and why donors get wings of buildings and such.

Have to hold my nose when I watch the sport. A football “operations center”. Give me a big freaking break.

I would love to see all this extraneous stupid wasteful bs curtailed somehow. But I don’t see how.
I see how. Pay them like the NFL. College facilities are nicer than NFL facilities to entice players. I dont want the NFL model, but they don't need "wasteful" facilities to entice players. This is the economic reality the NCAA built. I see this as functioning in that (ridiculous) model.

I see how. Pay them like the NFL. College facilities are nicer than NFL facilities to entice players. I dont want the NFL model, but they don't need "wasteful" facilities to entice players. This is the economic reality the NCAA built. I see this as functioning in that (ridiculous) model.
No doubt. The facilities are akin to payment in stock options or other perqs to circumvent salary caps.

Good to see RandomGuy getting excited about the project. Hearing that facade was a very preliminary drawing and the final design is going to be changed. There has to be a total redo of the locker room as part of this project. All these projects feature a fancy locker room redo as a major feature. This one has to as well. Not sure where the lockers are going to be, but I bet they are coming, and I expect to see lots of flat screen TVs, LED lighting, polished, gleaming hard wood and shiny chrome featured prominently.
As of right now there is nothing in the works LED wise from our end

You have to think that their names will carry on within the new facility somehow, don’t see how they can just take something like that away.

Hope so. And you'd have to think that someone in development has reached out to the Manleys, the Lampes, the Pettys, the Iocolanos, the Simmonses, etc.

If I recall correctly, when the College of Law moved out of the complex that included a less than 20-year-old building named after the Mrs. MacNaughton, her family wound up making another donation for the new building. Again, someone obviously put in the legwork on that one. But that's a little different than renaming a complex and series of buildings that already have people's names on them.

As of right now there is nothing in the works LED wise from our end
I certainly hope that changes. Seems the norm now.

I particularly like the Texas locker room. Sure. It looks like a store with a limitless selection of beer in fancy coolers. Has some nice end cap displays. (See what I did there? Lol) I like it. Even has a finished ceiling which is nice. Love that orange lighting.

Screenshot_20220104-110507_Chrome.jpg

I certainly hope that changes. Seems the norm now.

I particularly like the Texas locker room. Sure. It looks like a store with a limitless selection of beer in fancy coolers. Has some nice end cap displays. (See what I did there? Lol) I like it. Even has a finished ceiling which is nice. Love that orange lighting.

View attachment 212429
This locker room hasn’t helped Texas win many games.